TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Farmi Winch Direct

Comstock Logging

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Underwater Logging  (Read 21061 times)

Offline Don K

• Senior Member x2
  • wanna lick some wood??
Re: Underwater Logging
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2009, 11:13:46 am »
I bet that was neat. I dream of the big cypress and old growth long leaf I know is buried under the mud in our local rivers. I know they are there as my grandaddy talked of unloading his trucks into the river when he was a young fella.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Offline Chico

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 08:50:29 am »
you know DonK they used to get that Cypres s from the greater Ala rivr Swampand take it all the way to fla in huge stringers and booms Theres still some there theres also some mahoganey and tropical cedar in a few places down there If I ever get enough money I plan on investigating it further
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Offline Don K

• Senior Member x2
  • wanna lick some wood??
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2009, 08:06:12 pm »
First time I've seen you post, Chico. Welcome
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 12:20:15 am »
I know a certified diver, with a fair amount of river experience.

He is a little overweight and out of shape.  Likes a challenge.

ME ;D

So if someone works up a plan in the next five years, maybe I could help, especially southeast.
I will be too old after that :D

That fella on axeman diving tonight was a tough fella.  I hope I can retire by then.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber attachment
Woodmizer LT-40 Super Hydraulic

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Thomas A. Edison

Offline Chico

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 08:57:18 am »
The ones I know where they're at are in warm mater but sharks may be a prob on one of the locations the other thers a few Gatorand a few american saltys s but I still think they can be done I'm not sure you couldn't use a dragline and a bottom sounder to get the mahogoney , anderobia and cedar It's been there for 30 -35 yrs the cypress and heart pine closer to 100 -130 yrs We've got some co-ordinates on some of it we're just waiting on the right time We already have a release from the orig owner of the logs so maybe something will happen My biggest concern Is sea worms some of the logs we got from overseas had worms in them Most had died during the trip and we feel sure they should ok but That's just another factor to worry about
 I'm always looking for something diff to try Only go around once
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 03:30:59 pm »

We logged the brackish-fresh waters of the Middle St. John's, Oklawaha in central Florida. Logs exposed to the water for LONG periods, did have worm holes, but, mostly surface. Under the slab cuts, it was good as new. The HeartPine was punky on the outside. Some, buried under the sand, was good as new. Problem we had was seeing anything. Black water diving at it's finest.

Never DID worry bout Gators, sharks or anything live. More concerned with MANMADE junk, like abandoned trotlines, wrecked boat debris, outboard motors, fishing lures, crab pots with hidden parachute cord buoy lines, and "Enviros" turning us in for "stealing" logs, even though we were REQUIRED to have permit signs posted on the boats.

Kinda miss those days. It was always interesting to see what each log looked like, as they broke surface.  :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Offline Chico

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 04:51:31 pm »
yes permits are a pain but luckily for part of the logs the owner gave me ownership as they were already paid for and tariffs imposed at the time were paid also the cypress and heartpine all but one of the companies are defunct but I know the owner and I think we can work something out I agree with the diving the trop hardwoods are in a pretty sandy place but the other I think that located them with depthfinder or some type of sonic we may do better dipping with a dragline as we used to do from a mill pond waters only about 40 -50 ft at deepest part I gotta do some more research and save some more money I may call on you when the time is right if you don't mind Did you ever look around apalach or up in wewaw area
Chico

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 05:42:31 pm »

No, we were in Central Florida, Lake George area, and North. We could NOT work any Lakes. Now, I guess everything is open.

We were told of some that were over 10 feet in Diameter, but, never went looking for them.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Offline Chico

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2009, 08:23:44 am »
Fla I see you're in Costa Rica now Beautiful isn't it I got to spend a short time there back in the 70's loved it I wanted to live there then but my first wife wouldn't Shoulda stayed and let her leave a little early But you know about Hindsight. Has it crowded up much down there like so many of the other places
Thanks Chico

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2009, 09:36:11 am »

It's not crowded in the north west part, where I live. I have NO plans to go to "Gringolandia", on the Pacific side.  ::) ::) Too many people. I like quiet.  ;D ;D

Right now, it's very chilly at night. Probably in the high 50's, as, I live on top of one of the taller hills, for miles. Wind and misty rain-clouds keeps the temps in the flannel shirt dept. until around 10AM.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2010, 02:12:02 pm »
WA - Underwater Loggers Sunk By Law Enforcement

http://www.timberbuysell.com/Community/DisplayNews.asp?id=6222
~Ron

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2010, 02:21:40 pm »
Amazing how jealous people can get when another figures out a way to "salvage" something. WI went through the same game with the underwater logging in Lake Superior.

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 08:05:47 pm »
Michigan also.
~Ron

Offline zopi

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 09:10:22 pm »
Where ya gonna get SCUBA for de mules?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Ron Scotts Web
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2012, 03:13:25 pm »
House Rejects Deadhead Logging

Georgia Public Broadcasting (March 28) - House lawmakers have rejected a proposal that would allow people to profit by pulling logs sunken in Georgia's rivers.

The House of Representatives voted 67-93 to reject the legislation from Senate President Pro Tempore Tommie Williams.

His plan would have allowed the mining of deadhead logs, or logs that sunk when they were floated down the river so they could be sold a century ago or more. Supporters of the bill said the timber is highly prized and that the industry would create jobs.

Environmental groups argued that removing the logs could harm rivers, destroy underwater habitats, and stir up pollutants and toxins now trapped on river bottoms.

The E-Forester
~Ron

Online Jeff

• Lead Administrator and Founder
  • Administrator
  • 1920's Sawmill Hand
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2012, 03:33:18 pm »
I lean towards agreeing with that decision. I think that removal of logs that have been in a river for that long that have become part of the habitat and destruction of that habitat in the name of creating jobs or inventing income isn't a fair trade off.
I don't need to know everything, I just need to know where to find it, when I need it - Albert Einstein
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2012, 11:21:01 pm »
After seeing the yahoos that salvage the sinker logs on Ax Men, I tend to agree.  The logs are better left alone.
Woodmizer LT15, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline colinofthewoods

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2012, 02:56:59 am »
I'm a little confused on the whole under water salvage operation.  is a sunken old growth better than standing old growth ,,  timber quality wise ?

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2012, 07:49:01 am »
Being in the water in the absence of oxygen causes some reduction reactions in the wood that change the color, making it beautiful and unique.  The wood itself is not affected.
Woodmizer LT15, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline semologger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2012, 10:33:35 am »
My uncle has around a 60 acre lake. He put in 40 years ago. On one end is nothing but good tie size oak trees stumps and all they just dozed over. Then they Danged it up. The trees are in around 10 feet of water you can see them plain as day. I wonder if those tree would be worth anything.