iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need ideas for a small cabin

Started by Sunrise Farms, February 21, 2012, 12:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunrise Farms

Hi guys,
I'm wanting to build a small cabin in the woods for weekends and such, but want some ideas.
I know I can throw something together, but im sure thete will be a lot of hindsight.
Im looking for something around 12x14, maybe 12x16. Something like that.

If you guys had pictures of something like that it'd be great.
Thanks guys.
'84 timberjack 230a
'96 Woodmizer Lt40hdd40
Primero 8 forwarding trailer

Raider Bill

Search for Stump Ranch posts by Jander. He built a nice place in the boonies.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

metalspinner

Are you wanting to stick build it? Logs or timber framed? Use materials from the sight? 

Will your wife be spending time out there or just you? :D

Stick framed and sided with live edged siding gives you the "log cabin  look" without the investment of labor and skills neccesary for log building.  Dragging building materials into the woods will be easier with a stick built structure, too.

Here's a little prototype I built a few years ago for the kids. It's 8x8.

Thinking things through, you might even be able to go modular on a larger plan so you have less building to do in the woods.  That is my plan at some point...
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

Here is one we built in our back yard as a guest house that is close to the size you mention.

A link to the topic as we built it:

And a more recent photo.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Axe Handle Hound

Jeff- I'm liking the live edge fascia boards you have on that building.  Adds a nice touch.

Raider Bill

It sure is a nice porch to sit on with Friends! ;D :)

Sunrise Farms

As much as I like the looks of the logs, i'm a stick builder. I'll saw mostly white pine for the structure, just looking for ideas. I'm thinking something like the one with the porch, but make the overhang a little bigger for more porch space and a larger loft.

Hauling things in the woods isn't a problem, and building on site isn't either.

I'm pretty much looking for a set of bunks, wood stove is a must, porch, a loft for extra people, and kitchen table to play cards on and such
'84 timberjack 230a
'96 Woodmizer Lt40hdd40

Sunrise Farms

How about inside layout? I'm afraid I'll build a cabin that looks nice from the outside, but isn't too functional on the inside
'84 timberjack 230a
'96 Woodmizer Lt40hdd40

beenthere

What are the needs for inside the cabin?
Bunk beds? How many sleeping?
Kitchen including?
Wood stove center?
bathroom?
Closets?
None of the above?
Loft for how many beds?

Function and layout will depend on what you want in the cabin.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

For just a little extra work, you can build a 16 x 24 like this and have plenty of room.

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don K

Did you ever get the rest of the siding on that shed?

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Sunrise Farms on February 21, 2012, 02:15:39 PM
As much as I like the looks of the logs, i'm a stick builder.

Then I guess this won't be of much use, but what the heck:

It's only 8x10. I built it to store random bits of wood for my woodturning hobby. It was also good practice in case I ever get a chance to build one big enough to stand upright in one day :)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Holmes

If you put an 8 or 10 pitch roof on you will get a usable loft. There is a company in this area that sells seconds of their SIPs panels, look on CL. That could be a good way to put on an insulated roof and even the side walls if you want to keep the cabin warm. A good thing about SIPs is it may slow mice entry down.
Think like a farmer.

Lud

Here's a different idea  that I've been playing with.......that could be incorporated  with other cabin variations.  Take advantage of today's tech.

I've been imagining a very steep A frame where the walls are made out of insulated garage door panels that I buy at a garage door auction that comes around to the local county fairgrounds every year .   The panels are light and weather proof and cheap at $100 for a 10 x10 .  One on either side,screwed to some hardwood boards and only hinged  at the top; the sides could be swung up in the summer onto prop sticks for a nice rain shelter and a bug screen deployed for a nice evening sitting area.  Sized right the A frame  could have a door to allow access for a small winter camp cabin.

Haven't worked out all the details but the possibilities of an economicably cheap expandable space intrigues me. ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

TreeWinder

Now that is one fine looking cabin. Great work Jeff.

[/quote]
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

shortlogger

Be carefule not to build it to small you add a few buddies some gear ,table a place to cook and a bed and space gets tight quick. Seems I always end up needing more room than originaly planned.
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Clark

If you want more of a practical, utilitarian plan, check out this link:

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1214491/1.html

He lays out the entire building process for you and I think the design is very efficient but not that large which may or may not fit the bill.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

metalspinner

QuoteBe carefule not to build it to small you add a few buddies some gear ,table a place to cook and a bed and space gets tight quick. Seems I always end up needing more room than originaly planned.

I thought we were trying to get away from all those things. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Here is a 16X24 that won 1st place in one of last year's WM Personal Best categories.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

MM, What wood species did you use on the exterior of your cabin? VERY NICE! I like how you put the baton on the band across the from of the porch.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodchuck53

MM where is that cabin, on your place or for a customer? I hope the wife don't ever see it.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

pineywoods

Buck MM's personal cabin is even nicer. He has created a little paradise that continues to grow when he ain't off sawing...The envy of everyone who sees it.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Hilltop366

Built a back woods camp once with some friends, when it came time to design it I had recently been shown that a square building has more square feet per foot of wall than a rectangular building so I convinced the rest that it was the best way to go, however after a while of using the camp and trying to get things arranged right we have decided that a rectangular floor plan would have been better to divide in to areas of different use like cooking, eating, sitting, sleeping and heating. I now think that a longer and narrower shape may work better.

Two things I did insist on was a door on the front and the back after recalling a incident with a friends hunting camp that caught fire and one guy almost never made it out, it only had one door but he did manage to break a small window out in the back and squeeze through it unharmed.
The other thing was out swing doors for two reasons, one would be ease of opening from the inside in an emergency and the other is the are a few black bears around the area and they can push a door in a lot easier than pull it open, so far the bears have not been able to get in the camp but they do claw and chew on the corner board once and a while.

Raider Bill

Here's a little cabin in Upstate NY, Lot's of storage room....

http://www.scoutingny.com:80/?p=4765

Thank You Sponsors!