iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Stihl Cap Designs.

Started by westyswoods, February 15, 2012, 07:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westyswoods

I don't know when Stihl went to this new snap lock oil and gas caps.  I recently purchased two new Stihls and find these caps a pain in the you know what. Question is, am I the only one who has problems with these, if so what in the world is the secret. Maybe just too stupid for new technology, never really had any trouble with the old threaded type, other than the occasional forgetting to put on and finding a leg wet with oil or gas.

Have a great day and be safe

Westy

Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Ohio_Bill

I have them on My MS 460 and after a little learning curve I like them .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

bill m

I have them on my ms440 and ms361 and have had no problems. I like them.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

submarinesailor

I have them on my 311 and have had no problems.

Bruce

T Welsh

westyswoods, I,ve run Stihl,s for 30 years now and I did not like the first generation of flippy caps >:(. The latest style cap is a lot better,but I have found that there is still need to improve the line up/sight of eye line up procedure to place and turn and lock. I stick it in the hole and turn it one full turn until it locks and some times it works and some times it doesnt! ITS NOT YOU. Stihl needs to address this. Tim

Migal

Westy I also own two of these new style stihl saws seems to me there are three taps that only line up one way and that's the only way they go on for us with say a bit of a blur in our aging eyes i try to note the way the flip up handle is facing when removing ;)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

zopi

I talked to the stihl rep about it...he hemmed amd hawed..and wouldn't give me an answer...I really want to meet the engineer meathead that came up with these stupid caps...just so I can pour a pint of gas down his back.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

6sunset6

I hate them. Takes me longer to close the caps than to fill the tanks.   My gas cap was impossible to close.   Took it back to the dealer and said " Could you show me how to close this ,please"   He tried ,could not do it either. Typed on his computer for a while and said   There is a service notice on this.     I said What does that mean. He said You get a new cap for free.    Turns out the oring swelled    probably ethanol and a third world supplier  who used another third world material supplier. The gas Cap is better now   , The oil cap is still a PITA.     I have no idea what was wrong with the old style.

Al_Smith

Well I've oiled my leg a time or two from the pair of 200Ts' I own .It's a nuisance but on the other hand I guess my leg won't rust up .Yep they're a pain .

Reddog

Never had real problems with them, but I don't love them ether.

It was just one of many little reasons that drove me to now switch back to Husqvarna and Jonsered.

Tdawg

They SUCK!!! I've had two replaced under warranty. IMHO these are the best saws on the market, but they have to add this crap??? What's the point, threads work fine on everything else ever invented.

Paper Maker

Quote from: 6sunset6 on February 15, 2012, 09:27:22 PM
I hate them. Takes me longer to close the caps than to fill the tanks.   My gas cap was impossible to close.   Took it back to the dealer and said " Could you show me how to close this ,please"   He tried ,could not do it either. Typed on his computer for a while and said   There is a service notice on this.     I said What does that mean. He said You get a new cap for free.    Turns out the oring swelled    probably ethanol and a third world supplier  who used another third world material supplier. The gas Cap is better now   , The oil cap is still a PITA.     I have no idea what was wrong with the old style.
I'll have to check into which models have the cap your talking about. I like my chainsaw but my cap is very hard to put on.
  On the other hand though, I also have a pole saw and a string trimmer with the same style cap that give no problems at all.

Migal

::) Dang and all this time i blamed my poor vision  ??? ???
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

westyswoods

New life, thanks to all for the responses. The fuel cap is not nearly the problem the oil cap is. Yesterday it took me a good two minutes to get the thing locked and then after a few minutes limbing out a top, there it was dangling in the wind. I do look at how it comes off there just is no rhyme or reason as to why sometimes absolutely no problem then others it is a little more than a pain. Now I know not alone it is going back to the dealer, maybe one of those with a recall.

Has anyone had the question answered as to why they changed. Has to be more $$$ to produce than simple threaded caps.

This thread should be read by Stihl design team.

Stay Safe
Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Al_Smith

"This thread should be read by Stihl design team." I'm sure it has been and they have read all of them .

Wishfull thinking if we collectively think Stihl will do anything about them . You've got to look at who you are dealing with and where they originate from .

You'll never change their opinion in a million years .

westyswoods

Yup I know, wishful thinking I guess.

Stay Safe
Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Magicman

At least when they are on, they are on and not loose.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

:D I've so far only managed to break one cap . After that I didn't get so medevil with them .Tight is tight ,too tight is broke .

doctorb

I don't like them either.  I leaked bar oil over everything because of them.  When they're on, they're on.  Getting them there should be easier.  I have kinda figured it out, but it's still takes longer than it should to get it right, and it still doesn't go on correctly every time.  The only difference I see is that, with experience, I now notice the malposition before I start using the saw again.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Reddog

Quote from: doctorb on February 16, 2012, 09:26:04 AM
I now notice the malposition before I start using the saw again.

Amazing how oiling your chaps and boots once teaches you how they shouldn't look.  :-X  :D

cgk60

I have them on my MS 290 and MS 270 and I like them.

Al_Smith

I for one can't figure out why they thought it was such a grand plan to change a simple screw cap to something like a flippy .About the only thing that ever went wrong with a screw cap was the o-ring went bad .However most just tighened them up with a scrench rather than replace a 29 cent o-ring .Over a certain amount of time the screw caps got to a point you needed a set of Channel locks to remove them .

Then you trot off to the dealer and buy a new cap for 8-9 bucks which incidently is about the same price as a flippy .

T Welsh

I,m glad to see everyone else has the same problems with them and its not me getting old and can not see anymore :D. One thing I found out is that you can not fill the oil all the way to the top of the tank with the flippies they simply will not go in and catch. I am going to take a sharpie and draw a line on one of the saw tanks and see if it helps,its just that simple, they need to put an alignment arrow some where for a point of reference as to where to insert the cap,or two color coded lines. Tim

chevytaHOE5674

I have them on a few of my saws and haven't had any issues with them. I like that I don't always have to carry a scrench to open the fuel cap that has usually swelled from the pressure and impossible to loosen by hand. When your hands are cold that flip up tab is much easier to grasp them a normal slippery cap IME. 

Wish my other brands of saws had something similar. 

HiTech

I for one don't like them. Get a drop or two to much gas or oil and they will not close. I will not buy another Stihl till they put screw caps back on them.

Thank You Sponsors!