iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scored a Setter

Started by Paper Maker, February 28, 2012, 05:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paper Maker

This has turned out to be one of the better jobs I've had yet. A business owner here in town asked if I would cut some oak boards for his bridge that where getting in bad shape. I'm cutting all the boards 3"x9"-12"x16'. I'm using his equipment and one of his employes.
   Here is a neat little pic of some of the trees. The trees are much bigger than the pic show. 

Anyway, I was over at his barn yesterday and he asked if I had any use for this thing.

He wasn't sure what it was but it had something to do with sharpening bands on sawmills. I thanked him and told him that I could get some good use out of it.
   I've been looking at Cook's sharpeners and setters for awhile now but it looks like I'll be using a Dinasaw setter. This setter doesn't have the arms that hold the band up but I can easily make them. After cleaning it up yesterday it doesn't look like it has ever been used.
    When I can get some money saved up I'll check with Cook's on a sharpener if their compatible and I can't see where they wouldn't be.

Ga Mtn Man

smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_bounce
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

Nice score there Paper Maker!

I'm sure it'll get lots of use!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coastlogger

I recently "aquired" a similar unit. Have been playing with it in my spare time. There is a thread on it. Be interested to hear/share your experiences getting it to work for you. I found Bibbymans thread quite helpful ie toothheight is super critical.Havent actually cut anything with a Dino'd band (not milling right now) so have been setting then unsetting then setting the same band.Think Im about ready to fly.Sure is speedy I have high hopes.
clgr

bandmiller2

Paper maker,thought you were talking about an english setter.Setting and sharpening are two different machines that Dino should be fine with the cats claw.Theirs a short learning curve setting and sharpening don't get discouraged.I've never used a dino but heard their fast,good score. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

swampbuggy

I consider it a great find. Wish I had found it! 8) :D ;D
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

hamish

You can get the complete woners manual for the Dinasaw Setter on WesternWoodlots web site.  Pretty darn slick for a freebie!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

snowshoveler

That guy does not fool around...check out the knife wedge on his woodsplitter.
Wow.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Thank You Sponsors!