iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not quite food

Started by LeeB, February 22, 2012, 10:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

At least not yet but will be shortly. Lindy got him loaded up this morning and he's off to the butcher. This will be the first beef we've raise start to finish. He was supposed to go months ago. I'll be gladto get him off the feed bill. He should be good with all the grain he's had.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

I prefer one that's bigger than a normal slaughter weight myself. Looks like you'll be eating good and just in time for BBQ season.

reride82

I love home grown beef, it always amazes how bland store bought beef can be. My dad always said that that very few people get to know their beef from calving to the dinner plate. Dad came across a deal in the mid nineties where a meat shop was going out of business and was able to pick up some better equipment  ;) We went from using the dining room table and a converted hand crank meat grinder to stainless tables, 3.5 hp grinder, stainless bandsaw, and chainmail gloves  ;D What used to take all day to process a cow, we can do in an afternoon now  :o Although some of my childhood friends thought it a bit morbid to find out we knew the name of the beef we were eating, especially if it was an old hamburger cow that seemed to always get dubbed 'granny'. Ah, the look on some peoples faces when you told them we were eating 'granny' tonight  ::)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Raider Bill

How long do you pen them before slaughter and is there a better feed during that time I should use than plain hay and sweet grain or corn?

I have a couple cows in Tenn. which are kept at my neighbors farm. He takes his right from the pasture to the slaughter house without penning them on grain. I find his meat to be a bit tough and very very lean.
One of mine is almost ready to get sent but I want to do it right. Any suggestions?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

Our Cattle gets moved off the Ranches to a feedlot about 6 months prior to processing and fed finishing rations of corn, soybean meal and alfalfa or grass hay if alfalfa isn't available.  Sometimes soybean oil is added to the formulation for additional protein along with vitamins and minerals.

Raider Bill

Another question I have is how long do you hang it after slaughter before cutting up and packaging? I've heard 14 days.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

Yes, that will age it just right in a cooler that is at least 34 degrees.. :)
Leave it Whole though on the rail for that.
Anything that isn't edible gets trimmed off when processing.
Covered in fat is key though.
If this thing has no fat on it don't wait that long.

Norm

Depending on how old he is I'd give him 3 months on ground corn and alfalfa if that's possible. Keep him penned in a small area so he's not out burning it off.

LeeB

Steak meat got 3-4 months of all he could eat, corn, sweet feed, alfalfe and orchard mix. He was also in a small pen.Hope he isn't all fat. The butcher said he was gonna hang him 2 weeks. Steaks should be ready just about the time I get home.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!