iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suggested Reading

Started by WH_Conley, February 14, 2012, 08:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

As some know, Our local Jail has started a Carpentry program with 2 purposes.

# 1 Get inmates out of a cell and working to help offset the costs of housing them.

# 2 Try to teach a trade. Right now we are working on a couple of Timber Frames. That seems to have got their interest better than stick framing. I think because it is different than anything they have ever seen before. Makes them feel special because nobody else around close knows as much as they do. A couple are talking wanting to draw up their own plans.

Some of the boys want to know if I can get them some books on Timber Frame construction. The local library is closed due to moving to a new building. Does anybody have any suggestions of books on the subject that are available on line, cheap or free. They are not allowed any internet. I will have to print and deliver.
Bill

Brian_Weekley

One great reference that any timber framer should have is "Historic American Timber Joinery" by Jack Sobon.  You are allowed to download the PDF free of charge from the TF Guild website or this government website:

ncptt.nps.gov/pdf/2004-08.pdf

It's a great way to study many different traditional joints.
e aho laula

daiku

Happy to share that the TFG has sent them 2 copies of our new Timber Frame Fundamentals book.  Thanks to Rooster for making the connection.  CB.
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
www.northernlightstimberframing.com

dukndog

DanG!!! Bout time u got on here Daiku!! ..or is it Clark???
Anyways, Welcome to the Forestry Forum!!!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

bigshow

I never try anything, I just do it.

Rooster

Thanks CB!!

Wow, with all the "giving" going on around here...it almost feels like Christmas!

Or Festivas...for the rest of us!!

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Welcome to the forum, Clark.
Great to see you here.

WH, I have listed here on the forum several posts with the list off books I have read, and it grows every year, as timber framing is a life long learning process.

I have read books that others have said: "don't bother with that book...." to see why they said that. And to learn from other people's mistakes. I take it all in and try to form my own opinion.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

zopi

what Jim said...I would start with Sobon's books...they are not screamingly technical, and written at a level to be read...I would imagine quite a few of those fellows are challenged in the literacy arena...

I cannot think of much in the way of modern carpentry manuals..mostly because I think most of what is stickbuilt today is absolute junk..some great stuff in older framing manuals...

best thing that ever happened to me was an old ex navy shop teacher...too bad he was not able to thump me upside the head... lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Jim_Rogers

What's old is new again.....

I have read the Audel's carpenter and builders books series. They were first published in 1923 and I got the first year's edition. Great stuff.

I read the four book set from Audel's Mason and builders series. Great stuff on the way to do things with bricks and concrete back the old way. I think that series of books was published in 1927.

I am now currently reading the new timber framers fundamentals book that they just put together from articles written in the magazine as a refresher. And to review and reread more stuff. Very good book.

I am also reading Audel's Plumber and steam fitters book series of four books about the old way of plumbing, and such. Great stuff to understand. Not sure what year those were but still go to know and understand.

I keep these book, that I am currently reading, in the "reading room" also known as the washroom. So when I'm sitting there, several times a day, I can keep my mind active while nature takes it's course. I have to spend time there, so I might as well learn something while there. :P
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

zopi

I am always trying to find more Audel's guides...they are hard to find here for some reason...I have the Mason's, and millwrights and mechanics guides...couple of the machinist's guides..

I will wind up scoring a set and an estate sale or something one day..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jdtuttle

When I built my timber frame addition I used "The Timber-Frame Home" Design- Construction- Finishing, By Ted Benson. It was informative & has good examples.
Jim
Have a great day

WH_Conley

The guys have really dived into the Timberframe Fundamentals. A neighbor brought them some books also. One thing they have plenty of time to do is read. We now have 2 frames cut, I will try to get some pics posted this weekend.
Bill

dukndog

That book "TF Fundamentals" is a great one!! has alot of info!!

WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Thank You Sponsors!