iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modified my Logrite

Started by Magicman, February 16, 2012, 11:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Well, one of them.  I am not suggesting that this is better than the factory design, but I felt the need to retain a feature that I had gotten accustomed to .

I had welded a plate on the end of my old and now retired cant hook.  The scrap that I used happened to have two prongs sticking out and I left them.  These prongs really gripped the log and was especially useful when moving or sometimes actually lifting a log end.  It stabilized and kept the log from rolling.  I missed this log handling ability on the "Whack O Cypress" job.

The end of my old and now retired cant hook.

My idea takes shape.

Welded together.

And painted my favorite color.  Time will tell if these are too pointy, need reshaping, or if I will modify the other Logrites.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Patent Pending????????  ;D

Cha Chink $$$$$$$$$$$

Looks good Magic.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

eastberkshirecustoms

Very nice job MM, I see you've got some skills, other than making sawdust! Isn't that sacrilegious to modify the coveted logrite though? :o ;D

Magicman

Actually I immediately sent Tammy at Logrite a PM regarding this thread and it's content. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Logrite design, and any changes they choose to make or not make is their decision.  There was just one use that I had gotten accustomed to doing and missed that ability.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jueston

Looks like a good mod. Off the top of my head the only downside I see is that the tip of my peavey can be easily replaced or changed to a different style. Where that one you would have to grind or weld to change it.
But it looks great. Maybe if logrite likes the designand they incorperate it in a future design you will get a free one in the mail.... 8)

Magicman

Quote from: jueston on February 16, 2012, 01:50:30 PM
you will get a free one in the mail....

Me getting a free Logerite is a novel idea.   :)    FREE Logrite

Brucer

I improved my 60" Logrite by modifying the handle. I guess I'd better get a picture and send it to Tammy (and post it here as well).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

I snapped a couple of illustrations this afternoon.  In both cases you can see where the "spurs" digging into the log gives you more control and adds versatility to the tool.  I'm sure that I will shorten them, but that is just what was available without me scratching too deeply.   ;D

Grabbing a log and twisting it around.

This is a section of utility pole, but you can see the lifting action that is possible.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

metalspinner

That does look very useful.  I am all the time trying to turn logs from the end like that and the point acts like a pivot and is unstable. Those double points look solid.

jueston,
There's a drive pin holding the point in the end of the hook handle.  He should be able to pop that out to make changes if he wants.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Nope, not so simple.  The ends are pressed in before the roll pins are driven in place.  Kevin had told me at the Pig Roast that the ends really were not "field" replaceable and I'll take his word on it.

cypresskayaksllc

I worked on my hook today too. This one broke so I got a log rite. Turned a new handle for the broke one. Live Oak is tough on turning tools too

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

jueston

WDH

Looks like it works good for you.  For me, it would not work as I use the cant hook to turn the logs on the mill (manual hydraulics, not hydraulic hydraulics if you catch my drift).  The very sharp double points would gouge the face of a high quality board, say walnut or cherry, and leave a gouge or hole that might not plane out of the board.  I am very careful when turning a cant not to let the cant hook point penetrate into the center face, I always try to use the barked face for the swinging point.  The flat end of the cant hook does not damage the face of the board, but the sharp pointed double end on your modification might damage it.

Since you have hydraulic hydraulics and not manual hydraulics, this would not be much of an issue.  Us manual millers suffer all kinds of maladies  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cutting Edge

MM, thats a slick little add-on...its amazing how the simplest things make huge difference   smiley_thumbsup.

WDH, may not work, but maybe you could build one for yours that would swivel outta the way

ex: plate (or socket) on the bottom w/ a bolt thru the center, tighten enuff and have friction keep it outta your way when not needed?
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

WDH

Another thought would be to have two, one with and one without to use as needs dictate.  I only have two standard issue ones now, a 60" and the mega-hook, so this could be a good reason to buy one more  :D :D.

For the manual guys and gals, the mega-hook is the best thing since the Internet and the Forestry Forum, believe me  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yup, I'm thinking one out of three is OK.   ;D

WDH

You are just a "multiple-logrite" kind of guy  :D.  Nothing wrong with more of a good thing in most cases.

redbeard

Your really on to something MM,  maybe removable heads for quick tool applications.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

I am now thinking about that "spin around" idea.  It would need a "click" or indention to hold it firmly in either position, but I think that it is doable.

sdunston

Is it under copyright protection?, Or as they say in China "right to copy" anyway good job on the Mod MM.

Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Cutting Edge

Got that one figured out MM...maybe.  Internal latch, protected from damage, accessed through "pressure" button on outside.  All moving parts inside the tube away from danger.  Might work  ;)  relies on KISS principle.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

woodchuck812

MM, Interesting modification.  I have read through all of the replys and I have a question about the arc of the hook.  I have an old cant hook that belonged to my grandfather and the hook arc in the hook is not a tight "J" it is more open and when it comes to turning logs on the mill I have a fight on my hands for the old hook. I read where you stated that Logrite had this figured out.

Jeff
2004 WM LT40G25, debarker, lapsider. IH 484 w/Allied loader, Stihl 210 and 361, 02 Dodge 3500 turbo/diesel, some Ttimberframing tools.

The more I know, the less I understand.  "Foregiveness" Don Henley

Dan_Shade

Welcome to the forum, woodchuck812.

Logrite has the geometry of the hook figured out.  I wasn't a believer until I used one a few years ago, now I own a family of them!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bill Gaiche

I have a feeling that they have worked closley with the bandsaw industry to build a better hook. The bandsaw mill has really caught on and they have developed a better mouse trap to help the sawyer out. Go LogRite. bg

Thank You Sponsors!