iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More and Less Productive Jobs

Started by Magicman, February 26, 2012, 02:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, some saw jobs are just less productive than others.  This past week's job sawing over 100, 8' logs only yielded 6200 bf.  You just can't make good production with a majority of 6"-10" dib logs and sawing 1X4's and 1X6's.  Those 60, mostly twelve foot 16"+ dib Cypress logs spoiled me a couple of weeks ago.

While I am not complaining because it still was a good week, it's just to point out to some of our new sawyers that saw jobs certainly are not equal even though you may very well put in as many hours sawing.

Over 100 mostly Poplar logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rmack

don't want to sound like a beginner, but what the heck... I am one.

what does 'dib' mean?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I was wondering where you been all week.
Lots of logs in the pic. At least Poplar saws pretty fast.

Sometimes on these small logs, we just have to smile and go with the flow.  :)

Because of size, did you mill by the hour?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Shotgun

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Chuck White

I know what you're saying Lynn, been there many times.

Whenever I have a cut-sheet for 4" 6" 10" etc, I'll usually (for example) saw out 1 x 10's, then put a bunch of them on the mill and cut at 6", then I have lots of 6" and 4" boards in one cut.

I would assume that you do that, albeit you've been milling longer than me!  ;D

I've been out getting my mill squared up for this years sawing season, can hardly wait.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 26, 2012, 03:20:08 PM
Because of size, did you mill by the hour? 

No, sometimes it's best to just let the "hide go with the hair".   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsdown
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 26, 2012, 03:20:08 PM
..... did you mill by the hour?
Just wanting to point out sometimes just milling moment by moment seems best.   ::) ::) ::)

Nothing about Magicman's logs above, but more about taking things in stride and judging it the next day.   Had a job yesterday where  somehow it took me 45 min extra to set up.  There was only one position where the mill could be set up and the truck kept slipping sideways down the hill next to two trees, till I finally got it right. Not something I'd charge the customer for. Happy to be home with nothing broken and not letting customer seeing any frustration.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Exactly right.  Moment by moment is a good description.  There were 3 whacks at the above job, and I could have easily charged him 20 bucks to break the mill down and move to the next whack.

Ga Mtn Man

This is good stuff to know for those of us thinking of getting in to the business.  Thanks!
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

beenthere

Quote from: Shotgun on February 26, 2012, 03:21:50 PM
dib is "diameter inside bark."
That would be good for the FF dictionary too. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

For the new member's benefit, the FF Dictionary is under "Extras" above, and there is a lot of good stuff hiding there.   smiley_thumbsup

customsawyer

You also have to be careful what you wish for. I spent 6 days cutting in one customers location and had another customer bring some logs over to the site. Most of the logs were small dia. but I was still able to get a 21,500 bf out of them. I spent most of the time wishing I had some bigger logs.
I moved to the next job that had some decent cypress and pine logs to cut. There was 5 18' pine logs and the smallest one was 25" dia. at the small end. The customer wanted all 2X4 lumber. Needless to say handling some of those 2X24" slabs to cut them down to 2X4 requires some extra work. I had to laugh at myself because it had just been the day before that I was complaining about having to cut 6" dia. logs. ;D I was able to cut 5,000 bf out of the pine and cypress on that job so all in all it was a good 8 days.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

rmack

QuoteFor the new member's benefit, the FF Dictionary is under "Extras" above, and there is a lot of good stuff hiding there.   smiley_thumbsup

now we're loggin'  8)

thanks guys.

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

WDH

I have a "high" production job coming up.  I will have to take a picture of the "log" pile  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

Quote from: WDH on February 26, 2012, 07:40:08 PM
I have a "high" production job coming up.  I will have to take a picture of the "log" pile  :).

Is that "the" log pile? :)
Think like a farmer.

