iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seafood

Started by sandhills, February 26, 2012, 11:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

My uncle passed away recently and my aunt had some seafood their sons from Alaska had sent them in the freezer which she gave to my wife and I.  On the menu for Monday night is king crab and halibut.  The crab is pre-cooked, so all it takes is a few minutes of boiling, my question for the crab is, does it need to be thawed first or just put it in the pot?  I would also like to know what you folks think is the best way to cook the halibut.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Mooseherder

For the Crab Thaw it quickly with running water.
It doesn't take long after getting the glaze off.
I would bake the Halibut.  It'll flake when ready.

Norm

One of my favorite seafoods is halibut cheeks deep fat fried. I'd do some baked also but if you have a deep fat fryer I love it that way.

As for the king crab I doubt it's any good, tell you what I'll be over in a couple of hours to throw it away for you.  :D

okmulch

Quote from: Norm on February 26, 2012, 11:47:44 AM

As for the king crab I doubt it's any good, tell you what I'll be over in a couple of hours to throw it away for you.  :D

It is always good to see forum members helping each other out! :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

sandhills

Sorry Norm, I think I'll have to taste test the crab first  ;D.  Thanks for the replies, I can cook a mean steak on my smoker but not any too sure about my seafood abilities.

Raider Bill

Quote from: sandhills on February 26, 2012, 02:41:36 PM
Sorry Norm, I think I'll have to taste test the crab first  ;D.  Thanks for the replies, I can cook a mean steak on my smoker but not any too sure about my seafood abilities.

Rule one about cooking seafood is don't over cook it.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 27, 2012, 08:39:11 AM
Quote from: sandhills on February 26, 2012, 02:41:36 PM

Rule one about cooking seafood is don't over cook it.

Yeah...undercooked seafood is just sushi  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Axe Handle Hound

I'm a little late, but I'll throw in my $0.02 on the halibut.  When I was a kid and lived in AK we used to always cut it into 1" cubes, boil it in salted water, and dip it in melted butter.  Man that was good eating.   

sandhills

Well Norm, after extensive taste testing the crab turned out to be just fine after all  ;).  When I picked it up at my aunts I thought we were just getting crab legs but after I unwrapped it all tonight, we got the whole beast  ;D.  Here's a few before and after pictures (of course being from Nebraska and raising cattle we had to have a little turf to go along with the surf)

And the reminants

We fed 4 of us very nicely  :)  Doc (aka my wife) baked the halibut with lemon and pepper, I didn't have any lemon pepper, and it turned out great but I really need to get a new grill, if I'd of had time I would have cooked the steaks on my little smoker our grill is absolutely shot beyond repair  :-\.

Norm

Wow that looks awesome!

Magicman

Sounds like you had the "whole meal deal" and the empty plates tell the story.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

DELISH!!!!

Looks like I'm headed to the beach tonight for a crab dinner. food1 musteat_1

Raider Bill

Had Fresh Stone crab claws, frog legs and Key West jumbo shrimp last night. 8) 8) Did I mention all were fresh! ;)

Just thought I'd share. ;D

sandhills

YUM!!!!  nuff said.  ;D

Magicman

Tellin' ain't sharin', it's braggin'.  But if I'da had that, I would "share" too.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!