iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

progress pictures on my bandmill build

Started by bruce29, February 16, 2012, 09:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce29

Thought I would post a couple pictures of my progress . I dissasembled my mill after completion to paint it. I am currently in the process of reassembling it .

Berggie

Home built/modified Linn 1900, Dolmar saw, farmall H with loader. Log rite.

Cutting Edge

I am impressed too  :o  Easy to tell you have an eye for the details!  And obviously very talented.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Bill Gaiche

For what I have seen so far, ita a really great build. Good luck with the rest of the mill. bg

jueston

steamsawyer

Man, Bruce, that is beautifull. It really looks professional. 8)
Countless hours of hard work.
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Migal

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

redbeard

Nice work! heavy duty log turner and red looks really nice on your mill. good job Bruce
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

pyrocasto

Nice looking mill for sure!

How do you add the "teeth" to the chain for a log turner anyway? I never could figure out an easy way.

sandhills

SWEET, what else can I say.  Very nice job.  Also very nice shop, someday I WILL have one with a hoist also  :).

hackberry jake

I wanna know what all of the ten hydraulic levers do!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

customsawyer

That is a very nice looking mill. You are very talented.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bruce29

bandmiller2

A job well done,now an automatic band sharpener and two sided setter, should be a piece of cake. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bruce29

sorry about the typing layout on the 10 control explanation . should of reviewed before posting

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: bruce29 on February 17, 2012, 06:49:56 AM
sorry about the typing layout on the 10 control explanation . should of reviewed before posting

Well, at least we know there's ONE thing you're not an expert at.  ;D  Can't wait to see VIDEO of the beast in action.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Jemclimber

VERY nice job with lots of thought.  I would love to see what you thought of to keep sawdust off the inverted angle.  Is it just a brush? Do you have pictures?  Ever since the galleries icon link was removed from posting link I can't seem to find a particular person's gallery.
lt15

thecfarm

You have to go into profile and redo the icon. I did mine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Jemclimber,I have the same rail setup on my bandmill and sawdust is not really a problem.The little sawdust that sticks seems to just form thin patches and flake off. A brush could be mounted ahead of the "V" wheel if it ever became a problem. Frank C.

eastberkshirecustoms

Very nice looking build bruce29! Have any pic's of your head rig, or are you waiting to mount it to the bed first? How about sharing some spec's and capacities. I see you mounted the controls on the 'tail end' - I'd be worried that some dumb @ss would run into those expensive hydraulics in transport. If I'm correct it looks like you have three roller toe boards, 3 loader arms, and 4 squaring arms (2 powered and 2 manual)? I guess you want to cover your bases for short and long stock! Are you using the overhead cable or energy chain to carry your hydraulics along? Again, nice work and keep those photos coming!

bruce29

I have 3 taper rollers --3 powered backstops and 2 manual backstops. The seat assy comes off in transport & the control station pivots in & out of the way. the cable run carrries the power to the cutting head. I hope to finish painting the head & carriage assy and I will post more pictures.

bandmiller2

Bruce you'll be a good sawyer,and not afrade to adjust and improve your mill.There are many folks that buy a bandmill and are scared stiff about adjusting anything.You are the world authority on your mill,and from what I can see its world class.You probibly could not afford to build and sell them like that. Frank C.

Magicman

You just put the WOW back into wow !!!  That is an awesome build.  It also looks like you are in a very well equipped shop.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bruce29

Thank you for all the responses I have put alot of thought effort, and too much time in this project. I hope it will all be worth it I welded the teeth into the chain. Here are the hydraulic controls LEVERS from left to right:

1. First clamp four-way joystick up and down, and in and out.
2. Third loader arm farthest from operator.
3. The first loader arms synchronized by valve.
4. Second clamp four-way joystick up and down , and in and out.
5. Head travels forward and reverse detent valve, there is a flow control valve located directly in front of this valve.
6. Chain turner four-way joystick to control up and down and direction of rotation.
7. First taper roller.
8. Second taper roller.
9. Third taper roller.
10. Backstops up and down.
I know this seems like alot of controls , but it works well for me. I isolated the second clamp controls after first trying them on one valve.

Hilltop366

Thank You Sponsors!