iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Step by step - hewing an oak timber

Started by ChrisGermany, February 10, 2012, 11:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisGermany

Hello, I hope you're all well. This is my first post on the forum; I've lurked for some months, reading and learning, and finally decided it's time to say hi. Name's Chris, and I live down in the piney woods of Mississippi. Here's my stumbling, bumbling attempt at hewing an oak log down to a 4X4. Be forewarned ...I'm still a new hand at hewing and haven't gotten the knack of it yet. But I'm trying.

Found the basic techniques in an old book detailing how tie-hackers cut railroad ties. After reading that and peppering my Papaw with 100 questions (all of which he answered and demonstrated with perfect technique, even though he hasn't hewn a log in decades -- the man is truly skilled), I got started. Figured I'd post a few pictures and a play by play to help other newcomers to the almost-lost art. The camera is cheap and blurry, but squint just right and you'll make it out. 

I pulled an 18-foot, 8-inch diameter water oak log to the front yard, where I chopped a v-notch about a foot from each end and hooched it onto a pair of cedar logs I'm using for sawhorses. The notches at either end prevented the oak log from rocking atop the sawhorses. Don't have any log dogs yet, but those are on the list.

Normally I just eyeball the log and chip a guide-line down it with my axe instead of popping a chalk line, but I was trying to make it pretty for the camera this time, so I broke out the square and a marker. Mark your center lines, then put a level or ruler against the small end of the log where you'd like to mark your top line. Make sure it's level, then draw your lines with a carpenter's square for a guide (the one pictured is from Scotland, and it's over 100 years old. Got it for free from an antique tool enthusiast). It's not perfectly true, which is likely why it was free...but I love it anyway. Head down to the large end and repeat the process, adjusting for any bow or crowning in the log.

Take a draw-knife (bought from the same guy as the square; it's a foot wide and cost $20) and, starting at the top left or top right of your square, shave the bark in a straight line from one end of the log to the other. This will allow your chalk line to pop without catching or smearing on the rough bark. Don't shave the whole log or it'll be wet and slippery. Just shave in a line the full length of the log.

Drive a nail into the end of the log, in line with your top right or left corner, then hook a chalk line to the nail, stretch it across the log in a straight line, and pop a line. That line will guide the depth of your notches later on.

Stand on top of the log and swing the axe down and between your legs. Notch to the line, or just before it, depending on the number and depth of the tool marks you want showing on the finished product.

Notch about 6-12 inches apart. Once you finish, your log will look like this:

These notches are wide and messy, but they improved with each side of the log that I worked on. The tighter and more v-shaped you can make them, the easier your life will be during the next step. Now that you're done notching, start at the large end of the log and split off the "juggles". Juggles, as they're called, are the chunks of wood between your notches. Swing the axe at about a 45 degree angle into the edge of the juggle, and it ought to split cleanly away from the log. If not, just work your axehead deeper and try to pop it loose. This step is called, as you might expect, juggling.

When you're finished juggling the log, it'll look like this:

Now, get back on the log and use your felling axe to find high spots or sections that didn't pop off to the line and score them lightly. This is the prep work for your broad-axe. It allows you to spend just a few minutes hewing with the broad-axe instead of hours bent over with that heavy monster. The more work you can do with the smaller axe, the better off you'll be. After scoring, your log will look like this:

Now you're all set. Before beginning work with the broad-axe, get your juggles and line them up on the ground beneath the log, running down it's length. This will give your broad-axe a cushion of wood to slice into if you miss the log or swing too hard and follow through to the ground. Otherwise, you'll dull the blade on dirt and rocks.

Starting at the large end, use your broad-axe to shave off the scored portion of the log, hopefully leaving a smooth, flat surface behind. Work backward toward the small end. It's much easier to hew working backward than it is to lean forward and work ahead. The broadaxe pictured here is a cast steel piece with an 11.5'' cutting head. Bought it for $20 and shaved down a 26'' oak handle for it. I was told its original purpose was the hewing of big softwoods and that it's not optimal for use on smaller hardwoods like this oak, but it's what I have. We'll make do.

When you reach the end of the log, it should be smooth and flat, with a few tool-marks here and there where you might have cut too deep or too close to the edge. I like to call those "character marks".

It's best to hew both the left and right sides before turning the log to hew the other two sides (which I neglected to do this time, apparently). It saves you a lot of handling and time. Here's the finished product:

He's got a little low spot where I hewed too far in, but I'll take it. Hope ya'll enjoyed reading.

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Texas Ranger

Welcome to the forum, Chris, and good job.  The old timers around here seldom made them that smooth, with lots of ax/adze marks.  One question, how much time involved from the first stroke to finish?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Riggs

Really nice post, thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

ChrisGermany

Thank ya, sirs.

It took me about 4 hours, poking along with my slow and steady strokes. The axe wanders if I don't work slow and deliberate.
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Radar67

Welcome to the forum Chris. Good to see another member from MS. Are you close to the Hattiesburg area?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

dukndog

Welcome to the FF Chris!!
Great story and we luv pictures!!!

