iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

72 YEAR OLD COUPLE BUILD A MONITOR BARN

Started by MONITORMAN, March 04, 2012, 07:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MONITORMAN

I have been lurking on the forum as a guest for some time and thought that I would like to share with you what my wife and I have been building.
It has been a long project the way we are doing it. No help once we got the location leveled and the cement poured. All the rest we have done ourselves.
I wish I could say that we used the classic way of doing our joints and the framing, we didn't. However we did find ways of doing what we needed and what we were capable of handling by my self. I will post a couple of pictures here if I can figure out how this forum allows me to do it. If there is any interest in our little project, I will type more and post more pics. I feel that I may not deserve to show my techniques here as they are definitely not old school, but here it is anyway.

FRONT VIEW

NORTH SIDE

LIN and DAVE

Chuck White

Hello Dave, and welcome to the Forestry Forum.

You will have to put your photos in your Forestry Forum gallery, then you can put them in the posts you make.

WARNING: If you delete any pics from your gallery they will also be deleted out of any posts you have them in.

This is a great place to learn and to help others, it's like one big family here.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Silver_Eagle

Awesome!! Thank you for sharing, please post any and all picture's. We like pictures  8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Lin and Dave......WOW!!!!!  8) 8) 8)

What a piece of art! You both are very talented. I LOVE your work.

WELCOME TO THE FORESTRY FORUM! I'm sure we are waiting to learn something from you. smiley_thumbsup

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecol

that is nice my wife 2 b wants one like that u want 2 build another one ?

Magicman

Very nice work and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, MONITORMAN.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

I like that style of building, I am planning on putting one up similar to that on the next move to be.

On a side note, we are not texting one another on here, can we use all the letters to form words. It is hard enough at times to understand what is writen let alone trying to read numbers as words and letters alone. Sorry but not all here are as litterate as others and not all are fluent in English. Thanks  rant is over.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

kderby

Monitor Barn, Is that like the USS Monitor?  Are these a Southern barn?  Nice structure, thanks for sharing. 

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Monitor Man and Wife  ;D.

I agree with the texting lingo concern.  Perhaps someday we can have texting night instead of Yooper Night.  That will keep us on our toes.  Until then......please spare me the texting.

Kderby

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. I like what you are building. Have you sawed the lumber? Its nice to see what others are building. Keep the photos comming and good luck with your build. bg

MONITORMAN

Quote from: kderby on March 04, 2012, 11:13:08 PM
Monitor Barn, Is that like the USS Monitor?  Are these a Southern barn?  Nice structure, thanks for sharing. 

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Monitor Man and Wife  ;D.
Kderby

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on March 04, 2012, 11:21:44 PM
Welcome aboard. I like what you are building. Have you sawed the lumber? Its nice to see what others are building. Keep the photos comming and good luck with your build. bg

Thanks everyone.
Yes, as far as I know, most of the Monitor Barns are in the horse part of this country. Kentucky, Virginia's, Carolina's etc. Not that they have to be, it just seems that way.
No, I am not fortunate enough to have the wood or the means to cut our own lumber.
The posts that we used are Douglas Fir and came from the northwest via Texas. Most of the 2xs are SYP from local yards. The cedar that is being used on the walls in a two layer application are cut at a local saw mill right here in central Arkansas. It is local grown aromatic cedar. My wife, Lin, clear coats the sticks for the inside, and stains the ones for the outside. We cut our own battens.
I suppose I need to add here that this will be fully inclosed when it is finished. I say that because of our building it our selves, I had to build this from the top down. And some may not understand that. We know that there are people that drive by, that  think that it is a large car port, among other things.
Anyway a couple of more pictures. The one of the top rear, which is done, shows an octagon vent, this is just for looks. the venting will all be done thru the special vent in the ridge.

This picture is of the front inside

Enjoy
LIN and DAVE

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Mr & Mrs Monitor  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) I love your workmanship on the barn thanks for sharing   :) :) ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

scsmith42

Dave and Lin, welcome to the Forestry Forum and thanks for sharing your project!

I too really like your style of barn, and am impressed at your spirit and attitude!  Best of success to you on your project; we look forward to seeing more photo's of your progress!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dukndog

Lin and Dave, Welcome to the FF!!
I'm located in Avilla area north of Benton. Would love to stop by and see your barn sometime!!

