iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain Question

Started by JohnG28, March 05, 2012, 12:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

I have a Jonsered 490 that I have started working on as a little project. When I pulled the b/c I found that it has 3/8" drive sprocket on it.  The bar doesn't have any markings on it as to the chain gauge, pitch, or drive link count, or at least not that I found.  It looks to be the original bar, as I can barely make out Jonsered showing through.  Counting the drive links on the chain it came with, there are 57.  I looked on Baileys and found a 3/8" pitch bar that will fit it, but it says 59 drive link.  Anyone know if this would work on this saw?  I'm pretty sure that it is .058 gauge, and the bar I found matches that.  Also, would there be any benefit to converting to .325?  Thanks for any help.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

John Mc

Determining bar gauge:

If it's not too worn, and you have a micrometer, you can measure the thickness of the drive link to determine gauge.

Alternatively, you can uses the 36 cent bar gauge (courtesy of forum sponsor, Bailey's): If your bar is not too worn or the bar rails aren't sprung or pinched, A dime will just fit in an .050 bar slot, a penny will fit an .058, and a quarter will fit an .063

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JohnG28

Thanks John.  I'm pretty sure that it's .058 gauge, I checked it with chain I know is .050.  The drive link count has me a little confused though. I'm not sure why what I've found is different from what's on it already.  I don't want to buy anything that won't work or will have to be broken and shortened.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Clam77

Good possibility it's already been broken and shortened...
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

JohnG28

I was thinking maybe that was the case.  The chain is pretty much worn out, so that's a definite possibility. I am ordering a new bar so I suppose I'll try a loop with 59 DL and see what happens.  I was thinking maybe i missed something somewhere.  Thanks for the input. 

Thank You Sponsors!