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Macgyver

That looks great, nice to see people still practicing this kind of stuff.  Any plans for the new lumber?
Smile! It confuses people

WildDog

Welcome ChrisG, nice work.    Have you got a project lined up for the finished posts?

Your fortunate to have your skilled Papaw to guide you, good on the two of you for keeping the past alive, make the most of it as one day he will be gone and there will still be questions you wished you'd asked.

I took a trip down to dads farm a couple of weeks back, even though I thought i'd heard all the old stories of farm life on my grandfathers farms,it was surprising how many new ones I came home with.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

ChrisGermany

Quote from: Radar67 on February 10, 2012, 01:38:20 PM
Welcome to the forum Chris. Good to see another member from MS. Are you close to the Hattiesburg area?

Yessir, I live about 30 minutes North of Hattiesburg. Just outside of Soso. Thanks for the welcomes, ya'll.

As for the timbers, I'm not sure. I cut several water oaks this size for practice, because they don't seem good for much except firewood. No great loss if I ruin them. They've checked pretty bad and the bugs seem very attracted to it, even when it's stacked off the ground, so they may wind up as pretty stovewood.

Radar67

Quote from: ChrisGermany on February 10, 2012, 02:09:46 PM
Yessir, I live about 30 minutes North of Hattiesburg. Just outside of Soso. Thanks for the welcomes, ya'll.

You are only 20 miles from me. We may have to get together sometime.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ChrisGermany

Quote from: Radar67
You are only 20 miles from me. We may have to get together sometime.

Sounds like a plan.

WDH

Spraying the beams with a borate solution will keep the bugs at bay.  I enjoyed your post.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Chris.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ChrisGermany

Thanks, folks. For the advice and the greetings.

Here's a couple pics of a pine log I tried this weekend. Parts of it, especially near the top and bottom edges, wanted to tear away and leave long grooves rather than shear cleanly. Reckon the axe needs a better edge put on it. 

frwinks

welcome aboard.  Great work on the logs
Is your axe this sharp :o...mine sure isn't ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx0n6EA9aBI

ChrisGermany

I wish it was!

But since you mention it, I did save my pennies and order a John Neeman bearded broad-axe, along with a dual-grit sharpening stone.

Logs beware.

frwinks

that is one sexy axe Chris.  Mr. Neeman is banging out some very nice tools at great prices 8)

ziggy

Quote from: ChrisGermany on February 13, 2012, 10:26:43 AM

But since you mention it, I did save my pennies and order a John Neeman bearded broad-axe, along with a dual-grit sharpening stone.

Where did you pick that up?

ChrisGermany

I like to crawl ebay for low bids on old axes, and I noticed that one on sale at a very affordable price. Once it ships and makes it here, I'll gladly post some vids of it in action.

frwinks

Quote from: ziggy on February 15, 2012, 09:56:01 PM
Quote from: ChrisGermany on February 13, 2012, 10:26:43 AM

Where did you pick that up?

Hit up nebruks on here or TFG

Be careful though...this might get expensive :D  These guys are pressing out some sweet tools 8)
http://forums.tfguild.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=26660#Post26660

ChrisGermany

On the topic of axes and hewing, has anyone read the books by Michael Beaudry (The Axe-wielder's Handbook and Crafting Frames of Timber)? He looks, from the youtube videos and search engine hits, to be a very knowledgeable man.

I'm just broke from buying axes and books already, so I'm pinching pennies.  ::) If anyone has read these and has an opinon, I'd be interested to hear it.

Jim_Rogers

I think I have both and if I do I read both.
And they were great.
I have met the man on several occasions.
He's a very nice guy.

Also, I have a video that I put together from a lot of short clips of him doing a demonstration at a guild event.

It's available for $5 plus $1.95 shipping if anyone wants one.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Rooster

So that would be 695 pennies, Chris....better start pinchin'!!
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

ChrisGermany

Hah, if I pinch any tighter, they'll pop out of my hands. Went ahead and bought the books. Thanks for the info, Jim.

4speed

Chris,
   I have enjoyed reading your posts. I have checked out the tools on the Neeman site and will be purchasing a broad ax soon. This building is directly across the street from my office. It was moved into town years ago and is maintained by our local historical society. I walk through the breezeway several times a day on my way to the court house or jail and always enjoy looking at the hand hewn timbers.

ChrisGermany

Thanks for the kind words, sir. I'm glad someone enjoys my fumbling attempts.  smiley happysmiley

One of these days, I'll measure up to the iron men of days gone by, but there's a long row to hoe in that direction! Much learning to do and endurance to build.

The building in your post is beautiful. I love our rough-hewn American style. It's definitely man's work, and I can see why you'd like visiting that place often. I'm jealous. We don't have anything like that in my hometown.

Thank You Sponsors!