iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Being visible

Started by cypresskayaksllc, March 02, 2012, 03:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypresskayaksllc

I had a job this week cutting up some dead pine. Beetles got them. These were old and hard to cut. Had a heavy set and I still couldnt cut a straight 12" wide cut without going real slow. I was thinking it was going to be one of those less productive jobs. But at the end of the job I got two visitors. Both gentlemen stopped to watch me cut. They liked the product and was amazed by the mill. (If only they could see the mill cut some fresh pines.) 8)  I gave them my card and they said theyd give me a call to cut some logs up for them. At that time the job turned into a more productive job.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Magicman

I just pointed that out on another thread this morning.  If you do not want to saw, you had better hide.  My next week's saw job is beside one of the busiest streets in town.  The sawmill is already set up and ready for Monday morning.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sdunston

MM I think thats why WM chose orange instead of camo :D :D had to say it.

Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Chuck White

I've landed a bunch of "unscheduled" sawjobs just by being in sight of a road, any road!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

backwoods sawyer

Nothing makes you jump more then turning around to find half a dozen people standing right behind you :o Brake time 8)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on March 04, 2012, 12:25:43 AM
Nothing makes you jump more then turning around to find half a dozen people standing right behind you :o Brake time 8)

Been there too BW!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Thankfully where I am now set up, I can see the road.  I do not like surprises either.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Taylortractornut

My friend that owns the WM has his mill shed next to the road and hes always busy.   
My overload permit starts after sunset

Chuck White

To eliminate surprises, I've been going to put a mirror on my mill near the scale to eliminate people "sneaking" up behind me, but haven't got it done yet! ;)

Magicman

:D   And then you can use it while combing your hair and .......

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Chuck White on March 04, 2012, 11:14:20 AM
To eliminate surprises, I've been going to put a mirror on my mill near the scale to eliminate people "sneaking" up behind me, but haven't got it done yet! ;)

You might be joking, but I'm not. I have thought about the same thing. Makes me DanG mad when they do that. Plus there is a road behind me where my logging trucks come in and I will be able to see them. I will probably use a piece of stainless steel shined up for my mirror. So this is a GREAT idea Chuck!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

backwoods sawyer

We used quite a few mirrors and cameras in the big mill. Mirrors are cheap and affective. A 2'x 3' mirror will give you a good field of view. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

cypresskayaksllc

One of the guys that sneaked up on me said he was building a house and might have me cut some wood for it. I told him I didnt know the codes and whether or not hed have to have it graded. He said he didnt think it would be a problem cause he knew the county commissioner. Turns out he is the county commissioner.  ;D
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on March 04, 2012, 08:42:58 PM
Turns out he is the county commissioner.  ;D

We call them Politicians. That's why they sneak up behind you!  smiley_devil

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

okmulch

Luckily most of the places we grind at are out in the middle of know where, because when we are close to major roads we get a lot of visitors wanting to see us grinding trees. It does not help there is usually a large dust cloud going up in the air and we are easily found.
When I am running trees and focused on what I am doing it is hard to watch for people sneaking up on me. Most people seem to not realize the danger of machines and limited visibility we have while operating them.
I do not get much business from people stopping, they usually have never seen a machine like what we have before and are just curious. We politely tell them they are on private property and ask them to leave.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Thank You Sponsors!