iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Excellent log building video (45 mins) - Norse Folk Museum

Started by ChrisGermany, March 01, 2012, 10:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisGermany

I was watching a board-hewing video that TW posted a link to, and I noticed another video on the list that caught my attention. Here is the description translated to English. (I used google translate, so pardon any errors) It shows many steps in the construction of a beautiful log-and-timber masterpiece.

"Film about the construction of the copy of the open-hearth house from Kjelleberg in Valle at the Norwegian Folk Museum. This film was produced from 1992 to 1994.

The house is a copy of the open-hearth house, "Gamlestøga", built to give an impression of how a new house may have looked 300 years ago. Construction work was carried out by older methods. There used only materials that were common when the prototype was built - pine logs, and moss in the walls. The stone for the foundation wall and bark and peat were taken from Setesdal. The tools used were ancient types: an ax, band knife and augers."

http://youtu.be/d4746vgMS-w
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Barebuttminer

Excellent log building video
Although I didn't get the English version and I couldn't understand a word of it I found this video as you say excellent. A very good demonstration on the use of old world tools and techniques.
Thank You Chris
BBM
Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deer 450C Dozer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Stihl 009

LOGDOG

Really enjoyed that video. Couldn't understand a word that was said but enjoyed the whole thing nonetheless. Would love to have english subtitles. It made me appreciate how much can be done with so little in the way of tools and equipment. There's a lot to be said for just getting out there and "doing it".

Papa

Thanks for posting that. I learned a few things, even though I didn't get the translation. How do you hear it translated? I esp. liked the fella walking in knee deep snow to fell one with an axe. I also liked the various ways they moved logs around. You can tell those fellas were a bit hardcore. I wondered as I watched the video if I could work white oak logs as easily as they seemed to work the wood they had. I'll be cutting my white oaks in the fall, kinda worried about how hard hewing might be. I have a lot to learn between now and then this video certainly gave me a few ideas. Thanks again for posting it.

ChrisGermany

I don't know that we can translate the audio. Just plugged the description of the video into google translate and hoped for the best.

There are definitely some techniques worth copying. My experience with oak has been a good one, Papa; it hews off clean and splits nicely. We aren't blessed with a great deal of white oak where I live, so I definitely envy you that. The one warning I'd give (which you probably already know) is to hew it green. It'll feel like you're banging on concrete otherwise.
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Thank You Sponsors!