iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic winch on my tractor, what should I use ??

Started by roger 4400, February 27, 2012, 01:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger 4400

Hi everyone. Next summer I might log some trees with my 4wd tractor ( I need wood to feed my new sawmill ;D). It is a Massey 43 hp.
I own a Farmi logging winch, my only problem is that where I have nice and big cedars, I need to go down the hill and I do not know if I get stuck in a soft spot and release my load will the tractor will climb and get out of the hole .or sink :(......so if I have another small Hydraulic winch in the front  I should be able to winch myself (I wish I have enough room between the *bumper** where we place weight and the loader crossmember) I red on the net that Mile Marker makes some good winch but are rated to 1500 psi, my oil flow on the tractor is 2276 psi, will the winch can handle that pressure ??? Is there any other winch that can take that pressure?? Anyone use 2 winches ( rear  and front) or I'm paranoid  :D Thank you, best regards. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Brian_Rhoad

chevytaHOE5674

You can plumb a pressure reducer in there someplace.....

bill m

Get a Ramsey RPH 8000. I have 3 of them and they are bullet proof.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

treejoe

I started out using a 2000lb. winch and didn't get done in the woods that day before it burnt up. I then went to a 10,000lb and it lasted 3 months before it fried. The 12,000lb. lasted a little longer but i ended up getting a vortex 17,000lb. that i used for 2 1/2 years and was still working just fine when i sold the truck it was mounted on. New they run about 700$. Just a thought.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: roger 4400 on February 27, 2012, 01:11:00 PM
    Hi everyone. Next summer I might log some trees with my 4wd tractor ( I need wood to feed my new sawmill ;D). It is a Massey 43 hp.

Oooh, MF 1643! I had a 1443 for my first tractor. I used it for 6 years and then Massey ran the 0% finance deal on the 1500 series. I needed something bigger so I got a 1552 cab model; really nice! They allowed me what I bought my 1443 for 6 years previous on trade! They definately hold their value. 1600 series came out right after I bought my new one....of course!

roger 4400

Yes it is a 1643 and I love it........and I don'T want to see it sink in a black dirt hole :D :D With the Farmi winch, no problems to go backward.....but to climb the hill I'll have to go forward. ;)..Thank you for your answers, I appreciate. I carefully looked at the Ramsey winch, and they do not seem to have problems with oil pressure, they really look industrial, Mile Marker seems to fit for 4X4 drivers. Thank you and best regards. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Gunny01

I just bought a BGU Proforest 6.5 H winch for a John Deere 2940. My tractor is older so when I looked at the winch I found that they have a independant hydraulic system . The really attracted me hence it doesn't drag my tractor down. I also have remote to work while I am off the tractor.

The guys are new in the US but the quality is A+++ so was a good deal

Gunny

LorenB

Quote from: roger 4400 on February 27, 2012, 01:11:00 PM
...Mile Marker makes some good winch but are rated to 1500 psi, my oil flow on the tractor is 2276 psi, will the winch can handle that pressure ???

Roger,

The way I read the Mile Marker specifications, the 1500 psi is a MINIMUM pressure, not a maximum.  I have been using a Mile Marker winch on my Ford 5030 tractor for years with no problems at all.  I don't know the pressure of the tractor's hydraulic system, but I'll bet that it's something close to 2500 psi. 

I think you'll be fine with a Mile Marker.  I like mine a lot. 

Good luck,
Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

mainiac

X2 on the MileMarker. Have one on my tractor for a few years now also. No problems with the hydraulic pressures.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

roger 4400

Thank you both of you concerning the Milemarker winch, I'll seriously think about it. Best regards. Roger

Thank You Sponsors!