iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker

Started by Bolie, February 27, 2012, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolie

Does anybody know about log wizard or any other chainsaw attachment for debarking?
If you want to do something bad enough you'll find a way,If you don't you'll find an excuse!!!!!!!!

hunterbuild

a friend has one. I'm thinking of getting one. He is using his to peal logs.

Cutting Edge

I purchased one for debarking a strip on the logs before they get opened up on the mill.  Seem to be a decent built attachment.  Make sure you know the chain you intend to use to prevent having to buy another sprocket to match what you run on your saw.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Meadows Miller

Gday

Dad n I tried the Log Wizard for peeling house logs about 17ys ago but went back to the Draw Knife as it is heaver to use than a DK on your body day in day out but it was bloody handy for knocking the odd stretch of dirty bark of ahead of a band mill thats for sure I would reccomend it for that use  ;) ;D smiley_thumbsup

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Meadows Miller

Ill add to RS's advice by saying invest in a new cutterless chain and a dedicated bar with it  as using an old chain and bar is false economy plus it gives you something thats ready to run outa the box mate ;)

Cutting Edge

Not to argue against Meadows....he has a good point depending on application.  IMO : If you use your saw in conjunction w/ a Log Wiz and a chain w/ cutters, you can do any trimming : bumping knots, squaring ends, etc, w/ one setup, before it hits the mill.  Saw can pull double duty without switching around. 

I suggest useing a bar with a decent amount of taper at the tip.  The sprocket on the LogWiz is small, and a wide tip doesn't allow for a good transition to and from attachment:  IT WILL KICK A CHAIN!!!  SAFETY IS FIRST!!!

For peeling/shapeing logs, go with what Meadows suggested.  No need for cutters.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Meadows Miller

Nah no arguing here Mate ;) I never used it to bump knots which aint a bad Idea as you said safty is first Mate ;) back then 95 i think  :) as we where just trialing it for dedicated debarking of house logs in the end we went a 4500odd psi pressure washer with a turbo head that nearly cost us $5500 back then too so its not realy in the same class either Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Handy Andy

Question, do you need a big saw, or could you put it on one of those Poulan saws that are priced reasonably?
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Cutting Edge

$5500 for a pressure washer!?!?!   :o  I'd hope that would peel some bark....DanG

Quote from: Handy Andy on February 28, 2012, 06:57:17 AM
  Question, do you need a big saw, or could you put it on one of those Poulan saws that are priced reasonably?

Yes, they will work with the lil saws (what mine is mounted on)...the bars that come one those have a since taper to transition the chain.  As with anything, power makes a difference.  The light weight lil saws make it easier on the body too!  Be careful of the head; they coast alot longer than a chain after you throttle down...the head acts like a flywheel.  Chain brake is a must!

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Bolie

Is it faster than a sharp shovel?
If you want to do something bad enough you'll find a way,If you don't you'll find an excuse!!!!!!!!

learydeere

I just bought one to debark with and it works great.  It dulls fast with any dirt but stills peels bark off.  The only downside is you kind of need to designate one saw to it because it doesnt come off easily

semologger

Just bring em up to missouri and i will run them thru my morbark peeler for ya. 8 foot log in 15 seconds. ;D The draw knifes do give the rustic look. A guy here builds log houses and uses one all the time for all the interior stuff.

Bolie

ok just ordered one from baileys will let yall know soon as i get it

Thank You Sponsors!