iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garrett trans trouble ?PARTS? real bad day.........

Started by trooperTdiesel, February 12, 2012, 02:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trooperTdiesel

pulled are spare trans and got it out and took the dran plug out and i got more then a gal of water   :o :o :o

best i can tell its a T98 trans, modded for Garrett 15 logger use, is this right ???

also sadly the Jonson bar was filled with water.
for reference, its bolted to a ford industrial 172CI engine.

also since im at it, any one know autos or equipment the T\case can be found in, or parts can be had for one??

looking at the diagrams on the net the T98 looks to be a very simple trans and should not be to hard to repair from the ground up should it need to be...
im thinking worst case with all that water  eh eh

the trans in are runner is still working, but we know it needs to be repaired\replaced soon.

many Garrett 15s
have a 128 5'x10'x30' MD mill.
as well as worked at Mobile MFG CO in troutdale, OR for the last 1.5 years before doors closed.
you say David Wallace to Ron H, he will know me....lol
2 JD 440 loaders, B7100 tractor, 3 350 J\D dozers 
and many fords and isuzus

doghunter

pull it apart before u give up on it i've rebuilt trans that had water in them usually just kills  bearings gears still good for low speed use find a aftermarket parts dealer [headquarters in new bern nc]  a lot of generic parts are available from them

redlaker1

I opened the trans on my model 10 a while ago and found the same thing,   though maybe not a gallon of water.   one of the guys on here said that it gets in through the shift tower.   I checked it out and I am pretty sure thats what happened.   my machine hadnt been ran in years.     I cleaned it all out until I was satisfied and put it back together.  I think it will be fine,   when I get it going I will run it for a few hours then drop the oil and see what I can see. 

those transmissions look tough and simple though so I think it will be alright.

I have the transfer case apart right now and am going to order the outer seal.  I found the numbers for the seals,   but on the model 10 the transfer case is a tree farmer part I am pretty sure,   because all the parts are stamped "TF" and a number.   

one question for you    what do you mean by a jonson bar?     or are you talking about a power bar  like with a socket drive?

good luck,   I got myself a manual for my model 10 from garretts a little while ago,   and have been taking things apart on my machine and figuring it out.   getting lots of help on the forum too

trooperTdiesel

Quoteone question for you    what do you mean by a jonson bar?     or are you talking about a power bar  like with a socket drive?

some models have reverse gear in the main gear box, this one has no reverse gear in the main.
there's a small gear box in front of the main box that has one to one gears.
its more or less the manual trans version of a John deer power reverser, but has nothing to do with a J\D.

i really don't know if Jonson bar is the proper name but that's what we have all ways called them.

so you can run in any of the 8 forward gears in reverse. 8)
should i ever be in the mood i could go the MAX 20 mph in reverse if i was so inclined to do some thing that dum.

so say your driving in 3rd low about 5/7mph, you can stop. put the Jonson bar in reverse and use the same gearing combo in reverse.

but with a normal trans, you go from low 3rd to high reverse and it will barley do 2mph in low its about 1 mph or less :o
thus literary making turn around time longer with out the jonson bar :D
many Garrett 15s
as well as worked at Mobile MFG CO in troutdale, OR for the last 1.5 years before doors closed.

trooperTdiesel

photo testing...............

hmm no go, granted i did get one in the gallery.

i think its over the 2028KB limit.....
many Garrett 15s

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

redlaker1

wow   thats a neat looking machine!

sounds like that reverser would be nice,    I havent driven my 10 yet,   but I hear the reverse gear is REALLY slow

beenthere

That Garrett pictured must have the reverse feature, as the tires look to be mounted to get traction in reverse, not forward.
Hope to see that rig up and running. 
8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redlaker1

trooper   could we get a few pictures of one of the transfer cases in those machines.     I am curious to see if it is similar or the same as the one in my 10

mad murdock

Cool machine!!  I have a model 15A skidder, with the ford diesel.  Your machine must have the reverser (johnson bar) installed as it is a yard machine as well as a skidder.  Mine has the reverse geara in the main transmission, and the transfer case is hi/lo.  Almost the same tranny though I think.  I think it is similar to a lot of old truck trannys of the day (circa late 50's-mid 60's).  I would think that you could find what you need by checking with some of the longer established shops around?  Good luck, I hope you get it going, that log fork setup looks REAL handy!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

trooperTdiesel

the loader model has extra wide axils, and a large counter balance on the rear, since it can lift a log near 12 feet in the air  :o so we just turned the rims around to transport it.
it was over the 8'6" wide mark and its rated to lift about a ton or a little more.

so normal is the other way.
are logger models also have the reverser, other then the one we have for parts.

the plan was to pull the trans from this one, get it working, put it in the gas logger, to keep down time to a min.
and then go thru the trans of the one from the logger and put it in the loader. to take the place of the 440 track loader at the Mobil saw mill we have.

the frame was made about 5/6" longer then a model with reverse in the main box.

are diesel logger model is "extra strange", it has the Jonson bar as well as the reverse in the trans.
so it has one gear that is a touch slower then the normal 1st gear low since reverse is a touch slower then 1st gear.

based on that info that tells me that the two types of tranys are quite likely universal just the guts are different.

ill see about more photos....

many Garrett 15s

thecfarm

Seems like someone just had a thread about keeping water out of the tranny by putting a rubber ball over the shifter and putting some caulking around the top????
I found it,reply #55

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,44818.40.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lumberjack48

My 1968 Treefarmer had a Ford truck  transmission.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

smwwoody

T98s were Real common in older Ford Jeep and Dodge trucks.  Never saw too many in the chevys.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

DDDfarmer

The older farm tractors always seem to get some water in the tranny now and then. There would be enough to keep the tractor from moving until thawed.  Very simple crack the drain open a little, place tiger torch and heat till the water quits running out.  Never had a tranny quit or act up, but they are ripe and red.

Tractors are like watermelons, keep the red throw the green out......
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

John Woodworth

The trans in the 15 is the same trans used in the Ford flat head 1.5 ton trucks and will probably be hard to find one, clean it up, replace the bearings if needed the gears should be fine. The reverser you have was a add on as the machine came stock with the standard transmission and the reverser could be purchased from Garrett.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

saltydog

I found mine half full of water and froze solid.Heated it up with my torch drained it rinsed with diesel fuel drained again .added 90wt.that was 5yrs ago never a problem.they dont turn that fast (like a truck at 60 ).These old machines are simple i love um .good luck.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

trooperTdiesel

i have not had the time to open it up yet.

but we did find a place that sells the bearing kits.
many Garrett 15s

Thank You Sponsors!