iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birds Eye Maple

Started by rick f, February 21, 2012, 05:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

Is there away to tell if a maple tree is a birds eye or not? If so how.
The lot we are on has alot of big 12-20 inch maple on it, I would just as soon not put any birds eye into firewood if possable.

Thanks, Rick
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

thecfarm

I think you should be able to tell by the end of the log. Should see the birds eyes in the end. Should look different to you. I think it would be a "that don't look right" moment. Than the $ signs will light up.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

On the end of the log you will usually see rays going from the center out towards the bark. Also if you bump a chunk of bark off you will usually see the eyes. 

I say usually because sometimes you won't really see anything but once the logs get opened up there can be eye. Generally on a timber sale I will look at the ends of the log decks for rays and if I find eye then I will go back and take a closer look at other "suspect" logs.

Reddog

Rick,
For one of the Cabinet makers on this board and myself, can spot it in the bark about 90% of the time by careful study.
This explains it better than I can type.
One note they don't discuss in the article, is that here in MI we tend to find a higher % of it on north facing slopes.

http://www.ont-woodlot-assoc.org/sw_birdseye.html

Autocar

Take a axe and knock the bark off the log it will show up like a diamond in the ruff.
Bill

rick f

Thank you guys for the info.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

Okrafarmer

Interesting-- it says birdseyes can occur in red maple. I have seen a little bit of curliness in red maple. This interests me particularly because we practically don't have any hard maple down here.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

chevytaHOE5674

I've seen a little bit of soft/red maple with eye in it but I haven't found/heard of anybody buying it for anything other than grade logs. Sort of like curl in hard/sugar maple it really isn't desirable and most of the times just goes as normal grade logs, and it is much more common than birds eye.

My figured wood buyers want soft maple with nice curl in it or hard maple with eye. Have a couple of guys that really like hard maple with eye and curl together.

WDH

I have never seen birds eye in red maple.  I need some!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

I guess I shall have to be on the look out for spalted curly ambrosia birdseye red maple.

;D

Around here, any figuring at all is a plus to the artisans. And they love to use local lumber.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

pasbuild

Quote from: WDH on February 21, 2012, 09:17:44 PM
I have never seen birds eye in red maple.  I need some!

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Okrafarmer

SwampDonkey

We have lots in hard maple, but we also get it once in awhile in yellow birch and white ash. I have seen it in yellow birch, but not ash other than an eye here and there. In the maple I see it in the bark. You'll know it's not bird peck because it's random. Bird peck is in rows around the circumference. One fellow brought some yellow birch eye in from his firewood pile.  :o :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Pasbuild,

Now I have seen it!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rick f

anyone know what makes it?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

SwampDonkey

Lots of theories, but nothing proven.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Reddog

WDH

The cambium parties too much and gets wasted  :).

Thank You Sponsors!