iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The best size syp to saw

Started by jldoss1, February 29, 2012, 06:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

There's no guarantee either way.  Much depends on the full nature of it tree as it grew.  That is a log by log matter.  Sometimes it is difficult to tell until one begins cutting. As a board is being cut, its movement, or lack thereof,  will let me know if I need to modify a 'standard' cut. 

Sometimes, it is just plain difficult to second guess Mother Nature.   :)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Magicman

As tcsmpsi said, some logs are difficult to even get lumber out of, but yes Okra.  After you square your cant, take the beams from the outside which will leave the pith untouched.  Depending upon how stable the log is, you may be able to rotate 90°, or you may have to rotate 180° for your second beam.

You can then saw the center/pith into whatever.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tcsmpsi

One thing you can be pretty well guaranteed of is that, with a little conscious effort, at worse, you will have as good as lumber as is available as standard building lumber.     ;)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Lambee10

good info and great pictures MM.  thanks for explaining things clearly.

All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

opticsguy

OK, I give up . . . . . . what is SYP
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Magicman

Southern Yellow Pine and I'll also say the ERC is Eastern Red Cedar.   :) :)

They both go well with Grits.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on March 02, 2012, 05:19:40 PM

:D :D :D :D :D

SRO, NRO = Southern Red Oak, Northern Red Oak (sometimes found in the same place)  ARM = Ambrosia Red Maple
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

never finished

jldoss1 how far north are you? I have a whole house sawn and put in the barn to dry, waiting for my youngest son to get ready to build. I would be happy to show you all I've learn"t. ( That won't take just a few minutes). I'll even show you an all manual mill then you'll have no doubt about hyd. I might even share our thoughts on putting syp and erc on the inside with the help of a logosol ph260. This is an attempt to cover all your post that I missed.   

rbarshaw

Ok, let's not forget SSG, (Southern Sweet Gum), before I knew what I was doing, really not there yet, I split a 16' Sweet gum into 4 4x4s with the pith on one corner of each 4x4, it curled to where the ends were only 12' apart. Sweet gum is great for making modern art, it has no straight lines.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Magicman

WDH

rbarshaw,

It is almost fun to cut sweetgum that way just to see what it will do  :D.  Sweetgum is the silly putty of wood.  Occasionally you will get a flat piece  ;D.  That is like finding a $20 bill in the WalMart parking lot. 

Everybody who starts off sawing should have to start sawing and drying sweetgum.  That way, they will appreciate all the other species so much the more  :-\.

It is pretty, though.  Sometimes pretty can be bad.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: rbarshaw on March 03, 2012, 10:14:02 PM
Ok, let's not forget SSG, (Southern Sweet Gum), before I knew what I was doing, really not there yet, I split a 16' Sweet gum into 4 4x4s with the pith on one corner of each 4x4, it curled to where the ends were only 12' apart. Sweet gum is great for making modern art, it has no straight lines.

:D :D :D

Sounds like you could have used those for archways or something, I'll have to remember that for when I want curved beams!

Oh-- or you could have made a GIANT rocking horse!

Let's not forget, the definition of a weed is a plant whose uses we do not fully appreciate yet.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Meadows Miller

Gday

Hell Ill saw Any size log as long as it is good for what I am chasing out of it if your sawing framing or grade lumber there are two different ways to go about it with pine   ;) with framing i cente heart everything if it is going to go into framing ;) ill also add that the wane (timber with the outside of the Log/Bark :) allowance is  better where if your grade cutting flooring or lining I work to pull the best out of the clearer timber in the outside of the log as I generally leave the heart cut in a pallet cant or resaw it into two pieces of dunnage  ;) now Pallet and Landscape start sawing as soon as it hits the mill and get it off mill as quick as you can  ;)

overhere the crappy 4x4s boxed heart sold in the box stores are heart boxes from the Big mills when the framing market is down you see alot of them when its up you see mixed stuff from the smaller mills otherwise here thy are cut into pallet stringers n boards ;)

Another old trick is to put your worst knot or defect at 45 Degrees to the saw line this reduces the ammount a defect intrudes into a single piece also if you make wider boards out of that it will generally make structural grade  ;)

Regards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

jldoss1

Hey, Never Finished nice to hear from you, sounds like your son needs to get that house started. I'm around the batesville area, me and my older brother are still considering our options in different mills, not going to rush in to anything. Once we get further along in our decision we'll be wanting to check out some of the closer mills in person and we'll definately keep you in mind thanks alot for the offer.

never finished

jl just let me know about any time works for me. You'r right about the son , him and wife had a few issues. Looks like things are looking better, hope to start late summer. I was up your way yesterday, the oldest son lives at MT View. I'll be in Batesville in a couple weeks doing demolition work on the hospital. I was up there a few weeks ago. That's one of those never ending jobs.     

nas

Quote from: Magicman on March 02, 2012, 05:19:40 PM

So how do you eat them with grits?  As sawdust mixed in, or as chunks on the side? ??? :P ::) ;) :D
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Magicman

Meadows Miller

well we are always been told we need more fiber in our diets ;) :) :D :D :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Okrafarmer

Maple-bacon, anyone?

Some like to eat sawdust. It comes in different flavors, you know...

Thank You Sponsors!