iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoking at a gas station.

Started by Jim_Rogers, February 11, 2012, 05:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday evening, on the way home, I stopped off at my local Sunoco gas station where I get gas sometimes to fill up the SUV.

While I was pumping the gas, into my truck there was only one other customer at the islands pumping their gas, I noticed out of the corner of my eye someone walking between the 16 pumps.

As I turned to see if there was a car over there that I hadn't noticed. You see I had an accident at this gas station a few years ago, and I'm always worried that some fool will barrel through the pump area on the way to the store again and hit me like what happened before.

And there was no car over there. But this guy was walking around looking into each trash barrel next to each island. This was an employee of the gas station as he had on a Sunoco blue shirt and colors.

This FOOL was smoking a cigarette.

I stopped pumping my gas.

I couldn't believe that he was doing this. He walked right behind the other car there to look into that barrel to see if it needed dumping.

I didn't say anything but was going to reach into my truck and get my camera and take his picture. That was to show his mother what he used to look like before the explosion, but I remembered it was here on my desk.
It will be in my truck tonight.

I couldn't believe that this guy did this, and it really upsets me to see someone who's suppose to know better doing something like this.

I was thinking of taking his picture and then going in and getting his boss's phone number and calling him up and tell him what I think of this guy, and what he was doing.

This was something, to me that was really stupid to do. And this was no kid either.

I'm sorry but I really don't like it when someone in the gas station smokes when I'm there.
Life is too short for some fool to cause an accident doing something stupid.

Would you have complained to someone?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

Too many people just think..... Nothing will happen to me, everything happens to people I don't know.

I think given that opportunity, I wouldn't hesitate to snap a pic and report it to his boss.

There's one in every crowd!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Jim
A couple weeks ago when pulling up to a traffic light, there was a car stopped in the right lane. As I approached to go around, the light turned red. Also, a guy smoking a cigarette was putting gas into this car from a small gallon gas can. I looked in the review mirror as I waited and he gets down real close to see ( I guess). Expected to see some fireworks at any moment, but didn't.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

TimRB

Once I was gassing up at a self-serve station.  A carload of teenagers drives up opposite me, and Larry gets out to pump the gas, cigarette in mouth. 

Larry's buddies:  "Larry, you idiot! Put out that cigarette!"

Larry: "It's okay.  I used to *work* in a gas station."

Tim

SwampDonkey

I complained one time to the owner of a gas station once who smoked around the pumps and the shop. He said watch this. Had a jug with the top cut off with gas sitting in it. Tossed the cigarette into it, promptly was extinguished. That was his attitude about it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

The likelihood of a problem from that behavior is pretty low.  The preventability of that problem is pretty high.  Stupid is as stupid does......
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

clearcut

When I suggested to a woman puffing away while fueling her car that she might put her cigarette out, her response, "These are gonna kill me one way or another."

Carbon sequestered upon request.

jdonovan

Quote from: clearcut on February 11, 2012, 10:01:08 PM"These are gonna kill me one way or another."

Giving the hand of fate a push is a sure path to an exit from the living.

sawguy21

My buddies stopped on a lonely stretch of road to check on a vehicle with the hood up. The guy was working the throttle and using a lighter to illuminate the carb throat. They didn't stick around. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ironwood

Worth mentioning to ANY parent with kids that use car seats, UNBUCKLE them while your near the pumps, IF there is a fire imgine how hard it would be in a panic to get them unbuckled. I just mentioned this to a young mother the other day  at our Sunoco. Things happen, like the lady saying "there gonna kill me one way or another" yeah you idiot just dont take me and my family with you, let natural selection occur elsewhere.

Personally I like to stack the deck in MY favor if possible. I just got from the shop working on my "luck" (1230 am on a Sunday morning)
Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sparky1

it seems that all the people smoking at the gas station are employees.. 90 % or better that I see are workers there.. It too blows my mind. Im not a super smart man, but ive seen what gas and a match do. I use them together alot for burning brush!

The reason that throwing a cigartte into a gas can *might* not blow is becuase gas isnt so likely to blow up.  The fumes are whats the problems. That is also what is all around the gas station.
Shaun J

doctorb

Ironwood-

Your suggestion about unbuckling the child seat when filling up is theoretically a good safety tip.  However, for most of us mortals hurrying to get somewhere else after the gas station, I very much worry that you might forget to re-buckle your child's seat, especially if they just calmly sit in it throughout the gas stop.  There is a much greater chance of injury to an unbuckled child in a moving car than there is from a fire at a gas station.  The latter is very, very rare.  The former happens every day.  So please, if unbuckling your child to be able to extract them if an emergency occurs is your practice, be diligent to rebuckle.  All it takes is a sudden stop, without your car striking anything, to send your child flying.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

jim king

Here they will not put gas in any vehichle that is running or has a passenger in it including the driver.

Thank You Sponsors!