iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Underwater Logging

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, February 16, 2004, 06:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Last Thursday when I was on a layover in San Francisco airport for 4 hours, I sat in the lounge reading a book while Martha Stewart showed me how to repot cacti. The next segment that came on amazed me, it was about a man made lake in British Coloumbia that had been flooded in the 30's there were cedars in the lake still standing under water that were 70 to 100 feet tall so these guys developed a mini sub with a grapple and harvester blade on it. It would grab onto a log, attach an air bag or 2 then cut the log off.

Amazing show. Did anyone else see this?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tom

No, I didn't.  But, I wish I had.  It sounds interesting.

Deadheader couldn't handle it though.  He's already been acclimated.  Ruint.  Blood's too thin.  He and Ed can't even go in 50 degree water anymore.  He's been Floridized.   :D

Besides .......

The water is too deep.  Ed's used to 10 to 30 feet now and that pond is over 100, eh? He might miss dinner coming up from so far down, and that wouldn't do. :D

Ron Scott

Ths site might be of interest. This Company is in BC. and does some extensive underwater logging.

http://www.aquaticcellulose.com/
~Ron

Fla._Deadheader

I mentioned to someone in a thread a while back, about looking for logs in the Susquehana River. Whoever it was lives very close, and said the Susquehana has LOTS of logs in it, from past logging practices. Can't imagine why someone doesn't pursue those logs??? Hardwoods are pretty valuable. Folks today don't realize the quality of those Old Growth Logs.

I got Ed an insulated Drysuit, Tom, and I give him a 10 minute lunch break. ;D :D :D :D

I believe our boat would be capable of supporting a 30' arm with Robot. We need a Robot with X-ray vision, though ::) ::)

Great Link, Ron ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Scott

I've dove the Susquehana River a few times near Wiliamsport, PA back in the late 70's. I remember some nice clear water, decent depths, with a lot of artifacts such as old bottles, logging tools and such and yes, logs.

~Ron

Deerlope

Underwater logging has been going on for a while near where I live. The Saint Lawrence river to be exact. They are getting some really old growth pine out of it and other types also. The water is so cold that the stuff has not rotted.
MS 230, MS 260, MS 361 Husky 576XP, Husky 390

Fla._Deadheader

Welcome to the Forum, Deerlope.

I don't think the water being cold has that much to do with rot. Here, in Fl, the water gets to 80° and the logs are fine. The Pine gets real soggy sapwood and makes it difficult to tong without ripping out. After it dries, the inner? sapwood, before the heart, becomes very usable as lumber in Flooring. Takes a nail pretty well.

Ron, CLEAR water???  Must be like Heaven diving in that ::) ::)

Any real size to them logs???  Have Barge--Will travel ;D :D :D   Any takers??? ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

ADfields

Quote I got Ed an insulated Drysuit, Tom, and I give him a 10 minute lunch break. ;D :D :D :D

I believe our boat would be capable of supporting a 30' arm with Robot. We need a Robot with X-ray vision, though ::) ::)

Great Link, Ron ;)

Just wrap some coper tube around the muffler and stick the other end in Ed's drysuit with a little pump and head north!  ;)   Works good on Alaskan gold dredging, just keep the intake in the water so you don't get a steam bath! :o :o  Can you say "hot pants"? :D :D :D
Andy

Fla._Deadheader

AD, we already done did that. Our engine don't run hard enough to heat the water???
   First, it is ridiculed;

ADfields

Alright, hook him to one of them camping shower heaters like this. ;)
http://www.hotcampshowers.com/products51784.html

Or put a weed burner in place of the muffler, that will get him right worm. :P   You can do it Harold, I know how you work. :D :D
Andy

DanG

Harold, that boy's gonna waste away to nuthin on them 10 minute lunch breaks! Time he opens the peas, then whittles hisself a spoon, he ain't got time ta eat. Ya orter give him 12.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ADfields

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ron Scott

Especially when he has to eat with an insulated dry-suit on. Not enough lunch time to take it off.  ;)
~Ron

Furby

I guess I'm pretty much screwed on this thread seeing how's I live in Michigan and all!  :-/ But I REALLY like the underwater logging idea.  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Well then Furby, just jump in a decent lookin river and take a look around.

Ever hear of the outfit in Wisconsin, that's taking logs outta Lake Superior???  Do a Google search on sunken log recovery, then you WILL be screwed ;D :D :D :D

DanG, after he carved that first spoon, I saved it. Now he Don'T hafta carve a new one every day ;D ;D

Nearly done with the Widow woman's logs. Got to go back to swamp loggin real soon ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Minnesota_boy

I jumped into a decent looking river once, but I didn't see no logs.  I did come out with a Nikon camera once though.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sherwood

For more than one hundred years this log has been laying in
the Black River here in Wisconsin. One of about a dozen my
Wife and I found late last summer. This one had a hard to read mark end of D. J. Spaulding.  The water was a good two and a half feet low because of the very dry summer.  
This log was about a quarter mile from the road.  I think it would be too much red tape to get this log out.  

Pain in life is mandatory. Suffering is optional.

Fla._Deadheader

Yep, that's what we are  talking about. Checking into the salvage laws might get you some worthwhile logs. I would pursue it. Don'T cost nothing to do the paper chase. Use the "Save the Forest" approach. Tell them how a log salvaged is a tree uncut ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

sherwood

My Mom, Dad and Great Uncle beat me to the good stuff
55 years ago. I guess I was along too, but at age of 10
months I don't remember much.
They camped and worked down along the river for a good part of one summer finding and removing deadheads that were lost during the logging drives of the 1800's.  
The first picture is of logs they had just dug of the sand ready to be winched out of the river.  They used a long pole to poke into the sand to find logs that were completely buried.  

The second photo is the crew loading deadheads onto the truck.

In camp down by the river.

Pain in life is mandatory. Suffering is optional.

Fla._Deadheader

Nice pics, Sherwood. You mentioned long poles to push into the sand. We have tried that in the river, but, the sand is well packed. Guess we gotta figger a way to penetrate that sand.  Thanks for posting those pics. ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

redpowerd

didnt know aboot the underwater loggin from the st. law.
never seen it or heard of it. mus be up by massena where the grasse and raquette and st.regis come together. all them rivers flow from the adirondacks.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Furby

Yeah Deadheader, I know all about THOSE logs.   :'(
When I first heard about what was going on over in WI from a friend I knew I had to find out more.  ;D
I LOVE that wood, I just wish the state gooberment wasn't involved.  :-/
I've come up with a few ways to get some but the fines just really aren't worth it. I was talking to a fellow who was a rescue diver in the area, he was telling me all about the logs in some of the lakes around here. He said that where ever a river entered a lake, it was like a log jam on the bottom. Some logs were just trees that came down river, but others.........  ;D

redpowerd

wheres the poster from the big river?
id like to know aboot this stuff
mus be im sick of workin in the woooooods
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Fla._Deadheader

Which big river, Red???

I would venture a guess that there is probably ¼ as much timber in the water, as there is on land. There was a HUGE Heart Pine Forest in the Southeast, and it only took 30 years to cut it all. Estimates are, 10-15% of all logs floated to the mills, went down, and are still there. Y'all otter talk to yer State Reps and see why them logs can't be recovered. Sure would cut down on what's BEIN cut down ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

redpowerd

why, the st. lawrence, of course!
over half of the watershed off the adirondack moutians mixes with the st. law.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Thank You Sponsors!