iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What a splendid day!

Started by DanG, February 12, 2004, 10:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Today was a rain day, and we knew it was gonna be, so we scheduled a trip to Tallahassee to run some errands and get in a visit with my parents.
One of the errands was to drop off my Echo chainsaw at the dealer to find out why it quit running. I think it is fuel related, but it is almost 2 years old, and I wanted them to look it over. While there, they offered me a deal on a new Echo CS-300. It is an arborist's saw, 32cc, with a 14" bar. $189, tax, tag, title and out the door. He threw in a 6 pak of oil and an extra loop of chain, to boot. Ain't fired it up yet, but I got a feeling that will happen first thing in the morn. ;D 8) 8)

After the errands, we got to the folks' house about 2:30 and sat down to visit. It was obvious, after about 30 seconds that 4 old deaf people can not have 2 conversations in the same room at the same time. Dad and I retreated outside, so I could brag about my new saw. He was carping about not being able to find some items, so we started looking through some boxes of "Stuff" that were on the garage shelves. We soon found ourselves pawing through boxes of old hardware that hadn't seen the light of day in over 40 years. It was leftovers from the business he closed down in 1962, and much of it had been purchased by my Grandfather in the 30's and 40's! The business included floor covering, awnings, both canvas and aluminum, venetian blinds, and window shades. There were many highly specialized tools and hardware items that were used in these ventures. Now my Dad, at 84, has finally realized that he isn't going to use all of this stuff ::), so he was willing to part with a generous sampling of the old hardware items. I came away with a backseat full of it, and he made sure I knew what all of them were, and how they were used. I was familiar with most of it, already, since I worked with him for a couple of years. There are a bunch of old tools he won't quite let go of, but he said they were mine when he is gone. I'm in no hurry.
One tool that had me stumped was called a "sink scribe."  I knew it was a scribe of some sort, but I couldn't quite pin it down. It was used to get the exact fit necessary when covering a kitchen counter with linoleum. There was a rim of extruded aluminum around the sink, and the linoleum had to fit exactly into it, so it wouldn't leak. I'll bet my new CS-300 that none of you has a sink scribe. (if you do, I'll probably welch on the bet.) :D :D :D
As we were winding down, he took down a nice old Disston hand saw, and told me the story of how he got it, back in the early 50's. He said he felt it was worth saving, but he don't have the wind to run it any more, and he wanted me to have it. It has been neglected a bit, and has a liberal coating of surface rust, but you can tell it is a fine old saw. I'll get the rust off and take it to a good shop for sharpening and setting. I'm quite sure it will be my favorite, from now on. :)
I'm not sure just when my Dad, or I, had such a wonderful time!  There are several more boxes, too, so we'll be doing it again, soon. ;D
After all that, we piled in the car and went to a local buffet house for supper. We all bellied up to the trough and made ourselves suitably miserable, and called it a night.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

EZ

Them old guys are a blast if you let them be. My Grand-Father was Native American, lived with them when I was a young pup. Sure do miss him.
EZ

Haytrader

Them old guys are a blast if you let them be.

Yeah, and thier dads are a lot of fun too.

;)

DanG, sounds like you are starting to adapt to this retirement thing.

:)
Haytrader

Frank_Pender

Good for you DanG.  I hope you have many more such visits with your father.  8)  They will be cherrished forever, you know. :)
Frank Pender

Stephen_Wiley

Always enjoyed the time with older relatives and friends.

Old tools tell a story - many times the quality is enduring, and the care is noted by its owner.

Sometimes a treasure hunt can be described as: finding a tool you know nothing about ..........then finding the old timer who can tell you all about it.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...........I think Frank may have a few tools, yet he wishes to teach me about. Especially putting that new mill together.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

OneWithWood

Dan,
That truly was a wonderfull day 8)
I could feel the pride and emotion in your words.  Good times with a father when cherished items are passed down are the things that really make this world go 'round.  The pride and satisfaction your father has for a son that turned out alright is evident.  Much like the pride and satisfaction you showed when you wrote about your son.
Yep, you will be smilin' and brightening the days of all you meet for a while :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shopteacher

Glad you had a good time and a great visit. I really feel sorry for these kids today. A lot of them don't have fathers, some don't know who their parents are and others have parents who are to busy for them.  Your situation wth your dad is not the norm any more.  Cherish the time you have together.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

hiya

I had a great aunt who lived in Williamsport Pa. She had a renter, Ed, who did woodworking. When he was up in years he lost his sight.So my wife and I would go fix things around the house for my aunt. After we were done Ed would want me to come down to the shop. As soon as we were in the door he would start on safety about each tool he had.(by the way he had ALL his fingers) On day he ask me if I could use a jointer, I was thinking of getting one. So he gave me his. He gave me the bill of sale. He bought it in 1943 the year I was born. It cost $350.00 then. so you know it was a good one.I still use it today.Some day one of my sons may have it.
One of my uncles would like to have it, he aks me how I rated. I took the tine to visit, he didn't. I learned a lot about wood working from Ed.He's long gone now,but I can still see him in his shop.
Richard
RichardinMd.

UNCLEBUCK

Sounds like a great day you had DanG , thats what I call a Mayberry Day like my favorite show . Relaxing and just the best.  Hey you have a Disston and so do I . My dad wants to hang the disston on his wall in his house , sounds good to me !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Duane_Moore

Good for you, DanG, thats the best yet. always will remember those time with my granddad. he also gave me a disston. has a cherry red handle on it kinda rounded style, he had it for years, a keepsake for me ,  God Bless  Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Bud Man

Good stuff Dan, your post's add much to the Forum !      To have your father at the time your own retirement comes around to stare back at you in the mirror is truly a blessing indeed !     I lost my father at the age of two and had no male figure in the house, till six years of age, when an uncle came form Boston to live with us.  I always marveled at his wood working abilities and tools that he worked with and treasured.  Not to long ago I visited him and while his wood working days are a distant memory every time I visit we seem to end up in a very dusty shop much like your fathers must be.  Before our visit ended I told my Aunt sheepishly, that there was something I wanted after my Uncle's passing.   It was a ratchet like screwdriver that he always used to fasten screws into his wood projects that he took so much pride in doing.  She then told me that it was already in his will that I was to receive the item and she had no idea what he was talking about.  She told me she had meant to ask me for several years what it was but she had always forgotten to ask and was glad I brought up the subject. I had never brought the thought to my uncles attention and never told him I wanted the screw driver.  Funny how some stories seem to be similiar when people of similar likes come together as they do on this Forum !   I think another visit is in order,   Thanks for reminding me !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Thank You Sponsors!