iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can someone identify this axe? (used for hewing)

Started by ChrisGermany, February 16, 2012, 07:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisGermany

I was scrolling through some hewing videos on youtube, eyeballing various techniques and tools, and I came across a set of French (I assume) videos, including this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=ajbClq33gKk&NR=1

I like the style of axe he's using, and I've seen a similar one in several old pictures from the 30's and earlier, even some medieval tapestry pictures. Is there a particular name for this style of axe, or a dealer who sells them?

I appreciate any information you gentlemen can provide.

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Ironwood

Seems one of the Eric Sloan books (perhaps Museum of Early American Tools) listed MANY styles and countries of origin for the axes. There are ALOT of variation in style. That one in the Youtube video is polless, NO poll or mass behind the head or handle.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

TW

It looks much like the axes used in the wiking age and medieval times in the Nordic coutries. I think the design was intended to minimize the need for iron as iron was very expensive before proper blast furneces were introduced.

Apparently he is trying to replicate an old scandinavian hewing technique known as "sprettelgjing" or "sprättäljning" without any sucsess. This method went out of use soon after the Black Death and this fellow apparently lack that skill completely....... so we can conclude that he is young enough to be born after the Black Death ;D

Rooster

TW,

Thanks for sharing from the "old country".  Are you a hewer? Could you share some techniques or the types of tools that you use? Photos...videos...guest appearance at the "pig roast"??

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

TW

Well......not really but as I work as a carpenter and do some log house repairs at times I know how to hew and occasionally hew a log or two.

Some pictures are on their way into a separate thread.

TW

Thank You Sponsors!