iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

video of some soft-ish ground

Started by 1270d, February 12, 2012, 02:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

I was trying to move very slow since my phone was balancing on top of the computer.  The deepest ive found so far was 36 feet.                             

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zddsdnXEDmc

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

1270d

snowstorm

good one. got the door open and your life jacket on? had to cross a spot last week i knew was ice just didnt know how deep the water under it was. cut a hole with a chainsaw pushed a stick down 15" of ice 2' of water brushed it in an went

Jeff

Can you still traverse okay on those spots?

Can't help but think of this....
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,217.0.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

1270d

No trouble driving and skidding on this, since there is a decent root structure from the tamarack.  Very light 8 wheel forwarder is amazing, and use plenty of caution building the brush mat.
believe me, I have no desire to be like that timberjack you linked.  The forwarder operator and I call for a pull immediately if we break through, no wallowing= minimal sinkage.
although it is neat to see trees swaying 20 yds away because of the ground instability

thecfarm

I have a bog like that too. Never freezes over. Kinda scary.I have no idea how deep it is. I do know I've had water go over my boot a few times when I step into a hole.There is a small mud hole out there that nothing grow there, about 20 feet across.Nothing really worth for a commercial cut on it. I just cut fire wood out of it. I put rocks to get across on on. The ground use too move when I cross it. A couple feet of rocks has stopped that now. Been a road in the same spot for 100 years maybe.Use to be fields beyond the bog.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

We finished a Black Spruce sale a couple of weeks ago, it was on top of deep peat. The harvester operator was taking "soundings" like that, he was getting 30'. Our bogs are too dry this year, there is nothing to freeze. I was popping through with the 8 wheel forwarder constantly, about tipping over becuase it would just break through on one side. Several times I had to take a bucket of wood and extend it all the way to the side to counter balance myself so I could drive out. I didn't think it would look too good if I rolled the forwarder in my first week on the job ::)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!