iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If we didn't have enough to worry about

Started by Texas Ranger, March 03, 2012, 09:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

trapper

Combine that with al gores global warming ant things should average out just fine. ;D
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Brucer

I'd worry more about rising temperatures. It takes about 10,000 years for an ice-age to kick in :P.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Warbird

I'm going to graph out all these false "global climate" scares we've had since back in the 1970's.  It will probably look like some of the graphs those guys show.

SPIKER

here is a video found in a link in previous post about how earth spins around the Milky Way and how we oscillate UP/DOWN as we go around.   I've known about this fact for a long time but few people know or care to know how we go around.   I'm a firm believer that the regular extinctions on earth are related to how we go around the milky way wither we are pulled through some left over asteroid belt or the oscillations brings us through one.   I hadn't thought about the Pole Shift also maybe related to them.   the pole shifts are recorded in sea bed sediments at very regular intervals of which we are also due for one of those.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

Cedarman

Never worry about something you cannot prevent.  Just plan for what eventuallities you are concerned about.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cedarman on March 04, 2012, 08:58:50 PM
Never worry about something you cannot prevent.  Just plan for what eventuallities you are concerned about.

Good point!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Den Socling

There are changes which must be made. There is no planning that can save you butts. Study the subject instead of shooting from the hip.

beenthere

What does Den propose to do to affect the change?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

We have got to cut carbon emissions. Green house gases are raising the temperature of the atmosphere. Weather changes are going to become severe. Or should I say more severe. And rising ocean levels are going to cause catastrophic results. Have you ever been to NYC? Not much room for rising ocean levels. I don't want to see 8 million people heading to Pennsylvania. And where is the water from the poles and glaciers going? And farmlands could become deserts. Have you been to Texas lately?

I worry about what we could see in our lifetime. I worry much more about what my grandsons could face. Global warming is not to be taken lightly.

Warbird

According to the movie "Day After Tomorrow", all that "water from the poles and glaciers" is going into the ocean and will eventually mess with the North Atlantic Current.  In turn, this will magically cause massive holes in the atmosphere, allowing the near absolute zero temperatures of space to instantly freeze large swaths of the Earth.

But wait.  The lessened activity from the sun means cooler temps.  So it will all balance out.  See, if the sun isn't pumping as much heat into the Earth, then the caps will freeze again and the North Atlantic Current will stay safe.  That is, until the super volcanoes all simultaneously explode.  Then we're all doomed because all that ash in the atmosphere will tip the scales toward global cooling again, and the oceans will freeze.

Quote from: Den Socling on March 04, 2012, 10:17:13 PM
Study the subject instead of shooting from the hip.

Why do you think I've not studied the subject?  You might be surprised.  ;) 

Cedarman

From the perspective of my geology degree. The changes in the past are monstrous compared to what is happening today.
Just 10,000 years ago the mediteranean sea was empty when the ice age was at its peak lowering ocean levels 300 feet or more.  When it started warming it did it in a hurry.  Major falls at Gibralter for quite a few years.  Sea levels rise and fall.  The earth's orbit shifts. The poles precess, meaning they wobble.  Niagara Falls cuts back several feet a year. Huge in terms of geologic time.  Climate does change.  Doesn't really matter whether human caused or not.  In the past, humans adapted or disappeared from an area. There are no Anastazi in Canyonlands for 5 or 600 years.  Something drove them out.
I am much more concerned about the unnatural chemicals and hormones we are dumping onto the earth than CO2. 
Humans do not like change. (Are you happy when wife rearranges the furniture or hubby decides to raise chickens).
Adapt or face the consequences.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Warbird

Quote from: Cedarman on March 05, 2012, 07:18:57 AM
I am much more concerned about the unnatural chemicals and hormones we are dumping onto the earth than CO2. 

Me too, cedarman.  When I managed a research lab earlier in my career, I was responsible for running and maintaining a widely used (by researchers across the globe) carbon and nitrogen cycle model and the large computers it ran on.  Learned a lot about carbon uptake, carbon sinks, climate changes, etc.  Without making a lot of inferences and buying into fear mongering, it was plain to me that we could be focusing our collective energies on more worthwhile subjects.

ps.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't be paying attention to our climate.  Obviously, we want to learn more and be prepared for harsh winters, hot summers, etc.  ;)

Den Socling

Yes climate change is inevitable. Let's hope it is gradual enough for adaptation. And I hope we don't poison the earth worse than it is. The problem is too DanG many people. I sure wouldn't want to be living in India or China.

Warbird

Den Socling

I'm in Phoenix. Both climate and population is on my mind. It's 83 degrees already today. Every time I come here it is more crowded.

Warbird

I hear you.  That's why I live in Alaska.  :) 

SwampDonkey

I like it right here to, nothing changes much. Same roughly 800,000 population that's been reported for the last several decades. ;D Neighbors are all quiet, no big cities, lots of fresh air and open country. Cold winters to keep the weeklings away. :D :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Den Socling

Where I live in Pennsylvania has been pretty good too. Except the druggies from Philadelphia coming to Williamsport. And we had no winter this year. Only a few days that would normally be called cool. And about three days with snow. It's just unsettling.

SwampDonkey

Lots of winter here, and I've seen a lot milder 30 years ago when the locusts leaved out in February. Goes in cycles, it's been pretty wet summers for 3 or 4 years and now we are due for a drier one. But dry up here is at most, 2 weeks without rain. We're still the sunniest spot in Canada. ;D Today they said an asteroid up in the heavens someplace has 1 in 600 chance in hitting us in 2040 or so. ;D Climate data for frost hardiness shows this region hasn't changed a bit since 67, the last time the hardiness maps were updated. Water, the woods is full of water up here unless your up on a dry stoney ridge.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Nobody will agree on global warning .Al Gore genious he is blames it on grazing animals .Some blame flourocarbons like freon .Carbon consumption ,fossil fuels ,a zillion other things .

Few want to realize vocanic activity in the Pacific rim adds much to the mystery .Omitting that fact has made a lot of people zillionaires though .

They've done ice corings from both poles and some in the know claim it's cyclic but the other half say it's man made .

Who do you believe ?

SwampDonkey

Maybe if it dries up some it will kill off some pesky beavers that like to flood the remaining woods every time a spot is harvested.  I bet over the years there have been 30 beaver ponds built per mile on the main brook near here. ::)

Al_Smith

Well that brings up another subject ,beavers .They thought it was a grand plan to reitroduce them in areas only to find out what a pain in the buttocks they are .

Some wizard put them in the southern tip of South America and now they have a gigantic problem with them .

Parts of Ohio has some problems also .

Although the insurance companies deny it ,it was rumored the influx of coyotes in the eastern states as well as southern Ont was brought about because of the deer population .Supposidley the insurance companys imported them .Of course the insurance companys being lilly white deny it .As well they would being the largest lobbiests in government .

It was suggested the reintroduction of 'yotes would keep the deer in check which cost the insurance companys billions .Didn't work .

Now true or not in addition to global warming which they have no real idea why it happens when man kind tries to upset the balance of nature it doesn't go so well .

The deer are here in numbers and so are the damned 'yotes that nobody has the answer how to get rid of .

The very idea that a 35 pound Coyote or a pack of them could take down a 250 pound white tail dear is nonsense .A fawn yes ,an adult no .They prefer cats instead I'm told .

Thank You Sponsors!