iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Web Page suggestions

Started by Woodboogah, February 26, 2012, 08:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

I am having a web page made after thinking long and hard for a couple years.  I would say 98% of my work comes from word of mouth but with everyone on the interet I decided to do it.   I am looking to see what people, if they visited a site, would want to see on a page.  This is going to be a simple to the point page.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The majority of my clients are owners of small wood lots looking just to increase the health of the stand.  I am by no means big outfit.  Thanks in advance. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Busy Beaver Lumber

Woodboogah

Check out my website. It is by no means fancy or complicated and it took me all of a few nights to create using a very simple to use program called Site Studio 7 that our web hosting service makes available free of cost.

I get a lot of comments about the pictures and how people like that we show our operation and our capabilities. Would suggest adding lots of them to your website. This particular website has generated approximately $140,000 in business for us since its inception in 2008 and the best part is that when you figure we have three websites hosted for around $150 a year, you could say that this site costs me about $50 a year to have out there.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Woodboogah

Thanks.  I will check it out.  Simple is what I am looking for.  Just a what I offer and previous work.  Thanks again.  The information is much appreciated.

Jim_Rogers

I have recently taken a marketing course over the Internet. There are some basic rules for webpage design.

One is KISS. Keep it simple and smart. Not KISS "keep it simple stupid".....

Another is to not use lots of different colors. Use a white background with black letters. Only use two size and types of fonts. Make it easy to read, and plan on a 800x600 screen size.

Recently I watched a webinar and they said if a web page doesn't have a video on it then the user only stays there 12 seconds. I don't know if this one is true or not.

My website needs work for sure, but you can check it out and see what I mean.

Good luck with your design.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Cedarman

Make sure you have all of your contact info.
Home phone, cell phone, 800# if you have one.
Where you are located.
What you do?  When you can do it.
Put yourself in a potential customers shoes.  What would you deem important.
Equipment you use.
How long you have been doing business.
Probably 90 % of our business is because of the internet.  Maybe more.  Our website is www.cedarusa.com
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Woodboogah

Thank you all.   The information is greatly appreciated!!!

Brucer

Do a Google search for some combination of the following:

One of these ...
Douglas-Fir
Timbers
Timber framing

plus one of these ...
Rossland
West Kootenay

Page through the resulting list until you find  "The Kootenay Sawyer". Take note of which page you find it on. Click on it and you'll see what works for me.

;D ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Jeff

Jim, if that marketing course is still teaching a resolution size of 800 by 600, it is a bit antiquated.  Take a look at the current resolution shares.

http://www.statowl.com/screen_resolution.php
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jeff on February 27, 2012, 09:07:47 AM
Jim, if that marketing course is still teaching a resolution size of 800 by 600, it is a bit antiquated.  Take a look at the current resolution shares.

http://www.statowl.com/screen_resolution.php

Ah, I see.

Well never mind then......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Busy Beaver Lumber

Woodbaugh

If you are going to pay to have a website made, why don't you just hire Jeff to do it. He makes some awesome looking sites.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Jeff

I'm afraid Jeff is a bit backed up right now to take on anything new for awhile. With some current health issues and some outstanding commitments that need to take first priority, I'd not want to disappoint someone's schedule. I'll certainly be available in the future, just not the current foreseeable future.  :-\

Happy to give pointers where I can. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Woodboogah

I am looking to get this done during mud season, maybe sooner since its like mud season right now.  I may try and put something simple together by myself.  I dont think that will go that well, I am short in patience when it comes to electronics.  I will post it up when it is complete.  Thanks again for all your help and suggestions....off to the sugar shack now!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!