iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I am back in the pink!

Started by okmulch, February 15, 2012, 06:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okmulch

Well it has been several years since I have had a sawmill (since we closed our Alabama mill down) but I am back in it. 8) A couple of older gentleman had opened a small sawmill business here in Stillwater a few years ago. I had stopped by several times helping them out with their LT40 and showing them some tricks to sawing.I have also sold them several trailer loads of cedar logs throughout the past few years. I had always told them that if they ever wanted to get out of the sawmill business to call. Well several weeks ago I got the call that one of the gentleman had come down with some serious cancer and that the LT40, a tree terminator shear, several whacks of cedar logs and some cedar cants were for sale. After some negotiations we settled on a price of $13,500 for everything mentioned above I just had to move it all off the property. We moved the last load of logs today and I got the mill set up last weekend, here are some pics.

It even came with custom log deck.

Here is a whack of the eight foot logs.

Here is the whack of 12 to 20 footers of cedar.

And finally here are the cants of varying lengths.

The tree shear was sold yesterday for $8250 since we all ready had just purchased one last summer, so that leaves me paying $5250 for the LT40, logs and cants.  Not a bad deal.
Now I just need to get the cedar sawdust flying! :)

I almost forgot the best bonus anyone with a sawmill should have, it came with two LOGRITE CANT hooks!!!! A 60 and a 48. Unfortunately the 48 made its way back to cedarman's mill :( but I still have the 60.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

samandothers

WOW!  Great job, what deal!   8)

Glad you are back at it.

Mooseherder

Slingshot

Looks to me like you should be able to sell about $5250.00 worth of cedar
  lumber from them logs and still have some left,,,, :) :) :)

Bibbyman

You know, those Wood-Mizer mills will saw other kinds of wood besides cedar.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

okmulch

What there are other kinds of wood out there besides cedar? You would think I would know that having a forestry degree an all. :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Magicman

It certainly sounds like you did very well indeed.  Congratulations !!!   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JFarmer

I would like to have your cedar logs. Most of the cedar around here are scrub brush. I was wondering if you know K.C. Andrews. He lives out there in stillwater and had a firewood processor. Just wondering if he was still around?
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

customsawyer

Great deal for you and the others. They are happy and so are you makes it a win win for all involved. I am sure that cedarman is not scared.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

okmulch

jfarmer, do you know where he was set up at? I have not heard of him.

Nomad

Sounds like you made a spectacular deal to me!  Wear a dust mask with that cedar.  Your clothes ain't the only thing collecting that dust.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

JFarmer

All I know is he is from stillwater. He use to bring a semi down here and buy slabs from me and cull logs from other mills around here. WE even built him a bunch of wooden crates once to stack firewood in. I know he sold mostly to restauraunts for smoking wood. He called me a few years ago wanting to buy firewood from different people down here to help fill his orders. I tryed calling him back several times but he wouldn't answer. That is the last time I heard from him.
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

Bibbyman

Quote from: nomad on February 15, 2012, 08:47:20 PM
     Sounds like you made a spectacular deal to me!  Wear a dust mask with that cedar.  Your clothes ain't the only thing collecting that dust.

Breathing too much of that cedar dust and you could end up with a big grin on your face like this guy.  :o
Sawing since '94

okmulch

Quote from: nomad on February 15, 2012, 08:47:20 PM
I have breathed  down so much cedar dust in my life that I have cedar oil running through my veins. :D

WDH

That is the best news that I have heard all day all year!!  Here is another photo of the cant hook stealer.  I saw it posted in the Most Wanted Board at the Post Office  :).  He has been known to hang out in dark places and be a little batty.

Aaron, you are on a roll  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jueston

wow that is a great deal.  8)

Magicman

I thought that he was mumbling something about grits.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

With supervision from the Pigman.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

Only one of two things must have just happened,  either they ran out of food or someone said something bad about cedar. >:(
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

That's about as good a deal as I've ever heard of okmulch!

Ya done good!

What year/model is it?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

okmulch

Quote from: Chuck White on February 16, 2012, 05:37:54 AM
That's about as good a deal as I've ever heard of okmulch!

Ya done good!

What year/model is it?
It is a 2005 LT 40.

Brucer

Nice find! That's obviously a Cedar log deg and not a Douglas-Fir log deck ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

okmulch

You know, there seems to be a "cedarman" virus infecting my thread. There are a lot of pictures of him showing up here. :D

WDH

You realize that the nut does not fall far from the tree  :D.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Okmulch looks like you got a steal i am sure you will cram the hours in on it when you can Mate  :) :) :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!