Peter Drouin

I guess we all run our companies different :D. moment to moment I have cut up small logs too but no more, 1 or 2 10" top end is ok but thats it , by the BF  theres no money in it for me, and we all know the work is hard :D so what I do if the customer has 10" and smaller logs its by the hr , or they can get some one else :D. I feel with the price of things I cant work for less. I mean the customer dont care if it takes you all day to cut his 20 logs, he just wants his wood. so im very polite and say no. a customer came to see me today, and has 12" and biger top end logs. he wants1" and 6x6 , all by the BF and thats ok ,but he wants to pay less for the 6x6s. by the BF you know less cuts :D Im polite and say no its all the same. BF is BF I have to lift them off the mill its all work. so maybe my thinking is all  wrong but most customers dont care if you have to role the log up hill to the mill or work in water or have your truck slide in a tree or cut in a log you know is full of ants, ill cut it with the chain saw and toss it to the side, i wont put it on the mill.I have done this tooooooo long :D :D   so I do my best to stay a way the moment to moment :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

Peter I am going say that if you look at the fact that I averaged over 3000 bf per day for 6 days cutting the small dia. logs with 90% of it being 1 by lumber. If I can't make a decent living on 3000+ bf per day on a portable job including the time to set up and break down then I need to raise my price per bf. I will admit that 3000 bf a day is not that great in a stationary mill setup but in portable sawing it isn't to bad. I am not putting down what you said just sharing a different perspective on it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I was comparing the vast differences between two "over 100 miles away" portable jobs.  One where I averaged well over 2500 bf per day and this one where I barely averaged 1500 bf.  Both were good jobs.  As Jake pointed out above, I do not have his higher production sawmill but likewise, I can manage very well with this 1500 bf per day job.  That prorates out to over $90K gross annually.

Cedarman

Our average log size is 7" to 8".  We saw a lot 5", even some 4" that get slabbed to a rough 3 1/2 x 3 1/2.  We just use a different mill than you guys do.  End dogging band scragg.  Our margins are a lot higher than custom sawing too.

Doyle scale penalizes loggers that sell small logs compared to large logs.
I would think a sliding scale of board foot prices based on log diameter might be in order.  Say 50 cents for lumber out of a 10" log versus 30 or 35 cents for lumber out of a 17" log.  Just an idea.
I used to custom cut 30 years ago for 15 cents, so I know the issues you custom cutters face.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

cypresskayaksllc

I think the more logs I see the more of a log snob I become. Logs I would have been more than willing to get lumber out of a few years ago- I complain about now. Too small, too big, too gnarly, too long, too short, too rotten, too hard. Especially after I saw some nice logs like cypress logs
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Magicman

I had a little time to ask this last customer "why he chose to use me to saw his logs"?   Of course, I do know that most sawyers charge more for sawing 1" lumber and I had decided from the start, which was over 10 years ago, that my rates would be flat.   His answer surprised me because I really am not concerned how other sawyers base their rates.  He said,  "because I was the only one out of three sawyers that stated that my bf rates were flat regardless of the thickness of the lumber or the size of the logs".

Unlike cypresskayaksllc, I have become less of a snob.   Small, crooked, rotten, no matter.  Throw that sucker up there and I'll show it who is boss.   ;D :D

Peter Drouin

Well I guess im a log snob then, because I dont cut rotten logs and then charge for rotten wood. my customers look to me for advice on what to cut and what not to for the best lumber .I mean rotten and crooked logs makes rotten and crooked lumber. I want my customers happy to work with my lumber. and my rates are flat. I just dont waste my time or my customers time just to make a buck :)Customsawyer not bad at 3000' a day you must have some help :D and I bet you cut 2 or 3 small logs at the same time too :D :D  good job
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Tree Feller

I frequently carry logs to a sawyer to have them sawn. He has a flat rate but it is different for softwoods and hardwoods. The size of the logs does not matter nor does the rate change with dimension. I've hauled him 25" dib Pine and 8" dib Cedar as well as 8" - 30" dib Walnut. He cheerfully saws it all and always thanks me for the business.

