iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for EAB in Maine

Started by thecfarm, February 28, 2012, 07:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I was out front yesterday and saw the Forest Ranger truck go by,we live on a dead end road so knew he was going to be right back down if nothing was going on up there. He came up my driveway. He wanted to put a Emerald Ash Borer trap on my land. He marked a tree and we talked for a while. Another group will come put the trap up in May or June. None here as yet. Hope they don't find any.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ryan D

Sure hope they don't show up but I think it's only a matter of time.

petefrom bearswamp

Haven't been hit here yet, but it is now in eastern NY.
Hopefully won't see it for a few years yet.
Sold my Ash in 09 after seeing dead ash in western NY in 08.
Still working on the tops feeding my OWB and supplying firewood to my son and a couple of friends.
also the logging co. didn't utilize very close and have sawed a lot of short logs out for hay wagon racks.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

The brochure he gave me said Albany County,NY for the closet infestations to me in the U.S.
I don't really have much Ash on my land. I would have a hard time to find enough logs to fill up a truck and that's on 150 acres. Nothing of any size. Probaly by the time it does really start to grow the bugs will be here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

I noticed the other day that there are new signs at the Maine border saying that "out of state firewood is banned". Not sure it will make a difference.
Not that long ago I saw a truck with Vermont plates loaded with firewood cross into Maine on Route 2.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

snowstorm

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 28, 2012, 09:10:57 AM
I noticed the other day that there are new signs at the Maine border saying that "out of state firewood is banned". Not sure it will make a difference.
Not that long ago I saw a truck with Vermont plates loaded with firewood cross into Maine on Route 2.
its been that way for a couple years. sure it wasnt hard wood pulp? or was it cut an split?

sprucebunny

Guess they just got around to the sign on Route 302....

It was a one ton pickup with cut and split in a dump trailer. ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

John Mc

DanG! I didn't realize it was already in SE NY (Albany County area). It's closer to Vermont than I realized. I had been assuming that the infestation in Canada would hit my area first, but this one will probably spread to VT shortly. We're a good ways further North, but it's only a matter of time, I guess. There is a lot of traffic between VT and NY, and it doesn't have the barrier of going through Customs that Canadian traffic does.

I don't have a lot of Ash on my land, but there are some beautiful stands in the area.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

John,I forgot to mention Montreal and Quebec,Canada.

thecfarm

Another Forest Ranger gave me a call to set the trap up. Took him only about a ½ an hour to get the job done. They use 2 different type of lure and all the sticky stuff is on the outside of the trap.  Put a tag on the tree to explain what the trap is. Just to educate anyone who might come across it. Suppose to be back in July to check and change the bait in the trap and than back in Sept to take it down.

cutterboy

I just checked on Google Earth. I'm 85 miles east of Albany. I don't like this at all. I don't have a lot of mature ash on the farm but I have a lot in the 8-14 inch range.

When I was a kid the old timers used to talk about the demise of the chestnut and I'm old enough to remember the big beautiful elm trees that used to shade the streets and town commons, but I'll be heartbroken if we lose our ash trees. :-[
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

thecfarm

Two college kids came in a state van to check the trap. None were found. They was covering 3 counties. One only lives about 20 minutes from me. So he know what to expect in the area. A lot of nothing.  ;D

PAFaller

I grew up in CT, and my folks still live there. My dad called me about this a week or so ago, hope its ok to post this link here. Its been found in Naugatuck and Prospect CT.

http://shelton.patch.com/articles/connecticut-prepping-for-battle-against-emerald-ash-borer-video-0414c843
It ain't easy...

beenthere

Appears that once it is found, the battle has long been lost. Not much to do at that point but to go further away and set up observation points to monitor where it shows up next. Close to being an exercise in futility.

Appears to be little to no information out about the release of some parasitic wasps that feed on the EAB.

I did find a video from last year in February.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc668J_TxYs&lr=1
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Didn't we get stuck with a dam beetle from someone trying to bring in something to eat something else.....    >:(    ::) ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ron Scott

Ash Borer on the Move

NH Protects Itself from Emerald Ash Borer

Union Leader.com (July 23) - Driving through several New Hampshire towns, including New Boston, Hopkinton, Hillsboro, and Weare, motorists may have seen the purple, triangle-shaped tubes hanging on tree limbs.

They're not windsocks, fancy kites, or decorations for trees, but rather one of the latest efforts to keep the emerald ash borer out of the state.

Ash Borer Could Devastate State's Forests

Greenwich Daily Voice.com (July 23) - According to state officials, emerald ash borers detected in parts of Connecticut recently have the potential to dwindle the state's forests if they aren't trapped and monitored properly.

The E-Forester
~Ron

thecfarm

A state Forester came with a volunteer for the paper work and took the trap down.
Up in a ash tree,

Showing the lure in it,

Showing the bugs on it,

I told them to put me down again for next year,if the state is going to set traps up again.
No EAB were found.

Ron Scott

~Ron

bill m

They just found it here in western mass a few weeks ago. No official press from the DCR yet. I think they may still be trying to find out how big of a quarantine area to set.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Draco

It's too late for us, in Michigan.  I took down about a dozen ash last weekend for firewood.  It's already seasoned.

If you are in a threatened area, or one that has just started to be infested, a soil drench with Imidacloprid can save your ash trees.  I found this because we now have a birch borer that killed two of my birch this year.  I have about two dozen that I may be able to save.  For the birch borer, I need to treat soon - this fall.  The ash borer treatment is done in the spring.  This is probably due to different egg laying/larvae hatching times.  It's impractical on a large scale, but worth it to me to save a couple of dozen birch.

clww

AHHHH! This explains alot! I've been seeing these near our area, and in the adjoining counties, in the mountains of VA. I've heard all kinds of stories on what these purple triangular contraptions were hanging from trees. Now I know. No Ash on our 38 acres, though. We do have a bug killing lots of the Hemlock population, unfortunately.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

submarinesailor

Quote from: clww on September 19, 2012, 03:06:49 PM
We do have a bug killing lots of the Hemlock population, unfortunately.

Chief - I had the same thing happen to my place over the mountains in Madison County.  Lost all my medium and up sized Hemlocks.  Some real nice ones were the first to go. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Bruce

thecfarm

Same here with the hemlock here too. I have 4-8 that are dead and just 100 feet from there are some nice looking hemlock.

clww

This year seemed to be better on the trees. Some died, or are showing signs of distress, but not nearly the way I experienced in 2011.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!