iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticker Size for drying in a kiln

Started by coderis, February 17, 2012, 07:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coderis

I am new to the site and had a question about stickers that are used in kilning opereration.
1. My question is the stickers that you use to stack the lumber in the kiln, should they be dry kilned and planned stickers.
And has anyone used azac 5/8 plastic stickers. This is the same plastic that they are using on door frames and garage door frames so that it does not rot.

I have a Nyle L200 DH Just getting ready to load the first 3000 bd. ft. Hickory for hardwood flooring into the kiln and want to make sure all will go good.
Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
Thanks

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Coderis  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) with stickers in hardwood  we usually cut and dressed them green or dry from the recut plant as long as they stayed in the same batch we also use to give them a slight touch up to bring batches back into consistant specs  I was in charge of 44000 to 65000bft a day going through the kilns so we had plenty of sticks ;)  :)  :D  Now we use to use about .85 of an inch for 2" stock .75 down to .65 of an inch for 1" and 1&½ flooring and furniture stock stick spacing was 2' for 2" stock 18" for 1&½ stock and 1" inch stock was at 1' spacing's placement has to be spot on and inline as as having sticks all over the place can quickly degrade thinner stock  :o :) :( Ill add more tomorrow as I am sure afew others will chime in I Hope this helps for now Mate ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, coderis.  How about a short introduction and sharing your sawing interest.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga_Boy

Hi and welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I ran a conventional kiln (2 to 3 MBF) for about four years and used 3/4 inch stickers.  It's best to use dried material.  I tried Hickory and Oak, the Oak lasted the longest.  I dried mostly 4/4, but did dry some 6/4 and 8/4.  I used the 3/4 inch stickers for all charges.  When I made stickers, I did not think to make thicker ones for thicker material. 
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

coderis

Hello and thanks for all your help.
Well I have 15 acres in pa. with some beautifull hardwood trees on the property. When I bought the property the first purchace was a log splitter. Well needless to say one day I ran a chainsaw down the length of a red oak and instantly the sawmill idea sprung into my head.
Now I cannot bear to cut the first two cuts from the bottom into firewood.
Hence the Timberking 2000 and the kiln.
Now I will be able to make the furniture and build anything I would want and make a little extra income at the same time. It is pretty impressive on how many people want rough cut wood.

Thank You Sponsors!