Personally, I would not do business with a sawyer that charged by the hour.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Woodchuck53

And at the end of the year Mr. Lynn that's not bad. You sleep in your own bed everynight and hold the one love. That and the independence to do it is worth a whole lot in my book.

I've always been involved with flat rate, off bearer help or not and made my bills. May be a little more tired at the end of the day but the people I work with know me and trust what I do. Now I'm able to own a few labor saving tools.

Of course 30 years ago $50.00 was a good rate.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Meadows Miller

Gday

You have to take the good with the bad in portable sawmilling ;) :) thats the big difference between portable custom work and production work as in production mills you aim to keep your mill in the optimum log grade and dia class to achieve consistent production figures you do go over and under those limits at times ;) where as custom work you could be sawing anything and everything out of a tree   :) ;D 8) 8) and I fully agree with the boys that you need to set firm prices that suit what your doing and how you work and the type of mill you have as costomers dont like to think that a job price might blow out on them  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ladylake

Pretty good over run on this  job, 100    8'  x 10"  logs scale 3000 bf.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

There is nothing wrong with hourly rate sawing and that is what I use when sawing Cedar and other "specialty" logs.

I show the customer that if you take my 1500 bf rate and divide it by 8 hours it equals my hourly rate.  My work pace is the same no matter what the billing method is.

Yes, I will saw a rotten log.

There was about 300 bf of lumber in this "sinker" Cypress log.

This rotten Red Oak log turned out some very nice wall paneling for a "high end" home.

terrifictimbersllc

I'm 100% portable. Over half my customers are residential and have never had wood sawn before.  Because of distance I usually don't visit in advance.   I have challenges of sawing logs without seeing them first, being unsure of whether logs will be ready to saw, and working with who knows what kind of help will be provided.  One can only talk in so much detail in advance, without turning people off.  For example some people ask for an estimate, and I ask for a list of species, length and diameter for each log.  I will get this list only about 25% of the time.  I wonder whether the other 75% think I am nuts or just aren't "detail" people. Best to reserve judgment on that for everyone's benefit.   ::) ::) ::)  Another big variable is (for me) to know whether the customer will like what is inside the log before I saw it. Some like "character", and often there is some "sentimental" attachment, or sense of "green" duty, to the wood.  I find both things (what's inside, and whether they will like it), hard to judge and have become very careful about suggesting we take a chain saw to what's on the mill. 

I find the hourly rate makes customers sensitive to optimizing these factors both before and during the job.  On some jobs (logs ready, higher volume, optimal logs, efficient help, easy cutting instructions) I am beating what I probably would charge bf wise by 5-10 cents.  On others, I would be taking a beating sometimes maybe as much as 50 cents a bf if I had a flat bf price. (For example, a straight 18 foot 8x8 or 6x8 "whatever you can get out of it" from of a not so straight 14" diameter 20 foot ASH log frozen in the ground 20 feet from, and not lined up with the mill).  Usually,  it seems right that the customer gets the difference in value reflected in the different milling times, and it is appropriate that he pay for it. And then once in a while when it doesn't seem right, I just don't charge for all the time. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Okrafarmer

I've been charging hourly, but only done it a couple times. Haven't been pursuing the custom sawing because it is so much trouble. We're not set up for it, I'm needed doing other things most of the time. Today I expect to be bulldozing, for instance. Our mill isn't a real great one for custom production, because the frame isn't very rigid and it takes a lot of trouble to set it up. I'm lucky if I can saw 1,000 ft in a day unless the people provide me with good logs. Hasn't happened yet.... Once it was smaller birch logs that had been lying around for a year or so, another time it was a lot of old dead pine and oak logs that had been lying around for 8 months or so, through the summer, and were miserable to deal with, and I couldn't have charged bf on that one anyway, because most of them he had me saw in two down the middle to make benches of! (For a camp). In both cases, I was under my minimum charge of $400, so it was all good. If the mill were easier to set up, I'd have a smaller minimum charge.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Red Pill

You folks who charge by the BF, do you use Doyle scale, or what?

