iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My newest slabwood project.

Started by WV_hillbilly, February 15, 2004, 06:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

Here  is the newest project I complete out of sasafrass slabwood. It's hard to beleive that this piece was headed to the firewood pile until I rescued it  and converted it   :).
  I haven't put any finish on it yet.  I'm so happy with the way it's turning out I couldn't wait to show it to you people .  8)
Hillbilly

Kevin

ronwood

Nice work! How long did it take you to do a project like that?
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

WV_hillbilly

Thanks .   About 3 hours to  the stage it is at .
Hillbilly

EZ

Good job WV, Ihope you padded your self on the back for that great job. I wish I had time to get back into that kinda stuff, maybe some day.
EZ

WV_hillbilly

I hope this gives some of the sawyers an idea of another way they can market some wood that would otherwise end up as ashes .  

EZ
    I had that problem with the time thing. I started 1 hour at a time and went from there.  I now average about 7 to 15 hours a week behind that scroll saw .  8)   It's a great way to unwind after a good days work ( head aches )
Hillbilly

EZ

My problem is that when I go in the wood shop, I'm in their for hours. I've spent alot of 2 and 3 am in there and didnt even know it.
EZ

WV_hillbilly

I feel your pain EZ .  I have that problem too.   I just wish I could make the amount of money I make at my regular job in that shop.  It is time well spent.  I don't go out drinking and such so the way I look at it is that is bonus time for me . My 5 year old is getting intrested in woodworking so I take him with me too .
Hillbilly

EZ

ADfields

:o WOW  :o
I wish I had the talent to do cool things like that!
Andy

RavioliKid

That is really lovely!  :)

Will the wood change much over time or will it look pretty much the same if you don't put a finish on it?

RavioliKid

Fla._Deadheader

WV, this week is "Slabbing week". ;D ;D

I have played around with different thicknesses with the Red Cedar. I settled on 3/4" thick. Seems to give sufficient strength without checking, and we get a few extra pieces.

Should get some long pieces like you asked about ;D

You are very talented with that saw. I just got one for my daughter. She is tentative about trying complex patterns. Any advice you could offer to a beginner??? I tell her to start out simple and ease into the more detailed stuff.

Nice work. ;) ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Patty

Wow! That is really beautiful!  8)
Makes you look at wood in a whole new way doesn't it.
Good Job!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

That's a nice piece of work WV_hillbilly.

Sounds like the way I am around the shop. I get so focused on my project that nothing else matters.

Sometimes I get mad at myself because I'm always laying something out of place in the shop and end up searching and searching for it. Even something as insignificant as my marking pencil. (doesn't seem so insignificant at the time) hehehe

I end up measuring things several times and even then I end up cutting the piece short at times. I scratch my head and think how the heck did I get that wrong. hahahaha

:) :D ;D :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shopteacher

Hillbilly, you sure have a talent with that scrollsaw. I've never tried to do much with the scroll saw, but after seeing your work I might have to give it a try.  Went out to Medina on Sat. to pick up a dust collector, didn't think about it or would have given you a shout and seen if you were around.

SD: Cut it twice and it's still to short! :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Bill_B

Bill B

SwampDonkey

teach

Your a cheeky feller this marn'n ain't ya?  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shopteacher

Ya SD, when you get up on a Monday morning and not have to go to work you get that way sometimes. Today is Presidents Day.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Frank_Pender

Very nice WV.  I am guilty of the same as others, time and talent.  :'( You are correct in your approach, a little at a time. It is great your son likes to tkae part.  Really nurture that behavior and it will pay dividends later in both of your lives. 8)
Frank Pender

Wes

Plowboy

WV_hillbilly

Thanks everyone .  It has taken me almost 4 years to get to this level of cutting.  In that period of time I have made many pieces of designer firewood  ::) .

Rav    
       If no finish is added  it will turn to a little bit darker brown .

Deadheader  

The wait is worth the end product . Let me know when you get some pics. The best advice I have is to get some of the beginner books by Spielman or Nelson to get good techniques started . Time , patience and persistance  will take care of the rest. It took many pieces to get comfortable before trying some of the larger and more complex ones .

Shopteacher

I was around home then . If the weather ever gets warmer   you can get that mizer uncovered and  I 'll comeup and give you a hand . If you want ot try the scrollsaw I can bring  it with me too .
Hillbilly

rebocardo

> In that period of time I have made many pieces of
> designer firewood

It took a few minutes after reading the post before I got it :-D

WV_hillbilly

Rebocardo

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to comment about that.  :D  It 's a true statement. Sometimes I could save them and sometimes not . The most heart wrenching is when your about done with a piece and you Oop's and drop it on the floor. That has happened a few times .   :'(    This piece  suffered that fate but it actually helped me . On the right end in the middle where a dark streak is cracked when I dropped it . That end had a slight  cup in it when it dried. When it cracked it flattened out and has no cup now .  A little bit of some CA glue  ( like superglue) and it is Okay. It is harder to scrollsaw  a piece of wood with a cup cause it wants to rock back and forth while your cutting .

hillbilly
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!