iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outhouses....yes, Outhouses!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 04, 2012, 05:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

http://www.jldr.com/ohindex_realohs.shtml

You can click on the link above and see some pretty cool outhouses from across America.

I have had guys looking for a job come by my mill. Generally I have done all my milling, stacking, stickering, etc. all by myself.
I have decided if I can find a trustworthy woodworker who would like to make money, I would hire him to build Outhouses. I live on a busy highway and have had calls for them.

All I'll do is mill the Outhouse lumber package, let my carpenter build it, I move it with the backhoe to the highway and sell them. We split the money!

People love Outhouses around here for storing their shovels, rakes, hoes, etc. in.

If any of ya'll have a UNIQIE Outhouse....not your bathroom  :D......post a pic. Thanks!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Left Coast Chris

That link has alot of nice "treasures".   Glad to hear they like your work and it dosent stink... ::) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Had a member, FURBY send me links to Outhouse material from the F.F. search site.

Thanks Jason! Just what I was looking for.  :)

This kind of help is what the FF is all about.

Shotgun

Thanks, Furby.  We (some of us) know you're lurking there. Hope you're doing fine.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

pineywoods

I built this one for LeroyC. It's fully functional complete with sears roebuck catalog,rusty tin roof and quarter moon cutout in the door.... ;D

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fuzzybear

This is ours at camp. Funny I can't find any better pictures :-\
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

lynches lumber

Poston, Im glad you posted this. Ive been wanting to put some small building out at the mill to keep some tools in. I think this will work great. And I can take care of the paper work there too.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: lynches lumber on March 04, 2012, 09:03:32 PM
. And I can take care of the paper work there too.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

kderby

I had an out house built last fall for personal use at the saw mill.  I am also thinking they are a good place to put low grade lumber and odd sizes.  That would make that lumber marketable.  People don't get too fussy about out houses.  Sure there are fancy ones, when you need one...Any Port In A Storm! ;D

CHARLIE

I think a two story outhouse would be neat.  ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Misfit

I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Clam77

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

POSTON WIDEHEAD

bugdust

Had a fella come by couple years back and wanted me to build a 4'X6" "two-seater" for his campground along the New River. I called him when I finished and he came by and ordered four more. Great, no problem ... good money. Now I have five "two-seaters" ready to pick up. NOT. He said he would like to pay me to deliver and set them. Just in case you're wondering what a 4'X6' "two-seater" weighs ...... A LOT. Still trying to figure where I went wrong on this deal.    :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Mooseherder

Here's one from the atv trip. :)

redbeard

Some things I have learned building and selling shed packages, first is your going to have alot of what I call fall off 2'-4' lengths  try to incorporate these in the project or apply them to another idea project that you can make and sell. Kit sheds are a good way to go because you can take them through a 3' gate in smaller managable sections and construct them quickly. Always use washers on any screw or fastener that you need to remove to take your kit apart, the wood tends to swell up around the screw head. Best money is let your pile of lumber create your project, custom orders can waste alot of lumber you have on hand you will find yourself cutting all your longer stuff to get what you need to finish the job. Unless your inventory is set up like a lumber yard. Just passing on a few obsticles I ran into. The out houses are great idea I want to build one now.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bugdust on March 05, 2012, 10:22:00 PM
Had a fella come by couple years back and wanted me to build a 4'X6" "two-seater" for his campground along the New River. I called him when I finished and he came by and ordered four more. Great, no problem ... good money. Now I have five "two-seaters" ready to pick up. NOT. He said he would like to pay me to deliver and set them. Just in case you're wondering what a 4'X6' "two-seater" weighs ...... A LOT. Still trying to figure where I went wrong on this deal.    :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Was there 2 people using the 2 seater at the time you were trying to move it?  :D :D :D

jdtuttle

If your building a functional outhouse don't forget to vent it. You could end up with an explosive situation :D :D :D
Have a great day

bugdust

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 06, 2012, 08:48:03 AM
Quote from: bugdust on March 05, 2012, 10:22:00 PM

Was there 2 people using the 2 seater at the time you were trying to move it?  :D :D :D

Now that you mentioned it, I did hear some strange noises.    :o
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

den

I got this book for Christmas and loved it.
Vanishing American Outhouse by Ronald S. Barlow
Amazon has a good many books on outhouses
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Don_Papenburg

Mine has a single apature with armrests to make reading the papers and catalogs easy . also keeps the cold breezes at bay in the winter.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sawthemlogs

heres a pic of the one i just comple

ted
i made the bench removable in case someone wants just storage shed
R.D.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I LOVE IT!

And it has a night light coming out the top with a power line coming to it.  :D

WDH

I love the seat.  I have sat on seats like that  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawthemlogs

this is how my projects start ..in this case it was the seat with the middle rusted away...i look at things and wonder what i can make of it...a lot of work just to utilize rusted out pan seat :D
R.D.