Okrafarmer

Or resulting boards, and count them?

Magicman

Actual scaled lumber.  For example a 12 foot 1X6 = 6 bf, and an 8 foot 2X4 = 5.3 bf, etc.

ladylake

How about a 1-1/2  x  3-1/2  x  8'   is that scaled as a 2  x 4 ?    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

CalebL

Quote from: ladylake on February 27, 2012, 08:57:10 AM

Yes.  I charge by the inch when cutting dimensional.  The only time I don't charge by the inch is when I am cutting random width stuff. 

Here is a job I did this weekend.  Almost 9k foot of pine and oak.  The 1x material I pull my tape across and get the average width for the layers  and just add how many layers I have and times it to get my footage.   All of the dimensional lumber (2x, 4x, etc) is scaled to full inch.   

2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Tree Feller on February 26, 2012, 10:55:07 PM

I have never paid by anything other than the hour. Sometimes I have logs sawn that are big, straight beauties. I always want random-width (as wide as possible) and a variety of thicknesses, so scaling it all would take a lot of time. With good logs, I come out ahead by paying per hour.

Other times, I have short logs with crotches, burls, or some sort of special personal attachment. Often these get sawed with live edges. I've had logs sawed in half to make benches. How do you calculate the board feet on that? In these instances, I pay more for a specialty product. The sawyer and I both come out happy. There's nothing devious about a sawyer who charges by the hour. For some jobs it's the only thing that makes sense.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Red Pill on February 27, 2012, 08:44:32 AM
You folks who charge by the BF, do you use Doyle scale, or what?
The few times I do it,  by sawn lumber volume.

Peter Drouin

I allways go to the customers job to look . Im not going to bring the mill there and find that I cant work because I cant get the mill in there or whatever :D :D I try to see the job before they cut the trees down .then I give them that WM card that shows the log scale and lumber scale. [International] then with there lumber list, they see how much of 8' or 16' logs or what they have to cut. that way they dont have to much 8' logs or are short on the lumber list. I see it all the time, customer cuts all the trees and should have cut 2 more 16' logs but he has all 8  10  12  left and no more trees  :D :D And when I cut 11/2 x 31/2 wood thats what I charge 1.50x 3.50 not 2x4. If you cut 11/2x  31/2 and charge for 2x4 lumber that you did not cut that 1/2" in a 1000 BF job it will add up. to me its not right unless the customer  is ok with that. In the 22+ years I have not had a customer give me free money :D :D Well lunch is over going out to the mill and cut some W pine 14" wide for a customer.  8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

CalebL

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 27, 2012, 12:56:48 PM
I allways go to the customers job to look . Im not going to bring the mill there and find that I cant work because I cant get the mill in there or whatever :D :D I try to see the job before they cut the trees down .then I give them that WM card that shows the log scale and lumber scale. [International] then with there lumber list, they see how much of 8' or 16' logs or what they have to cut. that way they dont have to much 8' logs or are short on the lumber list. I see it all the time, customer cuts all the trees and should have cut 2 more 16' logs but he has all 8  10  12  left and no more trees  :D :D And when I cut 11/2 x 31/2 wood thats what I charge 1.50x 3.50 not 2x4. If you cut 11/2x  31/2 and charge for 2x4 lumber that you did not cut that 1/2" in a 1000 BF job it will add up. to me its not right unless the customer  is ok with that. In the 22+ years I have not had a customer give me free money :D :D Well lunch is over going out to the mill and cut some W pine 14" wide for a customer.  8) 8)

So, if I want a bunch of 5/8" thick cedar cut, you are only going to charge me for 5/8" material and not scale it up to 1"? 

