iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

St. Patty's Day Fixin's??

Started by Clam77, March 01, 2012, 08:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clam77

Anyone making plans for a St Patty's Day meal yet??  If the weather keeps up, should be some nice sun for a BBQ or 3..    ;)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Norm

You know me I'll use any excuse to BBQ!

Since Patty's maiden name is Glasgow you can bet we celebrate it.  :D

Raider Bill

The holy trinity, Corned beef, cabbage and potatoes!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

I love Corned Beef and look forward to having it on St. Patty's Day.
It is one of my favorite celebrations of the year.

Raider Bill

I pressure cook mine then when almost done throw in the cabbage and potatoes.

I got married on St Pats day once, now that was a PARTY! Neither one of us is Irish.

Patty

Do you make your own corned beef Bill? If so, please post the recipe.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

scgargoyle

I made my own corned beef once. I don't remember the recipe- I just looked it up on the 'net. Basically, you take a brisket and brine it with salted water and herbs for 7-10 days in the fridge. Then boil it up like you would store-bought corned beef. The sad part is that they want significantly MORE for brisket than they do for corned beef, esp. around St Patty's Day. The good part is that you can adjust the seasonings. I used less salt, but added a good dose of crushed red pepper.

I'm with Bill- Corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes. I'm not Irish either.

BTW- If you take a corned beef and smoke it, it's a pretty good approximation of pastrami.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Patty

And all these years I thought St Pat's day was about drinking green beer!  smiley_beertoast
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Burlkraft

Quote from: Patty on March 02, 2012, 04:34:01 PM
And all these years I thought St Pat's day was about drinking green beer!  smiley_beertoast

Gonna go a little dark in the kegerator for the Holiday?  :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Clam77

Quote from: Patty on March 02, 2012, 04:34:01 PM

I've tried that green beer thing several times.....  you'd thought I'd have learned after the FIRST time it was a bad idea...   :D
Andy

Mac 1-40, 3-25

sandhills

Me too Patty, Until today I didn't even realize food was an option  :D.

WildDog

I'll have a Guiness or 2 for St Pats, We slow cook corned beef most Sundays for lunch meat through the week. I never get bored with it on home made bread rolls with hot mustard or pickles. I used to corn my own lamb shoulders with a pineapple based cornit.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

LeeB

There's a pretty good corned beef recipe here on the food board somewhere. Just do a search.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

Patty, I used to make my own corned beef but stopped a few years ago due to time and cost. Like Jon said you can buy it already corned cheaper. I also smoke a couple for pastrami. I did use the corned beef recipe posted here the last time I did it was DELISH
I do use Guinness in the pressure cooker but stay way away from the green beer unless it's Genny Cream then I get even further away.... Green Death.... steve_smiley

Patty

I just put a new keg of Heineken in the kegerator, so that is gonna have to be "close enough".  :)   It does get sold in green bottles I think.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Clam77

I have an aluminium Bud Light bottle from a few years back... nasty stuff.   smiley_dizzy
Andy

Mac 1-40, 3-25

Raider Bill

Quote from: Clam77 on March 05, 2012, 07:58:32 PM
I have an aluminium Bud Light bottle from a few years back... nasty stuff.   smiley_dizzy

They are selling AB products in Aluminum 16oz bottles here now especially at outdoor events. Supposed to keep it cold longer but I dunno about that.

CHARLIE

We'll have the children and grandchildren over for cornbeef, cabbage and taters.  It should be a good time. The local grocery store had corned beef for $1.99 a pound and I bought plenty for St. Patty's Day and some extra for later. I love corned beef. 8)   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Hilltop366

I'm Acadian but my sil seems to get excited about green day so we are going to see a Irish duo called Evans & Doherty and have some Irish stew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNR2ItSqXPs

cinnabar

Bought a bottle of Irish Creme a couple weeks ago.  Corned beef and cabbage here, maybe some Irish Soda bread to go along with it all.

Thank You Sponsors!