iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do yall do with sawdust

Started by Taylortractornut, February 23, 2012, 08:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Brucer I was also told the doug fir sawdust would help keep weeds controled so I spread it along my fence line. Didnt do much last year, but were going to do it again this year iam hoping it will work better.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Migal

:) Did some one say  :D pH  :P oh that wasn't a pine dust okay alkaline use a swimming pool test kit or soil sampler to know if pH is high or low and adjust for ashes to ashes and dust to dust  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

bandmiller2

Sawdust does some of its best duty as a mulch and insulator.The chunkier circular sawdust drains better than the fine stuff and is pleasant and warm to work on in the winter.If spread around mill foundations it ether keeps the frost out of the ground or limits its depth.My first mill was setup beside a creek, the snapping turtles thought the sawdust pile was great for egg laying.Moving the pile in july I would run into snow clumps. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Taylortractornut

We spread the dry stuff on the roads   insided the landfill on the  cell.   It provides traction for a few days till it saturates in wet weather.    WIth our rules we have to  dispos of it in 2 weeks.      So Ill windrow the wet stuff a few days with the dozer then run in with the paddle  wheel scraper and pick this up and use it for a daily cover then caver that with dirt.         I had a bout 1000 yards get soaking wet.     I stock piled it   for a year.      THen  rolled it every 2 days and now its black as my   mother in laws heart.      I may get a test on it to see if its composted enough for the  market garden.

I had a pile of 200 yards and mixed  in 30 of manure    I mixed the pile and turned it for 5 months on a 5 day rotation and it stayed at over 140 degrees and made some good compost.     I wished we could still compost it on site.     Its eazy to keep turned with the dozers.     I may start briningsome homeas itpermits    and windrow composting it.           It just takes a while to turn with the loader. 

Horse  people will take it for a few bucks a load but in the summer when the poultry barns are changing little they   buy most of it in the summer.      I traded a  lod of shavings for a load of fresh chicken poop.   mixed it  here with 2 loads of  sawdust and the nitrogen in it  made it go down in a few months.      Put the mix on the garden and in the yard.   THe lot i put in the yard caused me to mow every few days. 

Dad said when he wa a kid that the bootleggers  used to  make whiskey in piles where an area was being logged and a mill set up.      After a while the piles would heats up and  the  mash could be cooked by the   heat.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Busy Beaver Lumber

A growing trend here in Indiana is to take the sawdust and make wood pellets out of it that can then be used in stoves with variable speed conveyors to heat your home with. More and more each day I see more places like the big home improvement centers and the farm supply stores selling these pellets by the bag full. I have actually had a few fellows call me an want to buy my sawdust off me for just that use.

The machines to make these pellets were initially quite costly, but have been coming down in price over the years as most things do. Avoid the Chinese made ones at all costs as they do not last long and getting parts for them appears to be very difficult if not impossible. There is actually one manufacturer of pellet mills here in Indiana that appears to get good marks and if memory serves, they offer a decent machine for around $5000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-yTZ3lftyYw
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

paul case

When I get too much sitting around I put it in my litter spreader and spread it on my pastures . The bermuda grass seems to do real well with it and I probably only put about 1000lbs to the acre so it is real thin.
Many times I have had a neighbor need ing some for animal bedding or whatever and I load it in their truck real reasonable, making many smiles. ;D
BTW poultry farmers near me have to pay $900 for a 45' walking floor trailer load of green oak circle sawdust, and it is hard to get.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

SwampDonkey

Some of the pellet making machinery is made right here. Why import them when machine shops are all through the country.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JBS 181

Burn some of my sawdust. If you look on the internet under sawdust burner you will come across a 55 gallon barrel along with a 30 gallon barrel contraption that is built into a stove. I put one together and put it in a small 20 by 20 workshop. If your work shop is well insulated it works great as it puts off some nice constant heat. The drawback is once you light it you can not open it again until it is out. The best part about it is it will burn 8 hours, at least mine will. Running my bandmill all day I will produce enough to charge that stove with a little left over. Of course in the summer you will accumulate extra. I would think this might work well in a small green house in the cooler months where maybe you could set a couple of them and always have one going.

beenthere

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on February 25, 2012, 09:22:20 AM
........ There is actually one manufacturer of pellet mills here in Indiana that appears to get good marks and if memory serves, they offer a decent machine for around $5000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-yTZ3lftyYw
A normal complaint is the cost of upkeep, as the die will dull fast and not make good pellets. May just be a matter of getting the die re-surfaced.
Here is a manual to show the parts inside.
http://www.farmtek.com/wcsstore/EngineeringServices/allbizunits/techdocs/109743.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

What few mills there are around here sell it for horse bedding etc .The cabinet shops give it away .

A rather large mill has a co generation facility where they burn it for fuel to generate with steam .

Another close to me might have mountains of it then it dissapears every so often .I assume it gets sold for charcoal,pellets whatever .They have a railroad spur so I assume they blow it in a box car maybe ???

I don't actually make much myself although a few planks through a thickness  planer certainly can generate a lot of shavings I must say .It goes to the woods a wheel barrow full at a time .It'll burn if I toss on the slash plie and smolder for week .You about have to toss it over some brush or else it never will catch a fire .

