iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price for rough sawn walnut?

Started by Brad_bb, February 11, 2012, 04:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

What would you expect to pay (per BF) for dry (air dried) rough sawn Black Walnut boards that are mostly 1X6, 1X8, 1X10, 1X12, all between 7 and 8 feet long.  I found a guy who was moving and needed to get rid of them and I know I got a good price, but want to know what range would be typical for the rough sawn stuff.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

Would all depend on the grade (quality).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

Only a few boards with wane, maybe a half dozen with sapwood on one side, maybe another dozen with a knot or two,  a handful with some branch crotch wood(all a plus in my book to give interest to a piece), the other 30 or so boards pretty clean.  You could use all of it in making furniture stuff.  There were 51 boards total.  I rough calculated about 215BF.

SwampDonkey

$3.00/bf for the lot. That's just a number I tossed out there because nothing is graded and no indication of MC and some are under 8 foot.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I sell it for $3.50 to $4.50 per BF based on grade.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Woops, double-posted.  :-[  See below.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

I would say WDH is about right. It is going to differ in various parts of the country and with the source, the quality, the grade, and so on. Planed walnut, F1F and better, should garner around $6 / bf. or more, especially if professionally kiln-dried and planed.

It sounds like a lot of the boards would qualify as FAS.

Don't forget that the NHLA grading rules are a little different for Walnut than for most hardwoods. For instance, 6' long boards are allowed to qualify for FAS lumber. The rules for walnut allow more defects, too, including wane, if I recall correctly.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Ironwood

Around here the priced spec'd seem about the same. Also, I have seen several instances of "stored in barn for 2, _____ , 50 years" I need $1 or $2 bucks for it and I would not give them ANYTHING for it. So, if professionally done, stored properly and kept well then I think the estimates are good.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

Heck I've seen some walnut that shouldn't even have been in the Select bundle, knots and surface splits that would have to be planed from 1" to 1/2" to be usable. On my new bench drawer faces the 8' piece I used was about 1/2 usable and one side had surface splits like someone took a gouge to it for a couple feet. With the knots in it, it was bowed left or right (which ever face you want to look at) like an archer's bow. Junk is junk in my opinion. Can you sell that kind of junk down there?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Yes, but the price is lower.  If real sappy but straight, I can get $2.50/BF.  On the sappy and bowed stuff (since the boards that come off the sap ring are bad to bow), then I can sell it for $1.50 - $2.00 for people who can use short lengths.

The stuff that I have cut has beautiful color at the transition, ranging from blue, blue green, vermillion red, and sometimes all of them.  Some love it and some won't touch it, just depends.  It is very hard to find around here. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

I unloaded my truck last night. For board foot calculations I'll say they are all 7ft, but many are 8ft.
1X12's-quantity 7
1X10's-7
1x8's -10
1X6's-13
1x5's- 14
222.8 BF
One 1X10 has a split, but I can use a bowtie and use it in a project.  One 1X5 is bowed beyond use, but all other boards look like they'll plane out fine.  Can't wait to plane some.
Calculated cost = .90/BF  I think I did ok, especially since they're aren't many sellers of walnut around here.

Red Pill

WDH

You will get arrested for stealing if you do that again  :).

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Okrafarmer

I thought this might be an appropriate place to share this video, just found it on you-tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcLlKcXp40

:D :D :D

SwampDonkey

I bought cherry and butternut right off the saw for $0.90/bf before.  8)

Okrafarmer

Some people have it and sell it cheap. Those are the people I'm looking for!

Brad_bb

Ok, I find the "Highly Valuable Black Walnut" video's very funny, but Jeff (forum owner)does not.  So let's not get him started again.
Yes it seems like it was a good deal to me.  I did not bargain with the guy, he offered his price and I took it.  He was obviously in a hurry to clear out  in preparation for his move.

Okrafarmer

Thank You Sponsors!