I go over all that before I show up to saw.  If a customer has a problem with it, I don't do the job.  However, I have never had someone have a problem with it. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

customsawyer

If cut less than 1" I charge for 1" but if I cut thicker than 1" I charge for what I cut. I try to guide the custome in the right direction if they are wanting me to cut something that they shouldn't but if they are sure of what they want I cut what they ask for. My last cutomer wanted all 2X4 out of his 18' logs but one of the logs had many large knots so I sugested to cut 1X lumber out of that one and he agreed. If he had said that he didn't want any 1X then he would have gotten some sorry 2X out of that log. Most customers will agree when you explain your reasons.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Quote from: ladylake on February 27, 2012, 08:57:10 AM

For me, yes.   If the thickness is over ¼", I scale the thickness up to the next even inch.  On wider boards, 7" or less is a 6".  Over 7" is an 8", etc.  On lengths, if the log is less than 10', I scale it as an 8', etc.  In other words, I scale the length down to the next even footage.

The above sounds complicated but I'll point out that in a give and take situation, I always give.  The point is I am not selling lumber, I am selling sawing.

All measuring and scaling is covered with the customer and agreed upon before any work begins, and I will say that I have never had any disagreement about any billing.

customsawyer

Custom sawing is about giving your customer good value for the money. It don't matter what you charge or how you charge. If you and the cutomer are both happy then everyone wins.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave VH

I appreciate you guys all sharing your charging plan.  Someday I hope to be able to do custom work for people.  I have had customers from my other business request it.  Right now my only lumber customer is a pain in the neck that doesn't pay for squat, and I make sure to tell him that every morning when I see him in the mirror.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Tree Feller

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on February 27, 2012, 12:15:17 PM
Quote from: Tree Feller on February 26, 2012, 10:55:07 PM

There's nothing devious about a sawyer who charges by the hour. For some jobs it's the only thing that makes sense.

I wasn't insinuating that it was devious but only stating that I prefer being charged by the BF. I have my hardwood logs sawn into random width 4/4 or 5/4 with an occasional 8/4 plank. Pine I have sawn into full dimension framing lumber.

With a BF price, I have a good idea beforehand what the cost will be and since I haul the logs to the sawyer, there is no minimum charge. It's simply the way I prefer of doing business.

As others have stated, the important result is that I leave happy and the sawyer is happy.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Okrafarmer

I have found that when providing this kind of service, or selling lumber to an individual who will use it, price is usually the least important factor to the buyer.

WDH

I rarely custom saw because I am not set up for it.  I have done it a few times for people I know, more as a favor, than for money.  I have one elderly old friend that can barely get around that wanted me to saw some cedar for him that another fellow gave him.  I told him that I would do it.  This is what he brought me  :).  This will be one of my less productive jobs.

I realize that this is pitiful.  I would not do it if he was not such a good friend and on the short end of his last woodworking days.  I probably won't even charge him.  I am not sure that I envy you custom sawyers  :D.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

All I can say is do the best you can for a good cause. You'll be glad you did tomorrow.  :)

Magicman

That looks  :o  like some very valuable Walnut Cedar logs.   :D

WDH

I had to step back and swoon a little when I saw them coming in on the trailer.  I asked myself, "What have I done?"  :).

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on February 27, 2012, 10:20:28 PM
I had to step back and swoon a little when I saw them coming in on the trailer.  I asked myself, "What have I done?"  :).

You have done a good deed.  :-\

Magicman

I seldom if ever charge for doing stuff like that.  I have said "no charge" and then been tipped more than I would have charged.   ;D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on February 27, 2012, 10:30:05 PM
I seldom if ever charge for doing stuff like that.  I have said "no charge" and then been tipped more than I would have charged.   ;D

I've generated a fair number of tips in my time. Not sure if it's my good looks or my cynical outlook... or just a commitment to making them happy.  ::)

I get a lot of tips when I'm bulldozing, or selling lumber. I've had people round up when paying me many times. Being a New Englander by birth, I don't know how to say no, graciously, but only how to say thank you graciously.  ;)

Red Pill

Migal

Quote from: WDH on February 27, 2012, 10:07:48 PM
I rarely custom saw because I am not set up for it.  I have done it a few times for people I know, more as a favor, than for money.  I have one elderly old friend that can barely get around that wanted me to saw some cedar for him that another fellow gave him.  I told him that I would do it.  This is what he brought me  :).  This will be one of my less productive jobs.

