iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lifting Hook name?

Started by BOBWOOD, March 05, 2012, 01:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOBWOOD

Hi...this is kinda stupid...I have been searching for a hook assembly to use in place of a log loader clam...I have seen one but don't know what it is called exactly...it has a section of heavy walled pipe(1 1/2" IDx8" long) at the top to put the pin through...then a swivel mechanisim with a hook attached to that...(I want to be able to lift stuff with just a chain,sling or tongs)...pretty simple but I can't seem to find what I'm searching for today....BOB

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

redlaker1

you want to put this on an excavator?  or on a tractor bucket?  crane truck?

not sure what you are talking about.    do you want a chain grab hook or a slip hook with a safety catch?

if we knew what you wanted to adapt the hook to it would help

OntarioAl

BobWood
I think I have an idea of what you are searching for.
It is a swivel eye hoist hook (see lumberjack48's link) adapted to the linkage connecting a wood clam to the loader.
The item you saw was for is custom made for that application, I doubt if it is commercialy available.
Hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

BOBWOOD

The hook I'm looking for is similar to the swivel hooks shown on that link, however, in place of that small dia. forged upper eye it is a long pipe/bushing to pin onto the end of the log loader stick in place of the clam...of course they must be used for backhoes too in place of the bucket...
As for my purpose it wouldn't matter if it had a slip or grab hook or even just an eye...just something I could attach any number of things too....like a chain, sling, rope, electric hoist etc...
I am going to make the log loader so it can be fixed in an A-frame configuration with a couple of pieces of pipe directing the weight directly down to the rear axle...so that it is safer to work around and can lift more too...I'm going for versatility here...the log clam is great for logging but why have it on there all the time (all its extra weight) if I don't need it?....
I could just use the hook with the forged eye but I just thought I'd try and find the proper one as I know they exist as I've seen them before.BOB

Thank You Sponsors!