Brucer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 25, 2012, 12:48:33 AM
... I have always heard that lime helps to raise the ph and also to break down sawdust in fields and garden. ...

Barb did some research for me. Lime raises the pH (less acidic) but it also generates ammonia from nitrogen-rich soils so you end up losing a lot of nitrogen. Wood ash is recommended for reducing pH because it doesn't have the same effect on releasing nitrogen. And here I thought she was just using wood ash because it was cheaper :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

Wood ash has been used for years and anywhere you spread the stuff on grass it grows twice as fast. ;D

Don't plant taters in it though unless you want scabby potatoes.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

Those clips of pellet making machinery are interesting,lets see, a solid front brake rotor drilled, cast iron castor wheels,an aumotive rear end driven with a PTO. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

We have old charcoal flats in many woodlots in this area.  Iron ore and iron making were prevalent from the early 1700s on.  Charcoal was used in the process until the coking process was used, probably the late 1800s.

Every time you run into one of those charcoal flats, the best timber in the stand would be on the sides of these flats.  Nothing would be growing on the flat itself.  We always believed it to be the higher amounts of potash in the soil that washed in from these flats. 

My uncle always put wood ashes on the garden.  It was all about adding potash, according to him.

On the flip side of this, I had one guy tell me that since he felt wood ash was good for the soil, he felt the liquid coming out of his chimney would be good for his trees.  He had an airtight and was burning it at too low of a temperature, so his liquid was creosote.  It killed the trees. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

rmack

QuoteEvery time you run into one of those charcoal flats, the best timber in the stand would be on the sides of these flats.  Nothing would be growing on the flat itself.  We always believed it to be the higher amounts of potash in the soil that washed in from these flats. 

I had an area on my acreage where I burned a bunch of slash. after a couple years things were growing all around it, but not in it (about a 15' circle)

so i used the backhoe to spread the black stuff around the adjacent area and ran back and forth over it with the loader, backblading and mixing as best I could. and then planted lawn.

without any watering, in the time it takes the lawn to grow an inch outside the general vicinity of where the fire was, it will grow 6-8 inches inside the zone. in fact, it is kind of a pita when it comes to mowing, because that area is always so much thicker than the rest of the lawn.

so it seems like whatever prevents stuff from growing directly on the burn site can be negated with a relatively slight dilution with surrounding soil.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Don_Papenburg

JBS, could you explain , draw a picture or two , or show a picture of your sawdust burner?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

pyrocasto

Don, I believe he's talking about the old ways of burning sawdust. You cut a hole in a barrel, put a tube from bottom to top in the hole, and pack it with sawdust. Pull the pipe out and light from the bottom. I actually do the same sometimes when I need to rid myself of dust, and make heat at the same time.

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMdRRhVJorY

Brucer

Quote from: redbeard on February 25, 2012, 02:25:14 AM
... I was also told the doug fir sawdust would help keep weeds controled so I spread it along my fence line. Didnt do much last year, but were going to do it again this year iam hoping it will work better.

Barb uses straw for mulch and it works really well.

I think the problem with sawdust (at least from a bandmill) is that it packs enough that it holds moisture and germinating weeds work their way up to the top just as they would in soil. Straw has a lot more air in it and the weeds kinda stop when they hit it.

Sawdust on a path gets walked on so that may make a difference.

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on February 26, 2012, 09:48:17 AM
... My uncle always put wood ashes on the garden.  It was all about adding potash, according to him....

Yes, it's really high in potash. It's also good for increasing pH. Obviously if you've already go more potassium than you need then you'd better find another way to adjust pH.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

When you live near ocean the rain water brings potash from the condensation nucleii in the rain water. Usually coastal areas aren't lacking. In fact where their was once ocean or salt flats like in New Brunswick and Saskatchewan you have some of the largest deposits in the world. ;D

At university when I attended they used potassium chloride salt on the walkways. One spot in southern Sask where I drove through was a huge salt flat near a small town. That town, besides Winnipeg, Manitoba and Medicine Hat, Alberta was about the only place I saw life on that trip. Other than the antelope wondering the prairie grasslands :D

Cutting Edge

http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/19308

Here are plans for building a sawdust burner.  Just click the "View and Print This Publication" link.  Comes in pdf. format and FREE.

Pretty good idea really, I guess for once the "ole' cuttin' firewood heats you twice" gets reversed kinda!   ;D
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

JBS 181

Sorry it has taken me awhile to respond but, yes, I got the idea from the video pyrocasto has posted.

acco1840

I bag it up and get $5 per 20KG bag.

MikeON

I have a batch of maple sap boiling right now on a sawdust burner.  Currently burning maple planer chips.  Search for the thread "Uses for Sawdust" in 2009 to see pictures. 
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

Mooney

This was posted to our facebook wall the other day by Sägewerk Gnadendorf from Austria. Not a half bad idea! 

Bandmill Bandit

I made a pail hanger on my dust chute and I bag it in the large 4x4x4 totes and the small 50lb feed sacks.  The big bags go the to the drilling industry and the haz-mat Companies. The little bags are going to the Haz-Mat companies and to an feed store for bedding.

I will get some pics of the bagged saw dust to post.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!