I realize that this is pitiful.  I would not do it if he was not such a good friend and on the short end of his last woodworking days.  I probably won't even charge him.  I am not sure that I envy you custom sawyers  :D.
Is it just Me or do I see the heart in there!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Okrafarmer

Usually if I get somebody face to face, they just want to buy something from me, even if it isn't what they originally came for. Like the guy who came wanting pine and cedar, and left with ambrosia maple!

Part of this kind of sale is, you have to LOVE the product or service you are offering. If you love it, your love for it will be contagious.

Meadows Miller

Quote from: WDH on February 27, 2012, 10:20:28 PM
Your doing  good deed there Danny ;) ;D 8) 8)

The "What have I done " part has happened to me afew times mainly on recycled the worst part of that is its usually two plus Semi loads  :) people tend to send alot of pics of the good ones they want cut Mate   ??? ::) :) ;) :D :D :D :D

Meadows Miller

I will also add We will be most likely running a couple of different rate structures both for Production Contract milling and Custom milling on both the Bandmill and the Circular mill we will have $220 to $260 per thousand on the Circular Mill at home and Large Portable Jobs  ;) and about $350 per thousand on the Band mill for portable jobs ill also give customers with smaller volumes the choice of bringing the logs into us to be sawn on the Circular mill at the lower rate  on the circular ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris

FeltzE

For on-site sawing I always go check the job before I accept it. Often offering advice on the quality, quantity, and utility of the logs. This allows for me to asses the job and in some cases talk the owner out of wasting their money on garbage logs, other times advising the owner how to deck the logs and the following lumber. It also gives me a chance to give an estimate and answer all their questions. The time it takes is not billed, often excessive and always productive.

We saw by the finished bf, under 1" lumber gets billed at 1" rates, everything over 1" billed at actual eg. 1 1/2 billed at 6/4, 2" billed at 2", 5/4 billed at 5/4, 1/2" billede at 1".

Tramp metal events $20 each, that covers the blade cost and changing time.

This year we are setting new rates,
   on site is one flat rate, unless you don't have someone to stack.
   in my yard, solid stacked lumber one rate, stickered lumber a higher rate
   minimum on site rate $200

paul case

I have had a few of those wooly boogers like WDH's pic show up and thee first time I say, ''Ya need to dehorn them a little closer'' and usually the next time they are a lot better.
Good for you Danny, but remember no good deed goes unpunished. For each charity case I have had I get 2 or 3 well abled men wanting a handout. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ga Mtn Man

Hey Meadows Miller,

Are you next door to me in AL or "down under" as the member's map shows?

I'm trying to get a sense of the "local" milling rates.  :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I'm not in either, but I would say that $225-$250 would probably be about right.  Certainly no less.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ga_Mtn_Man  Im not at Home in Alabama with My Girls like I bloody well should be by now  :( :'( just had to help my parents with some issues they needed help to deal with here :( its been driving us both up the wall but we will get there  ;) ;D smiley_love The good news is The block here is sold and settlement is before the 22nd of march so Ill be there as soon as I can to be with My girl and will be cashed up to get stuck into setting things up for us strait away  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Is this your first mill ?? My suggestion is do as many searches you can relative to your area to get a feel for who else is out there are you planing on this been your full time income ??? as you will come across all sorts of different rates across the USA as they are very area specific and what the market can bear and alot also depends on your equipment at hand as everyone has said if you dont come across many millers in your area its safe to say you can start a touch higher and feel the water same been said if your just learning to use your sawmill and just starting out you can start a little lower and work your prices up as your skill and production rises as Magic said $225 to $250 for a start but no less Mate ;):):)

