iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Volume of Blade Lube ???

Started by vfauto, February 20, 2012, 08:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

??? Hi all, I am looking for input on how much liquid to be putting on the blade while milling? We all talk about types of lube but I have not heard much about the amount or flow used.

Thanks Frank
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Bibbyman

I use none to all I can get. Depends on keeping the blade free of sap buildup.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

petefrom bearswamp

I agree 100% with Bibbyman
I watch the tension and if heat is apparent, I use lube or if i notice sap buildup

Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

I saw mostly White Pine and Hemlock, with a little hardwood thrown in here and there.
I usually have my water/soap drip set at about a drop every couple of seconds. 
If I start getting build-up I open it a little at a time until the build-up is gone!
I have found that pine that has been dead and standing will require more lube than fresh pine.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

As others said, 1) enough to keep blade clean and 2) some more if blade tension is dropping during cut
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

j rock

HEAT- Is a big factor. Like chuck said , a drop every couple seconds.   J.
whats fun? making saw dust!!

cutterboy

When sawing oak I don't use any lube. Water makes the dark blue stain worse. With other hardwoods about a drop a second and white pine a steady stream. I only use water but I might try a water-soap mix the next time I saw pine.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Peter Drouin

I cut dry, but some times when the pitch bills up then I turn it on full open, and had to drill the holes on the sprayer a little, they would plug up some times. But not no more :D :D ;D good luck
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I watcth sap build up for the most part cause I cut lots of yellow pine. Crotches and other gnarly spots get a fair stream too. i moved the valve to the opperator side of my lt 15 so i could make changes on the fly.Last night I cut in the dark by the tractor lights and came home today to an empty tank. no matter what ,you have to remember to turn it off when done :D
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Thank You Sponsors!