iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Powered swingblade mill.

Started by acco1840, February 29, 2012, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acco1840

I am looking at building a swingblade powered by a stihl 090 chainsaw. Has anyone done this?? I have a mate who will sell me the 8 inch saw from a lucas mill and I have all the rest that I need. Any ideas or suggestions??

Ianab

Well I've not done it, but I have one of the original chainsaw powered Peterson mills that uses an 090 powerhead, so I guess that's the sort of thing you are planning?

Can be quite simple as powerhead can be rotated 90deg along with the blade. All you need to figure out is how much to gear down the engine to get the right blade speed. Then it's just the right pulley to replace the sprocket and away you go.

Mill isn't at home right now so I can't measure it for you sorry, but can check next week.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

acco1840

Yeah, thanks mate. that is what i'm looking at, just flip the saw and 090 over and do away with gearbox. I am planning on using a truck axle shaft as the driveshaft and flange to bolt the saw to, tha way it is one piece.

Thank You Sponsors!