Got some strange lookin wood here.???

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tobacco Plug

Is it cypress?  Some you've SCUBAed up? :-/
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Fla._Deadheader

Nope. It's MAGNOLIA that we drug outta the brush.
   First, it is ridiculed;

OneWithWood

Spalted magnolia at that!  More than likely very, very, very rare Southern Florida Spalted Magnolia. 8) 8)
You better get with Swede and figure out the marketing el pronto!  :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

Don't let that stuff go to waste.  When my brother built his house, he bought some from a local sawyer for $2.50bf. The guy had quite a bit of it, so he took some samples to a trade show in Atlanta, and some guy bought all he could provide for $11.00bf. You probably won't get that for it, but it does make beautiful and interesting panelling. :) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

The guy we are working with, had us cut it as Pen and Pencil blanks,(1" X 1") and Bowl blanks. The bowl blanks are 2" thick, and 4" thick. Measure 4" X 4", to 9" X 9". ;D ;D
  Logs were small and had to get what there was out of each.  Got a LITTLE Spalted Hickory, but, not a lot of Spalt, mostly ROT, and termites. ::) ::)

$11.00???  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Might have to travel a lil deeper into the brush ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

shopteacher

Now you take and put a big postage paid sticker on them logs and send them north. My address will be forth coming.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Tobacco Plug

Magnolia?!  Well, that is just too cool! 8)  Do you advertise the unusual woods you have or do your customers find you by word of mouth?
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Fla._Deadheader

What customers??? :D :D :D :D

We got way more wood than we got customers. ;D

We are poking around, looking for input as to where and how to market the different stuff we get.
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Harold, just a word of caution on that Magnolia. I cut up one log into 4/4x10's a couple of months ago. Stacked and stickered in the shed, on top of some oak that had been there a while. I'm noticing some surface checking on the top of the top layer. No problem with the underside of the same boards, or with the bottom layer.  Guess ya gotta dry that stuff reeeeeallllll slow, huh?

Speakin' of Magnolia;  I was trekking a nature trail at one of the State Parks, not long ago. A sign at the beginning of the trail described the Magnolia as the most "primitive" tree found there. Anybody know what makes a tree primitive, rather than "modern" or "sophisticated?"
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Dan. Don't reckon there is any way to find out who yer brother bought his stuff from???  Maybe we could backtrack and find the guy that bought it all at Atlanta???

We have to be careful with all the river wood we cut, and knowing what ya just offered about the Magnolia, that fits right into our schedule.

Just talked to a buddy and we know where there is a Magnolia log, about 20" dia. laying on the ground.

Guess where we are headed Tuesday??? ;D :D :D

Primitive = oldest known species in Fl.??????
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

I know where to find the guy, Harold.  We need to both stockpile as much of this stuff as we can, so we have something to offer when we go marketing. I have a couple of logs "ripening" in the barnyard, and I need to find some more. They probably will be fresh, and will have to sit for months before they are spalted. :-/
The $11 stuff was panelling all T&G, ready for installation. I don't know for sure if the deal ever went down, either.
The log I cut had been laying on the ground for about 8 months, and only the outer 3" or so was spalted. What sort of condition was your log in when you found it?

Fla._Deadheader

They, all 4 of 'em, were just laying on the ground, in the Palmetto thicket. The guy we are working with was a Forester, and I just got off the phone with him. He has 1 "cookin" also. He figures about 12-15 months from fresh cut, for a 12-15" log???  Check yer PM for super secret info ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

dail_h

I got one pityful yard tree that wuz cut just before Isebelle,does that qualify me for the secret info?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D :D  Is it magnolia???  :D :D :D :D :D

Me and Dan are tryin to corner the market ;D ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

rebocardo

I guess when I cut down my magnolia tree, because it is growing up into my nice white oak (someone planted it less than 12 feet away ...) I will not turn it into firewood. I planted a few seeds from a know "hearty" tree that I am waiting to see if it sprouts. Maybe I will plant them if in 20 years I can get $11 a foot!

swampy

I get to saw this stuff and I don't even get to know. :-X :-X :-X
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

music_boy

Not sure in this case but primative usually refers not only to age as a specie but their seed producing mechanism. Pines are more primative  than say maples. Even amonst the pines,(conifers) there is an "evolutionary scale". Cypress are primative and more so than pine. etc.

Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

DanG

Well, that kinda makes sense, Music-boy. The magnolia's seed pods look a bit like a big fuzzy pine cone. The seeds are bright red, and look like little "red hot" candies.  They form after the huge white blossoms are done with. The leaves are remarkable, too, as they are very large and thick. When they dry and begin to fall, you can hear them hit the ground from a good distance away. :)

Norm

Swampy, check to see if he talks in his sleep. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!