iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Underwater Logging

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, February 16, 2004, 06:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

The thing is Deadheader, before the state shut things down, they got the bright idea that those logs were worth more $$$.
Before they were just taking a simple stumpage fee, then they changed to a high % of value of log.

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, them are greedy little B*****ds alright.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

dan-l-b

Hey weekender, I saw the show too.  It was awsome. 8) 8)  The web site for the company was www.tritonlogging.com.  Dan

Kirk_Allen

Fla:
Use a long hollow steel pole with a slight point on the end and an opening about 3/16ths of an inch in the tip.  Run a SCUBA tank or an SCBA tank to the pole.  With a control valve on the pole you can use the compressed air to blow apart the sand and the pole will go down until it hits something had like a log or a rock.

This method is used on the flats near Turnagain Arm (south of Anchorage Alaska) when people get stuck in the mud, or galcier silt.  The compressed air will help to open up the locked particles so that people can get there feet out.  The same principal will work in any soil type.

WoodHead

I was fortunate to be able to acquire some wood from an underwater logging operation. The logs came from a deep lake in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. They were being sawed up for flooring. The end cuts were being split up for firewood so I rescued some of the better pieces and turned them into bowls. The wood was all hard (sugar) maple and produced some very colorful pieces. Apparently the sap is replaced by water over a long period and the minerals in the water will react with the wood to produce color. The predominant colors I have seen are yellow, blue and shades of gray. The wood is extremely stable and exhibits very little warpage after it is green turned.

The nice thing about turning is you can use pieces that nobody else wants. In this case they were salvaged from a firewood pile.

Fla._Deadheader

That's what we found. The wood is very stable.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ron Scott

Canadian Company Invents Underwater Logging Machine

Triton Logging Inc., a company based in Vancouver Island, British Columbia, has invented an underwater logging robot to harvest wood in areas never before possible, such as the waters of British Columbia's largest reservoirs.

According to Canada's National Post, BC's reservoirs contain an estimated five billion board feet of submerged timber. Around the world, 45,000 such locations hold an estimated 300 million trees, which could be worth as much as $50 billion.

The company has built three models of its $1.2 million patented Sawfish, a bright-yellow submarine about the size of a Volkswagen Beetle. Last year, it raised 25,000 trees from the depths.

~Ron

sawguy21

There is a huge amount of submerged wood here. During the 50's and 60's dams were built under the Columbia River treaty to supply power for the U.S. in return for big dollars which were used to build roads and other infrastructure. There was no time to log the areas before flooding, it was a feeding frenzy. The reservoirs are dangerous for boating as there is a lot of debris and every so often, a tree will break loose and shoot  up like a Saturn rocket then drop back just under the surface. There have been efforts to economically salvage the timber for veneer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

semologger

my favorite show dirty jobs had a show about underwater logging. it showed the mill operation also. the cut the lumber in real thin strips. i think it was used for office desk and furniture pretty neat stuff how the water preserves the wood. high dollar stuff.

Ron Scott

~Ron

cdnwoodchuck

I have had the good fortune of meeting and talking with the inventers of the Sawfish, and they came and gave a presentation to my local woodworking guild.

Here is their website - http://www.tritonlogging.com/engineering.html

Enjoy!
Matt

Ron Scott

Some Underwater logging planned for Flathead Lake in Montana if permits can be obtained.

MT - Removing Flathead Logs Gets Complex
http://www.timberbuysell.com/Community/DisplayNews.asp?id=4233

~Ron

beenthere

Ron
Have a good friend (retired USFS) who built a house on the Flathead. I'll see if he has some info on the underwater logging.

Thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redneck logger

i have seen it work on the discovery channel, i myself thougthit was  a nice machine,i think it would do ok around here because in hailafax,nova soctia there is a lake called govener lake the size of an ocean.
got to love working in the woods

John Woodworth

Years ago they drained Lake Cushman (Wash. State) to work on the dam and the salvage was brought to me to saw, was beautiful old growth fir ranging in size 2 to 4 foot. I cut it all into door stock material, many pieces well exceded the growth ring count, some over 30 per inch.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Don K

I bet that was neat. I dream of the big cypress and old growth long leaf I know is buried under the mud in our local rivers. I know they are there as my grandaddy talked of unloading his trucks into the river when he was a young fella.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Chico

you know DonK they used to get that Cypres s from the greater Ala rivr Swampand take it all the way to fla in huge stringers and booms Theres still some there theres also some mahoganey and tropical cedar in a few places down there If I ever get enough money I plan on investigating it further
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Don K

First time I've seen you post, Chico. Welcome
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

fishpharmer

I know a certified diver, with a fair amount of river experience.

He is a little overweight and out of shape.  Likes a challenge.

ME ;D

So if someone works up a plan in the next five years, maybe I could help, especially southeast.
I will be too old after that :D

That fella on axeman diving tonight was a tough fella.  I hope I can retire by then.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chico

The ones I know where they're at are in warm mater but sharks may be a prob on one of the locations the other thers a few Gatorand a few american saltys s but I still think they can be done I'm not sure you couldn't use a dragline and a bottom sounder to get the mahogoney , anderobia and cedar It's been there for 30 -35 yrs the cypress and heart pine closer to 100 -130 yrs We've got some co-ordinates on some of it we're just waiting on the right time We already have a release from the orig owner of the logs so maybe something will happen My biggest concern Is sea worms some of the logs we got from overseas had worms in them Most had died during the trip and we feel sure they should ok but That's just another factor to worry about
I'm always looking for something diff to try Only go around once
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Fla._Deadheader

We logged the brackish-fresh waters of the Middle St. John's, Oklawaha in central Florida. Logs exposed to the water for LONG periods, did have worm holes, but, mostly surface. Under the slab cuts, it was good as new. The HeartPine was punky on the outside. Some, buried under the sand, was good as new. Problem we had was seeing anything. Black water diving at it's finest.

Never DID worry bout Gators, sharks or anything live. More concerned with MANMADE junk, like abandoned trotlines, wrecked boat debris, outboard motors, fishing lures, crab pots with hidden parachute cord buoy lines, and "Enviros" turning us in for "stealing" logs, even though we were REQUIRED to have permit signs posted on the boats.

Kinda miss those days. It was always interesting to see what each log looked like, as they broke surface.  :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Chico

yes permits are a pain but luckily for part of the logs the owner gave me ownership as they were already paid for and tariffs imposed at the time were paid also the cypress and heartpine all but one of the companies are defunct but I know the owner and I think we can work something out I agree with the diving the trop hardwoods are in a pretty sandy place but the other I think that located them with depthfinder or some type of sonic we may do better dipping with a dragline as we used to do from a mill pond waters only about 40 -50 ft at deepest part I gotta do some more research and save some more money I may call on you when the time is right if you don't mind Did you ever look around apalach or up in wewaw area
Chico

Fla._Deadheader

No, we were in Central Florida, Lake George area, and North. We could NOT work any Lakes. Now, I guess everything is open.

We were told of some that were over 10 feet in Diameter, but, never went looking for them.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Chico

Fla I see you're in Costa Rica now Beautiful isn't it I got to spend a short time there back in the 70's loved it I wanted to live there then but my first wife wouldn't Shoulda stayed and let her leave a little early But you know about Hindsight. Has it crowded up much down there like so many of the other places
Thanks Chico

Fla._Deadheader

It's not crowded in the north west part, where I live. I have NO plans to go to "Gringolandia", on the Pacific side.  ::) ::) Too many people. I like quiet.  ;D ;D

Right now, it's very chilly at night. Probably in the high 50's, as, I live on top of one of the taller hills, for miles. Wind and misty rain-clouds keeps the temps in the flannel shirt dept. until around 10AM.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!