iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap Hand Tools

Started by davidv, February 25, 2012, 01:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidv

I'm spoiled when it comes to alot of tools because my dad has been a mechanic and welder. But he has NEVER been a woodworker and I have next to no tools. I need to buy some basic woodworking tools for some of my projects. I don't have much money so I can't buy new tools, preferably used or even antique. This is a list of tools of special interest.
Flat drawknife
Rip saw
Crosscut saw
Spokeshave
Basic chisels
Where would I have the best chance of finding a deal?

Riggs

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

beenthere

I'd suggest CL (craigslist), as well as Ebay and then garage sales (which I don't like doing, but have found some great deals out there).
Years back when I was in your shoes, I stumbled across a classified ad for an assortment of carpenter tools. Checked it out and for $25 there was a large carpenters tool box with a wide assortment of tools carried to the job site. The box was packed with saws, hammers, carp. square. tri square, chisels, levels, nail pullers, key hole saw, tapes, sawdust, assortments of screws and nails, etc, etc.

Good luck with the search.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

upnort16

I'd jump over to the timber frame section of the forum and look through Jim Rogers list. He has most if not all of those items and I can assure you from personal experience, the tools are very usable and sharp when delivered. Reasonably priced and the elbow work of getting a flea market find to the workshop is already done for you! Good luck!

Clam77

Being from Missouri... the Amish/Menonite might would probably have some. 
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

davidv

Clam77, that's a good idea. I have several communities around me. I usually try to stay away from craigslist and ebay, I wouldn't be able to check the tool out first hand and I don't have Paypal.

beenthere

CL is the reason I do like it because you can check out the tool before buying. EBay no. And you can pay cash if/when you do buy the item listed on CL

Are you familiar with Craigslist?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

davidv

Hmmm, no apparently I'm not familiar with Craigslist... I don't get out much.

T Welsh

Start by searching your local newspaper and look at the auctions each week,I have picked up a lot of good tools this way. Tim

beenthere

David, I understand.
Here is the CL for Springfield, MO

http://springfield.craigslist.org/

Look under "tools" in the "For Sale" section.

You also can do a search for individual items, as well can list what you are looking for under "wanted".

Check it out. It is very like a classified section in the newspaper. Contact can be made by telephone or sometimes just a reply to the ad. No bidding.
south central Wisconsin

Larry

Auctions are good but you can spend all day waiting for one item and than it sells too high.  Craigslist is good but a lot of folks watching for deals....me for one.  I check it at least 4 times a day and can move on a deal.  I've been known to drive all the way to Springfield for the right machine. :D :D  Garage sales are ok but far too much driving for my pocket book.  Flea markets, where say four or more are selling out of there pickups is the best for hand tools, at least for me.  I check one every Sunday after church.  Those folks go to auctions and buy all the boxes filled with junk.  One or two items will be treasure.  Get familiar with the quality names so you can recognize a deal.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

davidv

WOW, I didn't realize so many people were selling antique tools in my area. Thank you for one more reason to spend my time on the internet rather than doing what I'm supposed to >:(. Jk, thanks for the advise.

beenthere

Whoops!
Sorry about that david.  Do the homework first....it is more important. :)
south central Wisconsin

CHARLIE

I agree with Beenthere.  Know something about the tool you are going to buy and buy the best tool you can afford.  There is a lot of information on the internet to be gleaned that will tell you all you want to know about a particular tool and paticular manufacturers of tools.  So, by knowing the quality manufacturers and what the tools sell for new, you will know what to buy when you see it and you will know if you are getting a good deal or not.

Don't buy cheap tools (i.e. China made). They won't do the job well and they won't last. Buy a tool with good steel, which to me means USA made, English made, German made or Italian made.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

davidv

What are some manufacturers I should look for, or is there a reference that would help?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Davidv, you're 17 and I commend you for your deep interest in woodworking and tools. A lot of young men your age never have a chance or the WANT inside of themselves to be interested in tools, woodworking, etc.

And thanks to all the members who jumped right in with some VERY good suggestions regarding his question. This is what the FF is all about!

Good luck to you David.....I just wish I were 17 again!  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

CHARLIE

DavidV, if you are going to be looking for quality tools at Flea Markets and such, it is hard to tell you what brand to look for because it depends on the age.  So many good brands went El Cheapo and started making junk in China. For old handtools, primarily look to see where they are made.  The old Miller Falls chisels and old Stanely chisels were good ones.  If you find a good chisel that has been abused, just eyeball it a bit. You might be able to regrind the cutting edge and it will work like new.  Old Stanley handplanes were good. Usually, you can spot a quality tool.  Don't buy junk though, buy usable stuff.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Clam77

Also, if it's rusty, check out the rust.  If the rust is more of a surface rust, it's a good chance it's good steel, maybe even hardened steel.  If the rust is flaky or severely pitted and abused, it's a 50/50 chance, but like Charlie said it can most likely be reground and fully useable.

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

SwampDonkey

Like most everyone said, research the tools and don't buy just because the price is cheap. Sometimes the quality isn't much for cheap and you will be frustrated to no end. A lot of Chinese stuff is made to look alike. You can often spot junk steel when you see what looks like tiny bubbles that have been coated or covered over. Not all Chinese steel is junk, it's just that they put a lot of knock-offs on the market. I just bought a nice fine adjust vernier caliper made in China and it's high quality.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

davidv

I'm used to putting a new edge on an abused tool so that shouldn't be a problem. I can also spot junk steel easily (cause that's all I have). There is a large flea market that I plan on going to saturday, several vendors are selling tools there. I'll post pictures if I find anything.

POSTONLT40HD- Thank you, I agree, far too many people my age are more interested in playing video games or getting high. There's a few of us that want to keep the old traditions alive... but not many.

Holmes

Diston is a good name brand for hand saws and older Millers Falls hand tools are good.
Think like a farmer.

davidv

I just came back from the fleamarket in Springfield with a few tools. I got 2 hand saws, one is Diston and it's in pretty nice condition. The other has a few damaged teeth but it still saws pretty good. I got a hand plane, trying to figure out how to tune it.

I couldn't find what I was really looking for which was a 9" flat draw knife, there's one on craigslist but it's 50$ and I think I could get a new American made one for around that price.

davidv

This is the link to the old drawknife.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/atq/2872764464.html

This is a new one from Traditional Woodworker. It's 55$ but I guess I would have to pay shipping too.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Draw-Knife-8-Straight-Blade-USA/productinfo/49-9310/

reride82

Go and talk to a few pawn shops in your area and find out when their inventory days/weeks are. When I was first starting out thats where I got quite a few of my tools. The better terms you are with the people there, the better deals you can get. Most of the time I was able to get tools for 40-50% off of what they were asking. Apparently they try to get rid of old inventory to put new stuff out. Its a little more time consuming and this was before craigslist became popular.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Thank You Sponsors!