iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

garage/shop plans

Started by woodmills1, February 15, 2004, 06:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

We have quite a few good sites listed for log style or post and beam plans, anyone have lings to good sites for conventional framing plans?  I will soon be pulling a permit to build a house but want to start with an oversized garage so I can use the garage space to dry and manufacture the lumber for the house.  Any help or sites that you like?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Minnesota_boy

Sorry I can't help with the plans except to tell you that there are no oversized garages, just undersized.  :(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

L. Wakefield

Take the largest number of cars you could possibly want in there. Add 1. Figure the floor space for that. Double it. That's what you want. I can tell you this fer shur because that's what I ain't got. For a big project we have to blow all 3 cars out. For anything at all we have to leave one out, and that's bad in the winter.

You *could* do it like my brother-in-law did- double the space by building a 2nd floor, but ya ain't putting the cars up there, and so any project wood have to go up there (any project wood would have to go up there..). And then you run the ultimate risk of it being taken over for living quarters (happened to him and several others I know..)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

SwampDonkey

@ L Wakefield

I seen that takeover happen at my uncle's neighbor's garage.

Shoulda hung a shingle NO ADMITTANCE

:)  ;)  :D  ;D  ;)  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Go big.  As has been pointed out you can never have enough room.  I had a guy tell me once to take your final plan and add 25% to it.  All his buildings were full and he didn't have any more room so I'd say to go at least 50% bigger ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Plowboy

The other day we were out working in the shop planeing some boards.  That day I was wishing that the shop was bigger.  Normally we don't handle very long boards, but the other day I a fellow wanted some 12' cedar boards planed.  It took awhile to move things around to make room to handle those long boards.  I thought when we built the shop it would be plenty big.  But like the other day I was wishing it was bigger.  

redpowerd

corley, ditto
i built my house and shop about that much bigger
now i need a smaller house and bigger shop ;D
ne1 like pullin nails? :D ;)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

chet

The day my pole barn garage was finished I drove in with my pickup, did a U-turn and drove out. Man what space.  8)  I have since doubled that building, but would be hard pressed to find room to park my lawn mower.   :(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Bill_B

Bill B

Norm

We did the same as Chet, built a 72 x 42 pole building (Morton built it) filled it up and added on another 60' in length. That's where we put our wood to air dry and keep the shop tools. It's so full we are are going to have to put up another one on the farm. But most of our equipment goes in it and really helps it last longer keeping it out of the weather.

Thanks for the link Bill, good ole ISU has some great stuff on their web site. They have an excellent forestry program too.

woodmills1

Thanks for the link Bill, anyone else have any?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Furby

My mother's cousin has a two story garage. Actually two of them now. The main garage on the house is just like any other, but was designed with another underneath that is accessed from the side. The house is built into the side of a hill, so you just drive around and down. The upper garage is a three car.

Recently they added a two story detached garage. You can get 12 cars on the upper level, more if you want.  :o

I guess it pays to be in the concrete business.  ::)

woodmills1

Thank You Sponsors!