iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framing with Wet/Green wood....Mold or fungi issues?

Started by morningbird1, February 12, 2012, 11:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morningbird1

Hey Ya'll,

I'm new to the forum but have already received some great info/advice from Jim Rogers and Rooster. I thought I would bounce over to the "Drying and Processing" side of things regarding the drying aspect of my project. I've searched the archives regarding my question but didn't seem to find anything that zeroed in on my exact question...

I am building a cabin/home this upcoming summer (June/July) in MN. I am currently felling all my red and white pine right now. I will be decking the logs and end sealing them. As per Jim and Rooster's counsel, I will wait to mill them to size until just a few weeks before I begin my house. I will then mill on sight with my portable sawmill and then will frame with Green/wet timber. My question for you guys is this...since some of the timbers will be "exposed" on the interior of the home (rafters, ridgebeams and some post and top rail) and parts of them will be framed in with infill(insulation) and sheathing, should I worry about mold or Fungi in these types of cavities?

How long, after framing the structure would it need to "air dry" before I could button it up or seal it all up with insulation and sheathing?
Aside from that, if mold or fungal growth is a possibility, what kind of treatments could I do to the structure to help reduce or eliminate this situation from occuring?

thanks a bunch

Dave Shepard

I wouldn't want to store pine in log form in the summer months. You will get blue stain for sure. Peeling the logs might help, but I wouldn't count on it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

morningbird1

Ok thanks. SO perhaps in April/May I should peel the logs before summer begins to prevent beetles/mold/fungi to take hold of the timber?
Any insight once the timber has been milled and framed into a home? Will mold or fungi be an issue then?

chrisx1

I'm new too, and this exact question is one that immediately came to mind when I considered building a 2x4 frame cabin/house out of green lumber.

What time frame is required for drying before the lumber is enclosed?  Obviously, this would differ based on the climate and lumber, but a rough idea....

I also thought about getting the building to a "dry" stage - walls up, roof on - and then allowing for a drying period while roughing in the plumbing and electrical.

My guess is that it will require a slow down of the typical stick-built home schedule to allow for the green lumber to dry - the question is - how much slower?

Chris

jamesconley1962

Treating the timber for mold/wood rot/wood destroying insects is a lot easier and cheaper than you would think.  There are several ways a person can do it and do it as well as a professional.   The materials can be bought over the net very easily and cheaply.  Equipment is readily available from any farm store.  You could do a lot of the work at different stages of building the cabin.  And it would be a good idea to do it prior to sealing or paints the timbers.   From my years of being an exterminator and living in the sticks, log cabins can be a nightmare when it comes to Wood Destroying Insects; mold and wood rot.  If you treat the structure properly the issues with these will be minimal. 

morningbird1

Thanks Dave for the insight...would you happen to know a few of the products you speak of or perhaps provide a basic breakdown of what that process would look like?
I'm obviously quite new to the process and would hate to timber frame a structure, finish it improperly and have mold growing inside my home because lacked the education to take the appropriate steps.
Thanks for your help

Thank You Sponsors!