WDH

You have to start somewhere  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

How much xtra $ for the electricals and lytes?  :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Hilltop366

Came across this one on a canoe trip a few years ago, it's kind of ruff, no one bothered to use it.

purple otter

Just came back from camp and finally got some pictures of the outhouse I built last summer.It had to be nice enough for my wife and daughter to use or else they wouldn't come to camp with me. l know you guys like pictures ...so here are a few.

plate glass skylite lets the daylight in
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

Ironwood

This is from a demo guy I know, he sold it to me for $20,....we keep our garden tools in it. I put hte sign and painted "out of order" in red.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Out of order?  :D :D :D That's funny....just dig a new hole and scoot it over.  :D :D :D :D

Nice house Ironwood!

thecfarm

sawthemlogs,how did you do the curved roof? I need one down by the garden. We have a shed across the driveway just for the garden stuff,but would like a small building at the edge of the garden.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shelbycharger400

thecfarm...
use 1/4 inch thick plywood    or use strips of wood

ever wonder how they did quansit hut barns?   thin plywood and roll roofin!

Ironwood

Shelby,

Also, one of the other tricks is not to stress the perlins too much by going "with" the curve of the roof but 45 degrees to it. That cuts the bending down SIGNIFICANTLY.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Phorester

Okay..., a question.

Why the traditional half-moon cutout on an outhouse door?  Anybody know?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Phorester on June 06, 2012, 12:49:38 PM

Okay..., a question.

Why the traditional half-moon cutout on an outhouse door?  Anybody know?
Outhouse Crescent Moons

Probably the most recognizable symbol associated symbol with the traditional outhouse building is the familiar crescent moon carved into the privy door. Actually, the symbol is an ancient one, and was a sign for womanhood in colonial days and on the frontier. It's male counterpart, Sol, was either a star or a sun burst design also on the door. Since most male outhouses fell into disrepair rather quickly they seldom survived; while the female ones were better maintained, and were eventually used by both sexes. Although you can find outhouses still standing with the crescent moon, the original meaning for gender identification was lost by the later nineteenth century in most areas of the country.

Tree Feller

I thought that crescent moon was there so wasps could get in and build a nest just under the edge of the seat.   8) 8) 8)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

Phorester

Well now, that's interesting. Wonder why they just didn't paint a "W" and an "M" on the doors..... ;D

Yep, I reckon if my outhouse fell down I'd be inclined to use the ladies too. After they cleaned out the wasps of course. 

Ironwood

I have been a "FAN" of outhouse architecture (NOT the odor) for many years. My Mom bought me this book for my B-day many years ago.

Ironwood

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Phorester on June 06, 2012, 09:43:10 PM
Well now, that's interesting. Wonder why they just didn't paint a "W" and an "M" on the doors..... ;D

People couldn't read. The W or M would mean nothing to them.... the understood a moon or a star.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Do I understand the Hillbilly on the roof waving Maggie's Drawers  ???   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 07, 2012, 02:21:41 PM
Do I understand the Hillbilly on the roof waving Maggie's Drawers  ???   :)

Is this where airing out your laundry came from?  :D

Al_Smith

Well moons on the door ,vents etc. are nice .The big question remains just were does one acquire a stack of Sears and Roebuck catalogs in this day and age ?

There's only so much you can do with a corn cob and with the advent of picker shellers even those are in short supply .Rougher than a cob or so they say . :D

Magicman

I wonder how you would Google up a wipe without a catalog  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 07, 2012, 09:22:21 PM
I wonder how you would Google up a wipe without a catalog  ???

say_what

Hummmmmmmmmm.........

Al_Smith

Well indeed Google is your friend but I don't think they can help in this situation .They may however have a suggestion in leau of a Sears catalog .Perhaps a stack of Lowes ads that come in the Sunday news paper .

Oh Lawdy the longer it goes the worse it gets . :D

Misfit

Since I can't offer anything in the way of intelligent milling advice, the least I can do to help repay some of the knowledge I've picked up on the FF is to offer up an extract of this article I googled:  ;D

"Thank your lucky stars you live in the twentieth century, bucko. Let me tell you about ... corncobs. You may not believe this, but it was once common practice in rural America to leave a corncob hanging from a string in the outhouse for purposes of personal hygiene. The string, I gather, was to permit the cob to be reused. For those who were punctilious in these matters, or else blessed with an abundance of corncobs, a box of disposable cobs might be provided instead. In coastal regions, the cob might be replaced by a mussel shell." (Ouch!  :o )

"For those who had access to it, paper from discarded books or newspapers was often preferred to either of the foregoing. The meteoric growth of the Sears Roebuck company, for instance, is thought to be partly attributable to the protean nature of its catalogs, which, historians tells us, might serve a family of regular habits for an entire season. As with the cob, the catalog would be hung in the outhouse on a string and pages torn off as needed. It's said the use of coated stock, which was nonabsorbent, was a source of great consternation to farm families when Sears began printing color pictures in the catalog earlier in this century." (Slippery!  smiley_heh_heh )

"English lords, in attempting to teach their sons to be cultivated gentlemen, often advised purchasing an inexpensive volume of verse for use in the loo. The idea, of course, was that while you were sitting there in a contemplative state you'd be able to read a few stanzas, following which the paper could be put to other ends, so to speak." (The words moved them!  smiley_book2_page )
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Thank You Sponsors!