iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many bands have you broke?

Started by hackberry jake, March 02, 2012, 03:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I just broke my third band today. I'm sure some of you have lost count.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave VH

I broke the first band that was in my saw when i brought it home.  In the first 4 inches of log.  Had about a 6 inch piece fly better that 40ft away.
  so far that was the only one that i've broken (knock on wood)
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Dewey

Bibbyman

Probably a couple hundred .... a year.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

hackberry jake

Man bibby, that's a lot of sawing!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

medic

#1.  First cut into a log, hit a thin piece of metal at just the right angle and sheared the band in two.
#2.  Tried to back out of a cut once.
#3.   Had a brand new blade break as soon as the teeth touched the edge of the log.  [However, seeing how high my 16 y/o could jump when part of the blade snaked off the mill made this one worth while  :) ]
scott
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

cypresskayaksllc

2. Both broke after I wore a flat spot on my guide wheel. A piece of debris got wedged between the wheel and a bar thats by the wheel.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

hershey

bandmiller2

When I was running the Mizer LT-70 we broke alot that was the mode of failure.My homebuilt bandmill I've never broke even one, they get sharpened many times and get to 1 1/4 from 1 1/2 and loose the tooth hardness,and start to wonder.Probibly less tension leads to their long life. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

tcsmpsi

Probably 20 or so.  Multitude of reasons.  Haven't broken any of the newest blades I've started using, and have pushed some of the long and hard, where I figured they would break just any moment.  Never had a piece of blade leave the covers, though.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Magicman

hershey stole my answer.   ;D   Every band will break because of the rearward stress and traveling around the bandwheels.  I had one to break in two places last week.  After I got it out I noticed another crack.  I just smiled because I know that I had gotten every bit of the "goody" out of it.

In all, I had 3 to break on last week's job, but to be fair about it, they were from a box of blades that had been pushed back and were not in my normal rotation.  They were from my original batch of 60 blades that I bought over 10 years ago.   :)

Virtually every box of 10 that I send back to ReSharp includes at least one broken band.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sawmill Man

25 years of custom sawing adds up to a lot broken bands. A customer was looking at a pile of broken bands one day and said he would change brands if he were me. I explained that he was looking at every brand that there was and that they all eventually break from metal fatigue unless they damaged by metal in their logs.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

T Welsh

After 5 or 6 sharpenings they all will let go at some point. thats what I buy them for to get the maximum out of them,had one that lasted 9 resharenings a couple of weeks ago,thought to myself,this is on tough blade,then it let go about 5 cuts later.after you run enough,you will see a pattern develop and can almost know when its going to break. by the way I only use Woodmizer blades. Tim

cutterboy

Quote from: medic on March 02, 2012, 03:40:17 PM
  [However, seeing how high my 16 y/o could jump when part of the blade snaked off the mill made this one worth while  :) ]
scott

:D :D :D :D :D :D  I jumped pretty high the first time a blade broke on my mill. :D :D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Al_Smith

I really have no idea if it's true or not so I'll just throw it out here .They claim a rubber tired bandmill as most homebuilts are is less apt to break  blades .True fact or old wives tale ,have no idea  ???

pineywoods

Enough to make it worthwhile to haul them to the scrap yard  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 02, 2012, 07:15:25 PM
I really have no idea if it's true or not so I'll just throw it out here .They claim a rubber tired bandmill as most homebuilts are is less apt to break  blades .True fact or old wives tale ,have no idea  ???

Old wives tale.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 02, 2012, 08:28:39 PM

Old wives tail.  :D :D :D
Tale.   this is the Forestry Forum.  >:(          :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

Al,theirs some truth to it as rubber tired bandmills run larger diameter bandwheels,and homemade mills usally don't tighten the bands as much. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 02, 2012, 08:41:40 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 02, 2012, 08:28:39 PM

Old wives tail.  :D :D :D
Tale.   this is the Forestry Forum.  >:(          :D

Sorry, didn't mean to do that. I never cud spell. I changed it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bandmill Bandit

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

There is an article in this month's Sawmill & Woodlot about blades.  Just click on the "Download PDF" below the article "Why Blade Saw Blades Break".  https://www.sawmillmag.com/app/home/index

I found it while doing a cruise through the Sponsor's Websites.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

never finished

Quite a few. But I'll never forget the first one. It sent me and my two sons running. It even took me a while to build up the nerve to go shut off the mill. No one told me that might happen. Yep that was before I found this place. 

kelLOGg

I went through a rash of breakage 3 - 9 months ago. I think it was due to too much down pressure on the moveable guide (11/16") . Since I reset it back to 5/16" I have not broken one. I haven't counted the ones I have broken.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

Since I started sawing I would have to say I have had 5 boxes of 15 blades each to break, totaling 75 blades.

I have to admit though, there were times I would hear the ssstt, ssstt, ssstt, and I'd stop the blade and find a crack and pull the blade, so that one wasn't really a break.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!