Again Welcome!!

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Buck

Very nice! Welcome to the forum. Ya'll do very nice work.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Chuck White

Very nice building you have there.

It almost looks like you could put in a ceiling/floor and live in the upper level!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Riggs

Monitorman, that is some nice work thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Clam77

Very nice Monitorman!!  What is going to be the end-use of the barn??  As chuck said you could live in it... or is it just going to be for livestock... or maybe an extremely nice shop??

Welcome to the forum!
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

MONITORMAN

Quote from: Clam77 on March 05, 2012, 08:19:14 PM
Very nice Monitorman!!  What is going to be the end-use of the barn??  As chuck said you could live in it... or is it just going to be for livestock... or maybe an extremely nice shop??

Welcome to the forum!

We moved here almost 5 years ago, Lin loves the house, but it is small. It has two sheds, also small, but no other garage or shop. The primary use for the barn will be for storage and our vehicles. Lin will get two bays for seasonal stuff etc., closed in with cedar. The motorcycle will get a bay. The center will be for two drivers. The other bays for tools and work space. No windows down stairs so the wall space will all be usable. We plan to floor at least the rear half of the loft, but that is a ways away. Definately no livestock tho.
LIN and DAVE

moosehunter

Welcome to the FF!
That is an awesome building
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

DeepWoods

Monitorman, what a great project you and your wife have going there!  I checked out your website, and I must say you have documented your work exceptionally well.  I can see why it has taken as long as it has to get this far.  I only wish I had the patience to do something as grand as you have.   smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

ibseeker

Welcome to the Forum, glad to have you around. It's always good when someone post pictures of their project. That barn is coming along nicely, I like that style. The construction style might not be the old school way of doing it but it still looks really solid. Hope to see more!
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

r.man

Welcome to the forum Monitorman, I am completely ignorant on Monitor barns, could you enlighten me on their use, history etc.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

MONITORMAN

Quote from: r.man on March 09, 2012, 08:18:13 AM
Welcome to the forum Monitorman, I am completely ignorant on Monitor barns, could you enlighten me on their use, history etc.

Well, I am not an historian on Monitor Barns, or anything else for that matter. I will, however, try to answer your inquiry, as best I can.
   Monitor barns are normally used for live stock. From what I have read, they work best with horses. However, the real large ones that were built in Vermont and New England, were for dairy cows. If you google Monitor barns, the most famous one that turns up is the West Monitor in Richman VT. It was built in early 1900s and was a major restoration project.
   The outer wings of the barn lend themselves naturally to being a set of stalls. The size of which, I am led to believe, works very well for horses. The center of the barn can be any width that the designer should wish. Usually for live stock use, the center aisle will have doors that will open on both ends of the barn. This would allow the large tractors and hay trailers etc. to drive right thru. The upper floor, if built, could store hay, and easily be fed down into the stalls, thru the knee wall openings.
   The ones that I have seen in the northeast seem to have a smaller, not as wide, center roof than the ones in the south. This may be because when the snow slides off of the top roof it lands on the lower roofs, but that is just my theory. The windows in the top section I believe were always for adding natural light and venting. They also may be the reason for the name, but I have nothing that I can tell you, that backs that up. The thought by some is that you could stand up in the loft and ''monitor'' the live stock out in the fields. This may or may not be true, but it makes a good story.
   In our case, it just goes very well with the house, and will provide the space and storage that we are looking for.
   Thanks for asking and looking.
LIN and DAVE

Clam77

That sounds like alot of the older, bigger barns that we have here in Iowa.  My grandparents had one that even had bottom-chuted bins for oats and other grains to be stored in a section of the double door haymow - which also had the huge gantry rail with the rope that's big enought to drag a bulldozer around and a cupalo (sp?) on top.

They make wonderful old barns if they're kept up - I think theirs was built in the mid to late 1800's with the farmhouse.  I should go back and get pictures of it - an Amish family bought the farm and uses it now..

My grandparents barn didnt have the windows up top, but the few that I've seen that DO have them have the sliding wooden slats to pull across them to protect them for when hay is loaded in.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Lookin4lunkers

Beautiful barn, I would put a sign on it that said "dog house" so I could spend all my time there
Life is about the journey, not the destination

Thank You Sponsors!