iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rotating files....

Started by mrcaptainbob, February 20, 2012, 11:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

A friend mentioned that he observed a sawyer rotating the file while passing it along the tooth. Claimed it cleaned the file teeth as well as preventing changing the file shape by using only one side. Opinions?  (Mine is that I disagree...) I rotate the file only from tooth to tooth, but would not do it while filing.

beenthere

I see that the files have the cutting teeth in a rotational pattern, but I usually rotate a bit between chain teeth while hand filing without a file-holding jig. If a jig, then rotating in the jig might be worthy of balancing the wear around the file.
Not a biggy , as I see it  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NCFarmboy

Not worth the trouble.  I usually turn the file a little before the stroke.  I think the reason the oldtimers twisted is the old files were not spiral cut like the new ones.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Al_Smith

I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not .Some turn some don't .If you take a few strokes then tap the file on a bench,stump or whatever and knock the filings out of the file it does cut better .That I do for a fact .

mad murdock

I twist the file in the stroke, as I find it helps to maintain a more even profile on the tooth. (it is what works best for me).
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

AdkStihl

Would be kinda hard to do if using a file guide.
I usually do rotate the file 90* after every 3rd or 4th tooth.
A quick tap on the edge of the bench helps remove and cling-ons  :D
J.Miller Photography

wood monger

I learned to rotate the file as I sharpen. That's what I learned so that's how I do it. Whether it makes a big difference I don't know. I guess I've just grown accustomed to doing that. I learned in the early 80"s.

John Mc

Quote from: AdkStihl on February 21, 2012, 10:21:45 AM

the Oregon-style file guides can be turned easily. I'll usually rotate the file after a few teeth. Sometimes it happens almost by accident while I'm filing (my hand turns a bit sometimes as I file, then I regrip on the next stroke).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JohnW

Same.  I've heard of rotating the file on the stoke before, but I just don't have the skill.  I use all my concetration to make a straight stroke the length of the file.  It seems to do fine.  The file might turn a little in my hand from time to time.

nmurph

I twist it as it passes across the tooth and tap it when I'm bringing it back for the next tooth. It's more about keeping the file clean and cutting its best rather than extending the life of the file.

Al_Smith

Quote from: John Mc on February 21, 2012, 07:39:34 PM
Quote from: AdkStihl on February 21, 2012, 10:21:45 AM

the Oregon-style file guides can be turned easily. 

Glad you mentioned that .Those guides have been around since Fido was a pup and inexpensive as well .Everybody seems to think they need some type clamp on device though and give little heed to them .

I use them on occasion myself from time to time just to make certain the angles stay in alignment .

bandmiller2

To each their own,but I think there would be more of a tendency to rock the file as your turning it.I use the clamp on guide and give the file a little twist to equalize wear every few teeth. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

petefrom bearswamp

Johnw is that Unitas with Huff bearing down on him?
I use a square file handle and rotate every 3 or 4 strokes and tap to clean the file.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

JohnW

petefrombearswamp, that's Johnny U (good eye), but I don't know anything about the circumstances.  I aquired the picture a few years ago, and I just didn't pay any attention to the details.  Seeing how Johnny played, it was proably a gainer.

Nice picture of you and your son, by the way and a nice list of equipment.

petefrom bearswamp

John,
thanks for the compliment.
as an aside, the trees we are leaning against are two big White pines at our remote campsite in the Adirondacks at Big Fish Pond.
Since the pic was taken in the mid 90s they were struck by lightning and are both dead.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!