iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

detriot 453

Started by poorfarm, March 06, 2012, 09:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poorfarm

noticed engine oil running out of exhaust clamp not much but turned side pannel black? is this because i have not been working it hard clearing a small house site??

semologger

Is this a turbo motor?

poorfarm

no turbo.1980  the only thing i changed was took some fuel from a house fuel tank. the unit started to gel up i let it run for about 20 min and it came out of it but now the oil issue.. 

OntarioAl

poorfarm
Looks like wet stacking, Detroits do not take kindly to idling.
They have an inherant tendancy to slobber oil every where when idling  lots of air moving internally and the motor does not come up to operating temperature.
Detroits perform best when worked in the upper limits orf their RPM range.
Hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

grassfed

I agree with Al on the wet stacking. Not a huge deal it should go away when it is working hard under load. Do you have a temp gauge? Try to bring it up to operating temp and work it for awhile every time you start it if this is possible.
Mike

lumberjack48

poorfarm if you don't get on the throttle your going to ruin the motor. This is coming from 30 yrs experience with running Detroit's. Its blowing excess fuel out the exhaust pipe and washing the piston rings clean, this will cause excessive ware on the rings and could even score a cylinder.

Run in a lower gear and get on the throttle, pedal to medal, this what Detroit's love.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

poorfarm

what temp should it run? most of the time 140

jocco

140 or less is a little cool check the thermostat. You could also have injector problems.
You may check out but you will never leave

jocco

Lumberjack for detroits  they used to say around here "put her in the corner and let her scream"!!! smiley_devilish

Quote from: lumberjack48 on March 06, 2012, 12:26:25 PM
poorfarm if you don't get on the throttle your going to ruin the motor. This is coming from 30 yrs experience with running Detroit's. Its blowing excess fuel out the exhaust pipe and washing the piston rings clean, this will cause excessive ware on the rings and could even score a cylinder.

Run in a lower gear and get on the throttle, pedal to medal, this what Detroit's love.
You may check out but you will never leave

lumberjack48

I believe it should have a 180 degree thermostat in it, I'm not positive on this but I'm pretty sure.
A two stroke engine has to be run hard to operate correctly. This is why most guys don't like them. Even if your not doing anything you still have to sound like you are.

Make sure air cleaner is clean, Detroit needs a lot of air.

Sometimes that stove fuel looks like #3 fuel and smells like it, add 5 gals of #i to it, and run the heck out of it to get it cleaned up.

140 isn't hot enough, see if it warms up running it hard, when running hard it should run closer to 180-200 then 140.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

sandhills

As long as were on the subject I just climbed out of my semi, 318 detriot, and have always wondered how many rpm is too many?  There's no redline on the tach and was just wondering how hard you guys twist them, seems like if I'm not down shifting between 1900-2000 I'm going back to the bottom of the hill for another run  move_it. All of our detriots run at 180 also, little warmer when really pulling hard.

poorfarm

ya i have had 2 units with 353's 225 super e's never had a issue but then again i had to beat them to get them to move.. this is in a tj 380 plenty of power 3 speed clark. got it a year ago pulled cordwood..it may not have thermistat? had a huge hitch of hemlock behind it never broke 160....? also at wot it seems to pop a little is it spining to fast????

lumberjack48

Quote from: sandhills on March 06, 2012, 04:04:37 PM
As long as were on the subject I just climbed out of my semi, 318 detriot, and have always wondered how many rpm is too many?  There's no redline on the tach and was just wondering how hard you guys twist them, seems like if I'm not down shifting between 1900-2000 I'm going back to the bottom of the hill for another run  move_it. All of our detriots run at 180 also, little warmer when really pulling hard.

sandhills a 318 only turns 2100 rpm

poorfarm that 453 turns 2800, sounds like a airplane, it shouldn't be making a popping noise, the noise could be the muffler.
When they hit peak rpm, they cackle, thats what i call it.
It must have a 140 degree thermostat in it, it should have a 180. 

poorfarm

I will check the theristat ....thanks guys for all the help.

snowstorm

Quote from: sandhills on March 06, 2012, 04:04:37 PM
2100 rpm dont lug it at all never below 1500rpm they will stand 2500 forever turbo? 180degree is just rite 200 is too hot may run that hot in the hills for a few min.

DDDfarmer

My 353  runs at 150, and 160 under heavy load if I remember right.

And always pedal to the metal while moving, very fast idle while sitting.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

sandhills

Lumberjack, mine isn't in a skidder, they may be goverend different than my semi, mine will hit 2500 in the blink of an eye, and them some if you let it, I don't.  Usually 1900 to 2250 is where it has the most power, I don't run it over 2250 and just try to keep up with downshifting, didn't know if I was hurting anything running it to 2250.

snowstorm, it has the big blower under the intake, she really whistles until it starts pulling down a little and I miss a gear, or two, or three.  That's usually when I back down the hill and try again  ::).

snowstorm

factory setting was 2100rpm. no load rpm will be 150 higher. so in netural floor it it will spin to 2250. it should do that. what year is it? green or sliver? turbo charged?

poorfarm

does any one have a parts book for this 453?

logman81

look on ebay thats where I got my operators manual for my 453. ;)
Precision Firewood & Logging

lumberjack48

Quote from: snowstorm on March 07, 2012, 05:50:06 AM
factory setting was 2100rpm. no load rpm will be 150 higher. so in netural floor it it will spin to 2250. it should do that. what year is it? green or sliver? turbo charged?

A 318 turbo charged is 350 hp, the power band is between 1900 to 2300 rpm. Staying in the power band depends on your transmission set up and not missing gears  ;D
I had a 250 Cummings with a 4x4 double stick in a A-Car, i was having trouble down shifting, i learned that i was letting the rpm drop a little to low.

sandhills

This one is in a little cabover Freightliner, '73 I believe.  It's green, with what I'm going to call the blower (?) under the air intake and apparently either my govenor doesn't work or it doesn't have one, trust me the last thing you'd want to do is put in neutral and flat foot it, especially since you're sitting on top of it  :D.  I've been hauling grain with it the last few days and our gravel roads are REALLY soft right now which makes for a very hard pull, have a couple big hills to pull that you can't get a run at, so yes I know all about not missing gears  ;D.  I don't ever go much over 2200 and if the going is easy it's usually closer to 1900.  To quit highjacking and get back to the original question, my 318 does the same thing, not as bad after warmed up good but pretty sure there's one dead cylinder on that bank, and yes it makes a mess.  That side always smokes more also.

Tom L

on my 353 no turbo it runs at 190 degrees. and if it idles for too long it will wet stack

if the rpms run up all the time it does not wetstack and runs better. this engine is in a forklift.

snowstorm

a 1973 could be as low as 290hp up to 318 depending on injectors. sounds like someone turned yours up. the sliver engine was a big improvement. the sliver 8v71 turbo was 370hp. i had my first 671 in 1977. ford lt 9000 with a 5 and a 4. later relpaced it with a 6v92 big improvement. the 92 series is much beter than a 71. the 6v92 turbo in a truck went from 290hp for a fuel squeaser [as detriot called it] up to 400hp if it was dedec engine. if it was a boat engine as much as 550hp

Thank You Sponsors!