iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ripsaw any good for small stuff?

Started by 1woodguy, March 01, 2012, 04:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1woodguy

Man offered me a ripsaw, husky saw that hooks to it ,13 ft rail carriage  couple of alum beams you can hook over bigger logs ,log wizard barker, tenon set for furnature and railings,cant hooks . Hefinished his house and said he won't ever use it again and would take $1500 think it's worth it?
He said its a lot of work.

should I wait on something bigger?
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

beenthere

1woodguy
I'm having a hard time trying to decipher just what you might be interested in doing. Are you retired now and looking for a hobby?
Or just a hobby?

Bring us up to date what you have in mind. A lot of guys offering you things, and sounds like they just want to spend your money, or get you to spend it. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Sounds to me like an Alaskan mill with a ripping chain equipped saw. $1500 is kinda stiff for a used set up, the saw may have some hard hours on it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

1woodguy

I am retired medical need something to do   And extra cash
I used to do a lot of woodworking 10 or more years ago
Some of thr folks around here thought woodworking was something I could make a few bucks on
  The above post started when he was talking to me as I was looking at an online auction big scroll saw and he mentioned the ripsaw he had, him and a relative of mine  used it on his house
Also stated if I wanted to try it do so then said he had  tons of  cedars at his place Icould have and that they would be a lot more  than I would want to cut with the ripsaw 
lots more cedars on land nearby lots of people around here hate them
Thanks

mikeb1079

a ripsaw isn't an alaskan chainsaw mill, it's a small bandsaw mill powered by a chainsaw power head.  a friend of mine has one and he likes it just fine.  i believe maximum cut is around 14".  the ripsaw company is still in biz i believe so you can get an idea of current prices from them.  on another forum there was a fella who had kind of a neat system involving a chainsaw mill and a rip saw.  he'd drop the tree and square it up with an alaskan mini mill.  then he'd use the ripsaw with the thin kerf to mill up the cant (thus saving valuable lumber).  portability was essential to him so he sounded very satisfied with the ripsaw as it weighs around 60 lbs? anyways, if possible i'd ask to see it in action so you can make a better informed decision on whether you like it or not.
good luck   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

1woodguy

Seems to cut cedar ok not super fast
Oak is a lot slower maybe three ft per minute
I think it would be kind of slow if you wanted anything beside cedar
Thanks for replys

Magicman

Quote from: 1woodguy on March 01, 2012, 10:35:30 PM
I am retired medical.....

As old as you are, looks like you needed to retire.    :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

1woodguy

Your only as old as ya feel..........
:D
I told great grandson when he mentioned dinosaurs that I invented them!
Naturally

Magicman

I like your attitude and would love to meet you.  Were in Ok?  I have a Sister in Ponca City.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!