With Our Pricing #1 is my skill as a Sawyer #2 is equipment selection with the Circ my production will be higher per hour and costs lower per thousand but the mill wont be as portable ;) with the Band mill doing portable which will be a manual mill we will be doing it on site and production will be lower  ;) My ideal situation will be to have the mills in sheds either getting logs delivered or going out picking up the customers logs on the truck bring them home and mill them in comfort apart from taking the band out on small 2 to 10 log jobs  ;) im only 31yo in afew days but im getting over standing out in the elements Rain hail or Shine while sawmilling in 104 in the shade sawing my last job here in full sun and it aint fun  :) ;) :D ;D

and Welcome to The Forum if I have not already welcomed you Mate  :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris

j rock

Custemsawer, If i had a moble mill when i was your age ;) i would,-could, saw out 3000 ft.per.day. But like Magicman, 1500 is a good days work. :)Some jobs i have lots of help,some jobs not so much. how far i have too travle plays in how hard i"m going to work. It"s great being your own boss.  8)   .J
whats fun? making saw dust!!

customsawyer

J Rock it has nothing to do with age but with good equipment. On portable jobs I use the LT70 remote with a edger. I also take a tractor with a grapple and pallet forks. These pieces of equipment have a tendency to raise production. I would like to take credit but most of that goes to what I use.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

J Rock it has nothing to do with age but with good equipment. On portable jobs I use the LT70 remote with a edger. I also take a tractor with a grapple and pallet forks. These pieces of equipment have a tendency to raise production. I would like to take credit but most of that goes to what I use.
[/quote]  Nice equipment you have. How many men does it take to run all that equipment ? :) :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

customsawyer

Most times it is just me and the wife on the portable jobs.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

1woodguy

If you cut on halves and person wants 1 1/2x3 1/2 and you want full size 2x4and 2x6 and one by is this ok ?
Question is their two bys are smaller but that's what they wanted
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

beenthere

Quote from: 1woodguy on February 29, 2012, 07:19:50 PM
If you cut on halves and person wants 1 1/2x3 1/2 and you want full size 2x4and 2x6 and one by is this ok ?
Question is their two bys are smaller but that's what they wanted

Among one of several problems when cutting on halves.
Try dividing the logs in two piles and cut one pile to your specs and the other pile his specs.
Should make for much happier campers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

customsawyer I am impressed of the amount of help your wife gives you on a portable job and I mean it 3000bf a day , good job very good job, she must be quite a lady. your a lucky man.  :) :) :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

The very few times that I have sawed on shares, we divided the logs.

customsawyer

Peter I am a lucky man. There are a few on the forum here that have been blessed with meeting her. Most of them had to sit down to some kind of home cooking.
When it comes to the milling along with the extra equipment I also carry a couple of 3' long roller tables to put at the front of the mill. These reduce the amount of work that the person doing the stacking has to do. The main way that they help is by letting the stacker only have to handle one end of the board. This reduces the amount of weight that this person has to handle.

These pics show how I place the roller tables. Maybe WDH will chime in here and share how they help.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I am on a low production job now.  16'-17' logs, but he wanted the butts cut to 10'.  :-\  That means handling those 6'-7' sticks.  Then there were two 20' SYP logs so the operator's seat had to come off.  There is no help, so it's only me working and 20' 2X12's are heavy.  Hourly rate is the only way to bill it.

ladylake

Looks like most on here charge by the actual bf  a 1-1/2  x 3-1/2  x 8' is 3.5 bf   a full 2  x 4 x8 is  5.33 bf which is good and almost all under 1"  is 1"    Steve

Magicman

Actually that has already been addressed.  Personally, I review this with the customer before sawing begins.  If he wants actual sized 2X4's than that is what he gets.  If he wants "store bought" sized 2X4's, then that is what he gets, and he gets more lumber from his logs.  The price per 2X4 is the same.  As Customsawyer indicated, if both you and the customer are satisfied with the billing arrangement, then all is OK.   smiley_thumbsup   :)

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on March 01, 2012, 07:32:38 AM
I am on a low production job now.  16'-17' logs, but he wanted the butts cut to 10'.  :-\  That means handling those 6'-7' sticks.  Then there were two 20' SYP logs so the operator's seat had to come off.  There is no help, so it's only me working and 20' 2X12's are heavy.  Hourly rate is the only way to bill it.

