iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need sawmill info

Started by Matt sawsalot, February 11, 2012, 10:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt sawsalot

I need to get a sawmill for under $5,000, what mills are out there for that price range? I know about the logosol but I need something I can pull behind my truck or 4wheeler not real crazy about it.  I'm torn with what type saw  to get, looking to get pro's and con's on blade type, chainsaw and band mill type.  I'm a good welder and have all the tools to build my own mill but not sure if it is worth it with all the time it would take to build it and get all the bugs worked out.  Maybe someone knows about some plans some where out there or could guide me through a build.   I need it to mill all the lumber to build a house about 800 Sqft.  I'm in NC now if that helps.  Please let me know boys if you can put me in the direction. Thanks

-Matt

WDH

Look at a used Wood-mizer LT15 for that money.  If you can't find one, buy a new one, build your house, then sell it for almost as much as you paid for it.  You will love it, and probably decide to keep it.  Some call it a hobby mill, but only because it is manual and not as fast as the hydraulic mills.  It will cut just as well as any mill, only slower because of the log handling and turning.  Since you are a good welder, you could fabricate a trailer to haul it on or you could buy the trailer package from Wood-mizer.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

In my opinion, the ez boardwalk jr is probably the toughest mill you can buy in that price range and comes portable real easy. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

matt sawalot,welcome to the forum. Ever been around a mill before? You mentioned chainsaw mill? Never seen one in action. Takes a big saw and time and a lot of work. More so than a manual band saw mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

Hi Matt, welcome to FF.  For your proposed budget I'd  go with WDH's WM LT-15 suggestion probably because I have a WM.  You won't go wrong with them.  I would skip over the chain saw options if I had to do it again.  Only other option is to be real patient and maybe you would get lucky and find an older LT-30 or LT-40 fixer upper for a real bargain.   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Matt sawsalot.  There are some very recent threads about members looking for a sawmill at that same price range.  There were also many suggestions concerning brands and possible locations and sites for finding used sawmills.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

For the price range you have, look around for used.

Most often, a used sawmill is still in very good condition!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Matt,

There is a wealth on knowledge here and you will get great direction.
As a suggestion, consider thoroughly what you need to saw for the house (size and material)
Based on that it will help guide you to the size saw that would best do the work. 
Of-course a little more saw is better than a little less :D.

My experience in that price range is you will be able to go bigger in the used market.
or smaller in the new market.  There are some fine FF supporters on the side of the page, look them through
and be honest with yourself.

Best
DGDrls

medic

Matt
  Welcome to the FF.  Where in NC are you?
scott
Westfield NC
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

Stephen1

Matt, welcome, read a lot here, there is a wealth of info. I started with a chainsaw mill, moved up to a used mill on a trailer that needed work, $2500, did some work on it and used it for 3 years, then moved up to a used hydraulic and love it.
Knowing what I know I would bypass the chainsaw mill, they are really great if you want to cut large slabs, but a lot of work for building lumber.
A manual mill is a great way to start.
good hunting
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Matt sawsalot

I live in Jacksonville NC out at the coast but from Upstate NY.  I've been doing the whole Marine Corps thing for 15 years trying to keep my head down and make it to 20 years so I can get out and continue building furniture full time and spend some time with my family.  8)

-Matt

Magicman

Matt, continue to keep your head low, and Thank You for your service to our country.   smiley_clapping
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The woods around there are thick  :).  Onslow County if I remember right (and not too fondly).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kevinlt15

Yes I agree with magicman, thankyou for your service to this great land smiley_clapping

3 years ago I came across an lt15 with the basic setup. I welded up A track extention And transport.

This was done well within your budget.

good luck on your search Kevin

Silver_Eagle

Thank you for your service to our country.

Here are a couple of link's and don't forget to check the for sale link here on the Forestry Forum "For sale section."

sawmillexchange.com
sawmilltrader.com

Matt sawsalot

Your welcome for the service not everyone feels that way, I would like those people to please stand in front of use if they can't back us. hahahahhahaha.... :D  Just kidding Obama, I know you don't like us ether.
I've been keeping an eye on the for sale section here.  Being from NY and having a Grand baby up there I try to make it up there a few times a year so if anyone hears of a saw for sale from NC to NY let me know and I can pick up on my way. Got out of work early today for a big change so I'm off to the shop to finish my wife's fireplace mantel. Have a good day.

-Matt

samandothers

Hey Mat!
Thanks for the Service to our Country!

Post some pictures of your work.  I'd like to see the mantel. 

There is a LT10 for sale in Thomasville near Winston Salem/High Point NC.  It is on CL but does not give model in ad.  It is 3 years old about 700ish hours as I recall has the basic engine somes with some blades and an extra log dog I think it is listed for 3400.  Although I think new right now for the LT10 is not much different.

Chuck White

Thank you for your service Matt.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!