iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

buying cherry by the ton

Started by cypresskayaksllc, February 12, 2012, 05:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypresskayaksllc

Any ideas on a fair price for cherry logs by the ton in N FLA? The logs will be loaded onto my trailer. (not delivered) Theres not a lot of info on the going rate. Most of the prices are for pine. Ive been giving 30-40 bucks a ton depending on quality. 
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

ellmoe

Alot will depend on the quality/size of the logs. You probably know that you will lose the pith on cherry, so small logs have alot of loss. I was paying $50/ton delivered for mixed sizes, 8"top and up , that was before this great economy. Drop the price for poor market and you picking up the logs. I'm in Cent. Fla..
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Ohio_Bill

I'm in Ohio and sell by the BF so I am probably just mudding the water, but I average 70cents per BF delivered to the mill.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

WDH

Grade hardwood brings about $25 - $30 per ton stumpage for a 10" top.  If the size and quality were good, your numbers look more than fair.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cypresskayaksllc

I think my opportunity to buy them is this week or next. We'll see how it goes.

cypresskayaksllc

Thanks for that info WDH. What does 10" top mean?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Sure glad we don't buy and sell sawlogs by the ton around here! I can generally buy cherry sawlogs for $400 / kbf, but if I sell them I don't get any more than $200 / kbf. Ah yes, that old pith is a stinker. I think the Doyle scale works best for cherry-- really punishes the small logs.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

$200/MBF Doyle is $25/ton.  $400/MBF Doyle is $50/ton.

Okrafarmer

Sounds like he'd be getting a pretty good deal.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!