Feeling sorry for you, MM. Wish you had somebody to help with those thin beams. Take it slow enough that you don't hurt yourself.  :-\

WDH

With the drag-back on Jake's LT70, it is easy to slide/roll the board off the back of the mill using the roller tables.

(Note to Jake:  If we weren't always messing with such big honking logs, we might not need the roller tables  :)).

Magicman

I'm perfectly content to leave the heavy artillery jobs to you high production guys.  Problem is in my area, there are no high production guys, so guess who gets a call.   :-\

WDH

I am proud to be a low production guy, but I am Pro-Grits  ;D.

Okrafarmer

A lot of the tee-shirts and bumper stickers around here say:

I love G.R.I.T.S.
Girls Raised In The South!

Magicman

I married one and Meadows Miller is in love with one.   smiley_love

Dave VH

this thread came at a good time for me.  I got my mill for me to play with, and to supply myself with lumber.  In the last 2 days, I had 2 of my contractors from my normal income ask me to mill logs for them.  they will be my first customers with the mill, and now I have a better idea on how to charge them. 
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Magicman

Dave VH, your comment makes all of this jaw jacking worth while.  Learning and knowing is no good if you do not share it.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on March 01, 2012, 10:17:55 PM
I married one and Meadows Miller is in love with one.   smiley_love

Yes, I think Meadows Miller is a good candidate to buy the shirt and the bumper sticker!  :D

Magicman

I genuinely hope everything works out for those three.   :)

Okrafarmer

thecfarm

I don't mind GRITS or G.R.I.T.S. but grits or Grits is no place on a eating table. :D I know the difference between the two.  ;)
Get to get Coon back on here.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

At least when this thread finally got around to food, it chose top quality !!!    musteat_1

I don't have much grits on my table  'cause I eat um up.  And there ain't nothing better'n kissin' a grits eating G.R.I.T.S.   :D :D

beenthere

Quote from: Magicman on March 02, 2012, 12:18:07 PM
...............  And there ain't nothing better'n kissin' a grits eating G.R.I.T.S.   :D :D

::) ::) ::)

;)
south central Wisconsin

trapper

wife and I just came back from a cruise and grits was on breakfast menu.  Reconfirmed I dont care for them.
First person I met on the ship was a farmer from Pennyslvania and his son had just bought a skidder and owned a sawmill.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Magicman

I do not really care for the white grits that are always served in restaurants.  Our favorite is Yellow Grits and while we enjoy grits for breakfast, we eat more grits at night.

Hot Tamales and Yellow Grits.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Woodchuck53

OKRAFARMER, not to take any thing away from grits but to answer your earlier question I paid $50.00 a thousand and me and my dad tailed the roller bed. His one armed  brother (sawyer) ran the Corley edger. I would haul for a couple hitches and stack up and then saw on a weekend. 4 of us total most times and I would fall back and go MT the 6 yard dump of sawdust while Bomber files the blade or loaded the ramps. He had 30' of chain drive ramp back then so we'd work a good spell between sets. Larry the original owner was running his dad's dad old Corley mill. That's where I learned I had to have one for my self. Been eating a light sprinkle ever since. Oh and when we were feeling frisky we could saw out a 28' goose neck and 16' flat bed or around 4500' a day. Way overloaded and no stops at stop signs.

Grits and fried eggs, a good bacon and home made cat heads. Gotta go guys time to eat.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Meadows Miller

Thanks Fellas  ;) ;D I am sure everything will be fine once I get home as been apart is just driving us both nuts at times  :( plus I dont reckon I would move 15000+miles if wasnt sure we where on a winner and going to be together for a very long time  :) :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Jim/Okra Can I git shirts n hats Mate   :o :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) :D :D

Okrafarmer

:D

That can be arranged. message me.

Thank You Sponsors!