iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Had a little storm blow this way.

Started by isawlogs, February 26, 2012, 10:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

It all started friday afternoon and it quit snowing late last night. We got anywheres between 12 to 24 inches and she blew three feet deep behind the barn. The first part of this system came in from the east and the later one from the west, most of our storms here come from the west. We had no snow to talk about on thursday, well that over now   ::) :D 

The sun was out today and I spent all that nice time on the tractor pushing snow!

I did have a couple of helpers out with me,

They where hard at work here making sure nothing came between us. Balou is the furthess back, resting from all that work , Charlie, she is still on the lookout.  :)

I got to the back of the barn it got deeper as I went, there was three feet of drifted snow that needed be pushed to get the doors open to let the horses out.

It really was a nice day out and I had a good time pushinf the snow around. Not getting stuck made it all that much more interesting too.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Texas Ranger

Have I ever mentioned, that's what I like about the south?

It is beautiful, though.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

That is a completely different world than I have ever seen.   :o   But as TR said, Pretty.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

I like your tractor. Is it a 550 or Super 55? Or other?

Congrats on not getting stuck, that's a noteworthy accomplishment.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

We only got about 6 inches. Lucky here it was kinda heavy, or I would of had 3 foot drifts. The wind sure did blow here too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Marcel I for one want to thank you for hogging all of the snow from that last storm going through! Not sure I should mention it but another one is heading your way on Wednesday.

Buck

Norm, he needs one of those snow eating machines like you posted a while back. ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

thecfarm

I forgot about Norm's blower.  Should of put a steak on and had something cold for him in the fridge and he would of brought his green tractor over and helped you clean up. Looks like we may get all of our snow at the end of winter. May is not too far off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Well I'm to blame for all of this new snow...seems I took the blower off the tractor so I could use it for other things. 1st weekend after I did so we got 6"s of snow.  :D

thecfarm

Is that the first time you used it all year? This was the first storm we had this year for 2012. We had more snow in Oct. than we have now. That sounds odd to say.  ;D

Norm

I used it when we got about 3"s of snow. It did a great job of clearing all the loose rock on my driveway.  :D

isawlogs

Okrafarmer, yes sir , thats a 550 with a lot of miles on her  :)  I have had that now for close to 25 years It needs a little attention come spring time. The head gasket is leaking some and one cylinder has no compression. It just needs a good overhauling to get her in top shape. That little tractor has really good traction, gear ratio in reverse is good. A lot of tractors have either a low reverse that is too slow, as with the Massey 135 or too fast ( same 135 )  ::)  We had one of those and I prefer the old 550 to it.

Norm
  I had a little talk with the weather guy. I informed him of your short comings of snow he will be happy to share all I got with you this coming week. He mentions something in the likes of  freezen rain. Might want to start looking fur a grit dispencer for that Deer.  ;)

Da joyes of winter!!!   It's -20°C here this morning the snow squeask under your feet as you walk outside!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chevytaHOE5674

According to the NWS we have received 26.5" of snow since Friday afternoon and its still snowing. Supposed to snow today and tomorrow then Tomorrow night into Wednesday they are calling for "significant snowfall". Hasn't snowed much in the past few weeks but we are going to make up for it now I guess.

I really need to go plow some more but I think I've contracted some sort of sickness, so the thought of going out in the snow to get the pickup truck cleared off and warmed up isn't too appealing right now.

Chuck White

We didn't get any snow in October, and in November we only got 4".
Only had snow on the ground one day during deer season!  :-\

Marcel; We only got about 10-12" out of the Friday and Saturday blasts!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

We got a foot of snow Thursday night. Area's 10 miles away got 2. There was a snow band that stalled over Harrison and dumped about 2 inches an hour. I think this was the same system that found Marcel. It was a fluffy snow, so not bad.  Tomorrow's forcast is the kind of storm prediction you dread. Starting off with freezing rain, changing to heavy snow.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

We where hit with a foot of heavy snow from Swampdonkeys way then we got the other foot from Jeffs way. I hate being da midle man...  :-\

Jeff, I would rather have the heavy snow myself, at least it stays put and does not get moved around with the wind, we are in a river valley here with the tail end of the appalachian mountains surounding us and drifting light snow can be very troublesome.

Marcel

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Just once I would like to see this place suddenly buried in 2-3 ft of snow.  ;D  Of course some people probably would die....  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

isawlogs

Okra,
If only to experience it, no need in getting anyone killed .. take a drive up here  ;) Room and board, no grits, you will need to live/survive without   ;D  Chickens eat them and we eat the eggs. Its all in about how one sees things.  :)  I'll even show you how to snowshoe and break trail for all that fallow. :)

Danny ....   :D :D :D   I'll take you out snowshoeing also, trust me you won't be getting cold. I'll make sure we have a bottle of Sortilege whisky. You may get addicted. ;D

Marcel

Okrafarmer

I grew up in Maine, Mon Ami, (though I don't parlez French), but I do know what deep snow is like. I just meant I would like to see it down here, just for the panic reactions of all the people who have never seen so much before. It would be entertaining. But a lot of buildings would collapse from the weight since they are not designed for it.

But maybe one day I will visit Quebec, sounds like fun! (I was there once as a 3-year-old, vaguely remember it!)

CLL

We haven't had 4 inches all winter, and its been way above normal temps. Be a bad year for ticks and chiggers
Too much work-not enough pay.

WDH

I have been to the great Province of Quebec twice.  Next time I come I hope to be snowshoeing and sampling the Creek Water  :D

Thank you, Marcell!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Thanks, Marcel.   Sure looks nice...from here.    :D   I've only been in snow of that magnatude a couple times.  Both those times were afoot, in the mountains and far, far from any other human.  All in all, I b'leeves I prefer those great snowstorms of Southeast Texas.   :D

I did have a fellow come by the shop yesterday, lamenting his problems that a 10" rains had recently presented him.   However, he also praised the attributes of the 550 he was allowed to use to dig out.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Okrafarmer

You can't keep'em down. The old Olivers were built with Antichronologium. If you don't neglect them too fiercely, they will probably last 100 years. Some that are 70 are still going strong. Most of them before that don't have modern enough features to still be daily or weekly users, but see the tractor logging thread for a video I posted of an old steel-wheeler that somebody is still using to pull logs out with.

doctorb

I, for one, like snow a bunch.  I know it can get old if you get clobered again and again, but being outside on a day like you see in Marcel's pics is a thrilling, beautiful experience.  I also enjoy hearing my neighbors complain about it.  It's just crystalized water!  So the more they grumble, the better I feel.  I know that sounds mean-spirited, but, becasue I enjoy the stuff, it somehow makes the challenge of working through it much more fun!  Twisted?  Maybe.  Happy in the snow?  You bet!  We've had none of it to speak of this year.  Wierd.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!