iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Transplanting spice bush

Started by OneWithWood, February 21, 2012, 08:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I wish to start a privacy hedge around our vacation rental property 'Elm House'.  After pricing various shrubs I think I want to look at transplanting some spice bush from the woods.  To me spicebush is a nuisance in the woods because it shades out oak seedlings and forms dense thickets; however, I am thinking it would be good hedge material.
I think the next month should be a good time to transplant some to try out.  Any pointers?   
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Autocar

In my neck of the woods there only growing in damp low areas of woodlands but Ive never seen them in river bottom ground but can't say for sure if I ever paid much attenion. Be interesting to see if there grow on dry well drained land.
Bill

WDH

I know very little about it.  Here is a question, though.  Is it shade tolerant in that it likes to live under the canopy in the shade or does it do well in full sunlight?  Some understory plants don't do so well in full sun.

Here, it rarely gets above knee high.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

It is shade tolerant but does well in full sunlight also.  The idea came to me because there is small hedge growing by the barn.  It seems to be trainable by mowing.
Hopefully I can get some dug and transplanted before budding begins. 
One With Wood

RynSmith

Well, these folk say it is considered hard to transplant (click on the pdf or doc), but what do they know?   ;D  I'll be curious to hear how your experiment goes.

Sounds like you'll want to keep it moderately watered at least...

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LIBE3

OneWithWood

Thanks, Ryn.

If I get the opportunity before the plants break dormancy I will give it a shot and let you all know how it turns out.

Personally, I think it is difficult to collect the seed and sow it.  :)
One With Wood

Thank You Sponsors!